Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weird gt40 miss/stumbling - please help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2018 at 4:21pm
It’s the 300m tune
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2018 at 9:05pm
Ran the boat for 40 minutes today. on 4 or 5 occasions during this time I had an engine stumble while on plane and the engine either died or almost died. I went to neutral, the rpm either stabilized or I restarted the engine. I was thinking in my head that my fuel pumps were probably going bad so I headed back to the dock. On a whim I went to town and picked up some contact cleaner, and the returned and disconnected the battery and ecm in order to clean the contacts. I Sprayed contact cleaner on the ecm pins and the harness connector, let them dry and then assembled. I also unbolted the ground connections from the bell housing and doused them in contact cleaner, and re-assembled. After that we ran the boat for about 1.2 hours. Right away the boat stumbled once and caught itself at 1krpm but after that it didn’t miss a beat, I’m back on to thinking the stumble/die issue has been due to a bout of bad gas or water in The gas that worked its way through the system.

I’ve been having similar low power/ stalling issues on a jet ski that I have which I filled up with a Jerry can that was in my garage for 2 weeks during the hot and humid part of summer. I think I put 12 gallons of this same gas in my boat at the time as well.

Hopefully tomorrow is another good day.

Kyle
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2018 at 2:41am
Fuel does not age well anymore.   If it is 6 mos old or more get rid of it.
If you go in lawn mower shops they will have a sign up warning owners of using bad gas.
Maybe your gas was not that old and maybe it is just water in your fuel.
I had a BMW once that had water in the gas tank after a major body repair.
I am sure they left it open while outside in the rain.
We finally cleaned it out using alcohol.   I don't remember what kind we used but I was told the alcohol would disperse the water off the bottom of the tank and help it burn as it traveled through your fuel system.
It worked for my car.   With a flashlight you should be able to see in your tank. Water is visible floating around like a bubble in the bottom of the tank.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I had a BMW once that had water in the gas tank
We finally cleaned it out using alcohol.   I don't remember what kind we used but I was told the alcohol would disperse the water off the bottom of the tank and help it burn as it traveled through your fuel system..

Mark,
Heet in California?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2018 at 3:17pm
I think I used rubbing alcohol purchased at the local pharmacy.
I might have been listening to Hotel California! Saw the Eagles live several times back in the late 70's.
On one ticket at the Oakland Colosseum we saw, America, The Eagles, The Doobie Brothers and closed out with Chicago.   Great Show.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic