NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A different kind of impeller failure

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A different kind of impeller failure
    Posted: August-13-2018 at 11:05am
Welp, after 12 years of ownership and hundreds of hours on dozens of lakes, we finally had an impeller failure and overheated our beloved 2000 SN w/GT40. My track record of being an amazing inboard owner is totally messed up now. The boat's fine though the smell of fiberglass resin behind the boat as the skier certainly had me concerned for sure.

First, the story, because it's ridiculous: The night before this we did a lake cruise with the boat at idle for about an hour. This would have been a great time for the impeller to fail, and of course it did not. The next morning we decide to deploy the slalom course, which I do about once a year up north at the cabin. Of course everything is fine for that 30 minutes of deploying the course. I have Beth ski first, and the boat is fine. Perfect conditions, stars and moons aligning with the lake quiet and no wind. Truly a heavenly morning, the best of the best, the spice of life, what it's all about. After her set, I jump on the platform and hop in, ready to take it all in and enjoy it.

Beth starts up the boat and hits the throttle and as I pull out of the water I notice the boat sounds different, seems a bit steamy, and I'll be damned if it didn't smell a bit like burning plastic back there. I damn well knew what happened, but in the back of my mind I thought maybe I was just being paranoid and perhaps everything was fine. Maybe I was hearing things, maybe somebody was burning plastic on the lake. 34.2mph, through the gates, SLOW system kicked in by 4 ball and we swam it in. Was running a nice tight line and perfect times up until then.

By the time I swapped the impeller the wind kicked up and the lake lit up with tubers so that was that.

Upon close inspection the impeller had a hub separation failure. This is the second time this has happened to me, the first time was in the same pump on the 83 MC. The vanes all appear fine and the impeller simply separates at the hub for a total and instant failure. I have no idea how old this impeller is so I'm guessing 2-5 seasons. I've had too many boats so I've lost track. I'd been on the Hollywood/Pete "every year is too often" kick but this failure has me wondering. Totally ruined the morning.

The cut in the impeller is from me cutting it post-removal.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 11:13am
Ha, that's the same and only impeller failure I've ever had.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 11:28am
I have seen where the hub disbonded from the rubber but always felt it was due to an overheat (run dry) first causing heat.

Joel,
How weedy is that lake of yours this year?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 1:38pm
No weed issues, crystal clear, spring-fed and perfect as always. The boat sits on a lift so it's not like it's even trailered or ever run without water. On these Sherwood impellers it seems like there is not enough surface area due to their limited depth, so more frequent changes might be advised. Nearly every other impeller/pump I've seen on other inboard motors has a much deeper impeller and that much more surface area between hub/rubber.

Notice it's not even a bonding failure- the rubber actually tears off of the hub as there is a lot of residual rubber still on there.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Notice it's not even a bonding failure- the rubber actually tears off of the hub as there is a lot of residual rubber still on there.

Joel,
I shouldn't have used the term disbonding. I feel that impeller ran hot and the reason I asked weeds and them plugging up the intake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 5:56pm
My group of ski friends have all gone with a 2 season use of our impellers.   Run them 2 full seasons and change it before the third year.   This has eliminated our impeller issues.
We are in California and our summers are hot and long so they may age faster here.
It does not seem to matter how many hours are on them, it seems that time is what makes them hard and they fail.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 5:59pm
I buy the Sherwood impeller kits for about $25. For me, it's cheap insurance. My impeller gets changed out every spring. Overkill? Perhaps. Peace-of-mind? Yup. NEVER had an over-heating issue.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I buy the Sherwood impeller kits for about $25. For me, it's cheap insurance. My impeller gets changed out every spring. Overkill? Perhaps. Peace-of-mind? Yup. NEVER had an over-heating issue.

JQ

+1 then I just reuse the old as a spare.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic