Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

firing order

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gbyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: firing order
    Posted: August-06-2006 at 10:43am
how do you determine a firing order on an 86SN with no Model ID tag on the motor? And THEN any idea on how to determine #1 on the cap since they are not marked? I guess i could do the TDC thing, but will the rotor be in the same position on the compression stroke as the exhaust stroke. Haven't messed around with this sort of thing in 20Yrs - Can someone refresh my memory, please?

thanks,
greg

Greg
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 2:53pm
1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 Get #1 tdc, and see which post the rotor is pointing to.
Tim D
gbyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 3:31pm
Hey Tim, thanks for the reply.
did the TDC and the rotor pointed to 11 o'clock and then after a full turn at the 5 o'clock position. just got it running (not well, just running) using 1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5 and
I thought i got the order right now, but still having the original problem which was cylinders #3&4 are not firing (3&4 exhaust is cool to the touch when engine running) - new plugs,wires, rotor, removed points and converted to electronic ign.
Noticed fuel running in on primary side even after engine was off. Lots of wet plugs. Adjusting float levels and firing it back up. Any ideas on the dead cylinders would be appreciated.

Thanks,
greg
Greg
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 3:51pm
You are confusing all of us. There is no valid ford nor chebby firing order 1-8-7-3...

It is a ford, right?

If you are using timD's order on a RH ford, make sure you are identifying the cyllinders in fordtalk not chebbytalk, else you will be way off.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
gbyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 4:44pm

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/PCM%20Engine%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Page 9 lists 2 firing orders for RH motors -
1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3
       and
1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5

i assume the cyl #'s are same as ford cars
stb cyls 1234
port cyls 5678

RH = engine turns toward the right when observed from behind.

1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 - barely ran on this on (still could be a big carb prob that made this barely run)
1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5 Ran better but still getting too much fuel.
Firing order ran counter clockwise.

adjusted floats (hope i did it right) and now I need to go to the parts store to get a replacement fuel fitting and will fire it up in a while. I will try both firing orders again. It looks like the carb has been off a few times. May end up with a new carb and hope for the best.

Greg
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 6:31pm
I changed my 302 cam to a clevite brand and it changed the firing order to a 351's.
Tim D
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 10:09pm
Somehow I see this moving toward
....The "Question"
..How do you know which is right and which is left rotation
Scott
gbyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 12:44am
After adjusting floats I tried the other firing order again (the one you suggested) and it worked. Water tested it tonight and it runs great, most of the time. Still having issues getting it up to full throttle / topspeed out of the hole, but just sometimes. Hard turns choke it down. In some instances it takes a while for the engine to "catch up" with the throttle position. New carb and set the timing will happen this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I already saw your post on the RH/LH question so I got that part.

You (and this forum) are a fantastic resource.

Thanks for the help. Without your suggestion of the other firing order I would have never tried tried it again.

Really a big help today. Thanks for the great resource.

Greg
Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic