Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley Carb-Power Valve

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley Carb-Power Valve
    Posted: June-03-2004 at 2:01pm
How can you determine if the powervalve in your carb is blown out?

In the process of getting my engine running and timed for the first time I had a coupld of decent backfires through the intake. I've heard this can take out a power valve.

The engine runs great in the driveway, but due to bad weather I haven't been able to put the boat in the water yet. I'm wondering if there are any signs I should look for when I finally do get the boat in the water that would indicate a faulty power valve.

Thanks
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2004 at 9:44pm
awhite - back firing, hard/long starts, and most important runs too rich!
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2004 at 7:26pm
Awhite,

I just rebuilt the Holley carb of my '89 351 because it was acting as danman described. It also put out a small amount of black smoke at idle (running rich). When I tore opened the carb, I couldn't see any obvious leaks in the power valve diaphragm, but it was very stiff. With the new PV installed, the engine fired up instantly, idled much smoother and no smoke from the exhaust.

Jeff
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2004 at 4:20pm
I have an Edelbrock performer Carb and it takes a while to start after setting for a week or so and it runs rich at idle. Does anyone know if this could be the same problem as the Holleys? It doesn't backfire. Any help would be appreciated.
workky View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2004 at 8:26pm
I have an edelbrock performer carb also.I love the edelbrock compared to a holley.It does not have a powervalve in it.YOu might need to get the chart from edelbrocks website and change a metering rod and or jet or spring.Its real easy to do.
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2004 at 10:56pm
Workky,

Did you make changes to yours? If so what exactly did you do? Were you having problems like I described above.

Thanks,
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic