Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

decal woes - grrrrrrr

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: decal woes - grrrrrrr
    Posted: August-08-2006 at 9:55pm
I bought my boat from a guy in Arkansas a few months ago and I'm just now getting around to putting my Missouri registration decals on it.

So I go to take the old decals off and after a good deal of frustration, I finally figure out that someone has painted the shadow around the stickers. Grrrrrrr!!!!!

How in the h--l am I gonna get that off!?

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2006 at 10:33pm
Surely the paint is on top of the gel coat. What about acetone? If worse comes to worse, wetsanding will take it off and if you're careful, you might not have to mess with gel coat repair underneath it.

How 'bout you find out who did the painting and a few of us load up, head to his house, and do some good old fashioned tire slashing? Maybe that would at least make you feel better. Hmmm...probably not though.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 12:09am
If it is paint over gel coat, you can use oven cleaner to get the paint off.

My numbers are painted on. I like the look. BKH
Livin' the Dream

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 12:41am
Chill,
I wet sanded the painted numbers off my 64...I was going to buff the whole thing anyway...

As Brian says... oven cleaner will also take paint...Ive done it on an enclosed car trailer....but,Ive never tried this on gel coat myself..

I also like the looks of painted numbers...but its getting harder to find "old time sign painters" that can do it..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:17am
be carefull I'm betting its paint over paint over gel kote by the looks in the picture, CC did not two tone and pin stripe like the picture shows. what year boat is it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:22am
Agreed, by all means, if is is paint over paint, don't use the oven cleaner. You'll take off both layers of paint an have a real mess. Chris asks the right question, what year is the boat? I was assuming it to be a mid-90s. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:48am
We ran into this once,we had the vynil shop do the numbers on a block or backer piece on vynil
and applied the new over the old and left the old painted numbers there,it was paint over paint.our new vynil was shaped like an arrow it
looked ok I think rectangulerwith radius corners would have been better.

Good luck Munday
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:55am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

be carefull I'm betting its paint over paint over gel kote by the looks in the picture, CC did not two tone and pin stripe like the picture shows. what year boat is it.

Sigh. Not sure what you mean. Two tone gel and vinyl striping is very common on CC boats. Take a look at mine! But, yes it could be painted.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:03am
Hey Chill, just wondering where you boat in Missouri.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:10am
The boat is a 1992 SN. Keep the comments coming. Anyway to figure out if it's paint on paint on gel?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 12:46pm
The early boats were gel coat, and paint was used for the graphics and stripes. On your boat, the black and teal should be actual gel coat instead of paint. You should be ok with the oven cleaner. Just don't get it on the pin stripe, which is a sticker. Don't leave it on too long, and wash the heck out of it when you're finished. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 4:45pm
I the picture explains everything,

I was refering to older models.... 80's and older verses the newer two tone gel's now used. There wasn't enough shown to determind what year it was so that's why I asked what year is it.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 5:34pm
A couple of you have referred to TWO tone gel, but looking at my boat, there are actually three colors on the hull - dark grey/black at the top, teal, then a grey white color at the bottom. So is my gel really THREE colors? Sorry if that's a stupid question.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 6:23pm
Yup, total of 3 colors: primary, secondary and hull/deck. Hull and deck on our boats are usually white- some brochures say other colors were optional but Ive never seen anything other than white. Ive seen boats with a white secondary stripe that look pretty sharp, though.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:34am
Just for interest: The gel was sprayed in layers. First the Silver Cloud (white) was sprayed on hull bottom up to the teal. Then the teal was sprayed from the chine to the black. Then the black was sprayed from the chine to the top of hull.

So, when you grind off the gel, you hit every color until you find the bare fiberglass. Thus it is incredibly thick.

79: I immediately recognized the vintage of baot in the first photo because I am intimately familiar with this portion of the boat while I was repairing mine. So, I guess I had an unfair advantage.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:27pm
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I used acetone tonight to start removing the old paint. I even got lucky and there's no faded paint leaving a shadow of the numbers, so I don't have to wet sand or anything.

Also, I've seen several threads where acetone has been recommended and I just want to say it works just fine on the gel coat. As you can see from the picture, if you compare with the first pic in this thread, the acetone didn't harm the gel coat at all (the AR has been removed).

Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Hey Chill, just wondering where you boat in Missouri.
Chuck

Just noticed I missed this post from The Lake. I'm usually on Bull Shoals lake around Pontiac or south by the dam, and occassionally on Tablerock around Kimberling City.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:38pm
Why don't you just paint over the letters with the original hull color color and start over with new numbers???? Hey just a thought. It might be better than trying not to damage through three paint layers....

Moj'
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:44pm
Chill,
I'm usually on Lake Winnebago, southeast of KC or at the Lake of the Ozarks. Weekdays only at the Ozarks, otherwise my old boat dissappear between the swells of the 60 footers out there.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 7:17pm
The Lake,
I definitely understand the swells. Tablerock in the last few years has become much like the Ozarks. Huge boats, and lot of them, just cruising around screwing up the water. You can't even catch good water late in the evening anymore.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:52am
Chill,
I really enjoy the Ozarks in the Fall; in fact there are times I've been out on the channel skiing or crusing on as calm a water as you can imagine. My family's been going there since 1956, year I was born. But, summertime, particualarly weekends is flat out dangerous. Those boats need to be in BKH's territory, somewhere offshore.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:41pm
Thought I'd post a pic of the final product. Nothing too exciting, but I'm finally done (I'm slow at getting this kind of stuff done - time better spent on the lake!). I think I like the old decals better, but at least I'm legal now - except for that Arkansas registration decal - I'll get to it someday.

Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:42pm
Oh yeah, and thanks to everyone for the input, it was a big help!!!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:02pm
nice job.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic