NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Lever Won’t Stay Put

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Lever Won’t Stay Put
    Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:32pm
On my 95 Nautique, the throttle lever, when pushed forward, does not stay put when I let go of it. It slips back to a 1000 RPM position. Only when I get up to 3000+RPM does it stay put.

Is this normal?

Is there a way to tighten it so I can pull at 2000 RPM and not keep my hand on the lever the whole time. Turn arounds are tough with only one hand!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 12:01am
That is a sign that the cable has a kink in it. Usually caused by being bent too sharp.
Tim D
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:43am
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOR044386
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:40am
So, how does the cable brake work? Does it pinch the cable to increase friction?

It is possible that the throttle return spring is too large on Lakeboy's boat. However, the throttle plate(s) should return to idle if the cable should break. To test, the cable should be disconnected at the control and the throttle plate(s) should return to closed via the spring force alone.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 2:54pm
David, take your cable and bend it somewhere away from the ends, then see how it good it works. I know, mine got bent during an engine swap.
Tim D
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 1:12am
Possibly a bent cable; I can check it out. What keeps the throttle in the position you give it? Friction?

On the 'cable throttle brake' from skidim: What does this do, and where does it go? The official description is: " MAINTAINS SPEED. KEEPS CABLE FROM ADVANCING." My cable seems to have a retreat problem, not an advance problem.

Anyone?

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:55pm
Seems like there would be a friction control on back of morse control never had this problem but would be worth a look

Munday
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:36am
Sorry that this is a bit old, I was just wondering if you solved the problem?

The boat I am buying has the same problem... If I push the throttle lever forward, it will stay, but just touching it, makes it pop back.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 12:50pm
May I ask why are you letting go?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:25pm
I have a '95 as well. Same problem. I haven't tried anything to resolve it yet. It is more of a nusiance than anything. Sometimes you just want to cruise around nice and easy without having to hold down the throttle lever. It's hard to keep two hands on the wheel, throttle and beer can all at the same time!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:31am
Originally posted by tnplicky tnplicky wrote:

and beer

Thats what I thought

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:32am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

May I ask why are you letting go?

Exactly right GottaSki!!! I don't understand why guys want the throttle to stay where they put it? There was just a post here a couple weeks or so ago about putting in a kill switch on their boat and how everybody agreed that it was a great safety feature. This throttle return thing is no different. It's a safety feature working exactly the way it was designed. If for some reason, your hand comes off the throttle lever, it returns to idle. That's what it should do! Leave it alone!

Sorry, just my personal opinion.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:35am
Luckily we're driving CCs and don't need both hands to turn the boat! If I had a throttle that retracted when letting go I'd be extremely annoyed, wouldn't use a kill switch either.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Luckily we're driving CCs and don't need both hands to turn the boat! If I had a throttle that retracted when letting go I'd be extremely annoyed, wouldn't use a kill switch either.

Lets see;
'86 American Skier-throttle retracts
'92 SN-throttle retracts
'97 SN- throttle retracts
'01 AN- throttle retracts
Malibu, Supra, MC, all various years - all had retracting throttles.

I wouldn't get another boat or you could be pretty pissed.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:59am
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, surely I'd lose. Have you ever driven a boat that didn't have a retracing throttle? Surely I realize the danger, however I lean towards the convenient side of a sticky throttle, rather than the safety side.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 1:18pm
Cannot say any of my Nautiques throttle would retract without assistance, they all held position including boats purchased brand new. One example would be that it would interfere with Perfect Pass since you can temporarily reduce speed via the throttle even when set, if the throttle returns to a certain point PP will disengage, kinda defeating the whole PP purpose wouldn't you think? Now regardless it is always a good idea to keep your hand near the throttle however as with all other aspects of pulling your skier common sense is the most important thing to bring to the helm.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 1:42pm
Now I'm confused........ my 95 throttle does not retract, and my 88 did not retract as well. Are you saying it is supposed to retract from the factory ?

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 2:15pm
On my boats I've found that the throttle retracts at subplaning speeds, say 20 mph or less, but holds itself at planing or slalom speeds. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 2:41pm
Similar experience to BKH at low speeds it doesn't take much of a bump to bump it down, higher it sticks more, but it has an added throttle return spring for the Perfect Pass so I blame it on that. Mostly I just set the perfect pass and bump it up and down as needed, even when cruising.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 3:40pm
Sorry Hollywood, not trying to pick a fight at all and didn't mean to make it sound that way. I guess we have to define throttle retraction. To answer your question if I have ever driven one that didn't retract, I'd have to say no, not an inboard. I have driven outboards that didn't retract but they were extremely hard to put into gear in the first place. By retraction, I mean that I've never been able to let go of the throttle without the boat decellerating. Most are fairly slow but they will not hold speed. They might not run all the way down to idle, but I've never tried all boats to see if they do that either. My Skier certainly does and I like it like that. If something were to happen to me as a driver (for whatever reason), I like knowing that if I let go of the throttle, the boat slows down on it's own instead of when it hits something else. That's a safety feature as far as I'm concerned. I drove a Supra that damn near felt like you threw it in neutral if you let go of it. I have driven some that came close to being able to hold speed. By that, I was able to let go of the throttle for a couple seconds before it started to decellerate and then the decelleration was considerably slower than most. I have been told by numerous people (dealers, mechanics, manfacturers reps) that's the way the Morse controls were designed. Maybe not with older controls but I have a friend with an '83 BFN that doesn't hold speed. I haven't personally driven anything older than that. It's my understanding that there is supposed to be a friction adjustment of some sort that you can adjust for that but I haven't personally messed with one. Maybe someone else has. I'm sure the condition of the cable, the stiffness of the throttle return spring, and the friction of the control unit itself all play a part in that. I could have certainly gotten bad info too. Like that's never happened before.

Anyway, I apologize for anything that sounded demeaning. It wasn't intended like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic