Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some info?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some info?
    Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:19am
im looking into buying a nautique i wake board so this boat will be used for wakeboarding. i have friends with newer nautiques but my budget is much smaller though, and my friends dont have much knwoledge in the earlier years. im looking for an early year nautique. i dont have much back ground with them though so im curious if any one could explain to me the year groups of when they changed the nautiques or what years they stayued the same dating back into the 80's what models there are and the pros and cons of each, best, wake etc..

any info would be great i appreciate it in advance

David Adams View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:55am
Do you have a $$$ amount in mind you can or want to spend? By the way welcome aboard
1974 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 8:53am
If your a wakeboarder on a budget you should be looking for an 82-89 ski nautique. These boats are the "2001" series hull and produce a killer wake when weighted down. The boats older than that are classics with some charms of thier own but make better ski boats imho. But it all comes down to the actual boat and the deal you find... good luck
-Joe.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:24am
The 82-89 is the ideal boat with the 2001 hull...but if your money is short, don't count out the 80 either.

You won't find as many around, but they produce a good wake and are generally a couple K's less than the 2001 hull.

People say the 80's wake is too steep, and it can be...but when weighed properly (bow weight), the wake is great at 22-23 mph. The wake is narrower than the 82-89...but gives enough pop for inverts and W2W 3's...probably more as well, but that's all my current skills can do :)

The 82-89 is about a foot longer and a little wider I think...and that extra space is welcome, you'll find the 80 can get cramped...but all the 80's SN will be tight for space compared to the 50K boats.
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:31am
I happen to have an 89 ski nautique with the "2001" hull that JoeinNY mentioned. He's right its hard to beat 'em. I also have an 87 Martinique. The 86-89 Martiniques have a totally different hull with a deep V shape and the open bow version has lots of room for family and friends (I have a family of 5 so seating is a big issue for us).

Huge wake on the Martinique and its overall design is more similar to newer wakeboard boats. You can pick up an 86-89 Martinique for between 4K –9K. There are a few for sale on this site. Take a look in the diaries section

I'm pretty new at wakeboarding and happyto just stay upright when jumping the wake. So I'm certainly not an authority on the nuances of wake perfection.   One person on this site, however, said this about his 86 Martinique . “This is the best wakeboard boat out there. The wake is way better than any of the new ones!”

The 2001 is a classic and IMHO the better “overall” boat. However, if you want an 80’s correct craft specifically for the purpose of wakeboarding and seating is important you should at least check out the 86-89 Martinique.

Tim
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:13pm
Wow lots of good info i appreciate that. Whats IMHO? i will take a look at those martiniques. as to a budget under 8k.

Now about the trailers when did they go to tandem axle i see some with and with out them

and now what are some things to look for when shopping IE. common problems or wear and tear

i know to stay away from salt water exposed boats? true?

thanks again
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:35pm
Well the saltwater makes it a lot harder to maintain. I run in brackish water most of the time. I run saltaway through my motor, completely wash the boat and trailer every time she comes home. It helps immensely, but eventually salt wins.

Trailers that have been in saltwater are even harder to keep going. Somebody else is going to know the details better than me, but I think CC stopped making trailers at some point (early 90's?). I'm guessing it was other manufacturers that started putting tandems under Nautiques.

IMHO=in my humble opinion

common problems in these older boats (and others) include flooring failures. Water gets in the hull and rots out the stringers. A soft floor is your first indicator. In 93 CC went to total composite materials in the stringers and hull. Before that, you're likely to have floor problems at some point.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place with a bunch of super smart guys (and many more of us that aren't that smart). These are the best boats in the world. I hope you get one!

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:44pm
Thanks"dude" for that info very helpfull, what are the pre 93' floors made of?

Also you guys were telling me 82-89 ski nautique 2001 from 82-89 are the engines the same are there any differences in that 7 year period. if so what are the changes IE, motor, and hull.

Also ive heard poeple talk about direct drive and v- drive?

thanks
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 6:53pm
floors and stringers were wood with fiberglass over them.

Direct drive is when the motor is in the middle of the boat and the prop shaft comes through the tranny going straight back through the hull toward the aft of the boat. V-drive engines are in the back of the boat facing backward. The tranny has a "v gear" that shoots the prop through the hull toward the aft.

The direct drive puts the center of gravity foreward in the boat and flattens out the wake a bit better (at least that's the idea). The v drive is in the stern of the boat and gives more "living" room in the boat as well as providing a better wake for boarding.

check out the diaries section of this forum to look at some of the 82-89 boats. The changes are mostly cosmetic, but again, I'm not an expert on those years...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:49pm
So it sounds like v-drive is the better drive of the two. now the newer SN's are v-drive? and the older SN's are direct? what year did they convert to v-drive?

So they didnt do any motor changes from 82-89 that you know of?

what is the motor that's in the 82-89 sn, is it the ford 351?

thanks for all the info your teaching me alot im trying to as much homework as possible.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:23pm
*I prefer the direct drive. The center mounted engine and direct drive gives better performance because the position of the engine and there is less loss of power in transfer to the prop (more gears, changing direction). Also there are more parts to break. The V-drive will give you more room and more weight in the back end of the boat. The v-drive is probably better for wake boarding.
*I'm not sure the year CC started offering v-drives but you can get direct or v-drive in newer nautiques.
*As far as I know the engine is the same from 82-89, Ford 351W. At some point they started using "throttle body injection" and then fuel injection and eventually switched to the Chevy Vortec I believe. The hull was the same during those years. The dash and graphics changed in 1985 though.
Review the reference section. There are brochures for most years there. Also look at the Diaries section.
I concur, the 2001 Style hull (82-89) with a Skylon and Fatsack make a really good wake boarding boat.
When you spot something you are interested, post the details here and we'll help you out.
You may also want to check out another website:
The 2001 It has a lot of info about the 2001 model and most of the members wakeboard.
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 1:19am
So they didnt offer the v drive in the earlier yeared nautiques such as the 82-89, strictly direct drive?

and i saw you mentioned the throttle body injection and fuel injection, was that an option on the 82-89 SN or carb only?

Im gonna check out those brochures theres a bunch of info on this site ive only had a chance to see a small amount so far. so sorry if im asking question that are answered on the site somewhere.

thanks again
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:32am
fuelies didn't come on line untill around 93 everything before is a carb model unless the engine has been replaced. Most 2001 hulls have the 351w there are a few chevy 350's and 454's as well with the 454 mainly in the barefoot models but not all. also the v-drives are 90's era models too and thier going to get out of your price range most likely. Just starting out your going to be looking at 75-81 hulls or 82-89 hulls which are all the same hull per year grouping. So a 82 is going to have the exact same wake as a 89, the 89 is going to have a few more creature comforts and better trim than a 82 would. Models with the direct drive are the easiest to work on.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:59am
I agree with '79, the TBI EFI motors debuted in '94. Also worth mentioning is the availability of the powerplus transmission on the '89 boats, the last year of the 2001 hull. Correct Craft is still using the same 1.23:1 tranny on all their direct drives.
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 3:20pm
thanks 79' thats what i was wondering.

trbenj- so that trans is only in the 89' and up direct drive, nothing earlier?

Where do you guys get the info that you have about where to purchase SN trans and motors for prices and specs, i saw there are some specs in the brochure area.

thanks alot you guys are really helping me narrow down what i need and what will best suite my budget and needs

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by dskaggs dskaggs wrote:

trbenj- so that trans is only in the 89' and up direct drive, nothing earlier?

Correct. Most (if not all) '89 boats with the 351w should have the 1.23:1 tranny. There are a few base model boats as new as '94 that have the 1:1, but they are relatively rare.
dskaggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskaggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 2:03am
Hey whats the next year group of SN's after the 82-89'?

just curious i may increase my budget are they very similar to the 82-89 just more upgrade to the interior?

are they closed bow?

how is the sport nautique for wakeboarding?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 2:12am
Ski nautique, next group is 90-96, they also
made Skin Nautique open bows (SNOBs) during that period.

It is probably agreed that Sport Nautiques can put up a larger wake than the 91-96 Ski Nautiques. They are a couple hundred pounds heavier to begin with, and have a bit more room in them to add weight. However, many will argue that the Sport Nautique is not better than the 82-89 Ski Nautique as a wakeboard machine. Sport Nautiques by year group were 89-92, and 92-97.

I did not list year groups for later models, because it seems as though they would be out of your budget.

You can look at the reference section of this site and see the sales brochures for nearly every year since 1970. In the end, any of the boats discussed above will be great. Unless you are a world class wakeboarder, your capabilities will not exceed the capability of the boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:06am
do you guys know the diff between sport nautique hulls 92-97 and air nautique hulls later on? I remember someone saying the sport hulls were the same as the early air nautique hulls. ???
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 10:36am
They still are the same.

In 1998, Sport Nautique was upgraded to provide the TSC1 Hull (Ski Nautique had been Upgraded 1 year earlier). That same year, CC introduced Air Nautique. Air Nautique used the Sport Nautique Hull, but added a built in ballast system, some fancy graphics, and introduced the wakeboard tower as an option. Through 2006, Air Nautique, or Air Nautique 216 continue to be based upon the Sport Nautique Hull.

In 1999, CC introduced the Pro Air Nautique. This boat has the same dimensions and interior layout as the Sport Nautique of its corresponding years. However, the boat's running surface was modified, adding strakes, and a step in the hull to provide for a larger wake. The hull was know as TWC or Total Wake Control. Pro Air Nautique (PAN) was discontinued in 2003 as by then V-drives dominated sales amongst those looking for a wakeboard specialty boat. BKH

Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 1:31pm
very good info bk. Thanks.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic