NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new fish-nautique owner here

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new fish-nautique owner here
    Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:48am
I have long lusted for an inboard center console, I am a moderator over at classicmako.com and of course wanted a mako inboard but never found one in good shape for resonable money. I just purchased a 1984 fish
nautique from the east coast. I mostly fish lake michigan offshore. I am looking forwards to participating here and perhaps a partial restore of my new fish nautique. I do boat repair and resto's for part fun and school money for the kids. Thanks for a great forum and website. dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 10:01am
Welcome aboard Dave! Post some pictures of your FN for all of us to admire.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
David Adams View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 10:42am
yes sir welcome to a great website
1974 Mustang
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 7:04pm
Thanks, I will be picking up the cc on the east coast next weekend. Pictures to follow, here is a pic of my current boat.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:00pm
is that the company boat? looking forward to seeing the personel ride.
hotfish172 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 9:41pm
Dave, I have had my Fish Nautique for about 4 years now... Undergoing a full resto. I think I have had to fix just about everything on the boat. This is my second FN. Bought my fist one 23 years ago and had to sell it when I opened my own office. I'd be happy to help you with any info you might need. This site will really be a huge help for you... It has for me.
BTW... I happen to know where a 23 Mako inboard is sitting that's ready to be sold. However, I bet you'll find that the FN is a far superior boat.
MarkNConnie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 5:57am
That is my personal boat, I volunteer for the coast guard aux. That is a 1978 Mako 21 that I restored. dave./
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 8:33am
Welcome to the site Dave! You're going to love it here.

South Haven is one of my favorite places. Beautiful! Can't wait to see your new ride.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 9:16am
Dear Dave, Good luck with your “Fish”. I too had longed for an inboard for about 5 years, just got mine this May. I looked at several 23’ Makos, we have 3 docked at my club, but I do agree, with Mark about the “Fish” vs. the Mako and certainly a better ride than a Slamrock. My “Fish” is a project boat, but we are using it this summer. In fact, I have been using the “Fish” more than the Jersey. Many helpful people on this site, with a ton of knowledge. Welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy your “Fish”.
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 9:43pm
I have a few more pics of the F.N. that the owner sent me. I am going out to the east coast this weekend to pick her up. I usually buy my boats broke in the project stage but this one is suposed to be straight. Thanks again for the great welcome. Hay Hotfish 172 please send me a PM with some info on that Mako inboard I know someone interested. dave.

I hope to get some blood on the decks sunday evening. Does anyone know if the metal Correct Craft emblems are still around or available. Better yet what kind of emblems would my 84 have had original. dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 8:35am
I believe they came with black and chrome emblems for that year. My 79 had metal ones when I bought it and I replaced them with the black and chrome ones from MidWestCC. Someone has made a plastic version for the metal ones here on the site that look pretty decent painted chrome, there is a white and chrome version as well. If it does have the metal ones the mounting holes are a little different, two locations have been move from what I remember when changing mine out. A little trick to making them last longer is gluing them on as well as using the screws. Just using the screws leaves a slight gap and water from the spray gets behind them and ripes them off in pieces over time. I've had mine on for four years and they still look like new, well with the one excepting of the scratch on one. The bottom paint looks like it needs freshened up but over all looks pretty solid. Good luck and give the engine a good look over maybe a quick tune-up before you get too far off shore chasing those stripers.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:19pm
I ordered and recieved a pair of black and chrome plackards from the factory distribution center in Indiana. They came the next day and were very reasonable in price and look great. If this is the kind of service and quality that represents Correct Craft then I am in for a treat. Tomorrow I leave for the pickup. I will definatly give it a good look over before going out too far into lake michigan. Being in the C.G. aux. I would hate to have one of my buddies tow me in. That usually calls for some good ribbing.
I will post more pictures as they are available. dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:49pm
Dave,
If you are seeing this Fish for the first time, it might help to look at the sides of the engine box to see if there is any wood rot starting in the plywood that makes up the sides of the engine area. Fish Nautiques are notorious for getting rot in this area as there was a slight design flaw which allows water to leak down around the engine compartment and saturate the plywood sides. All four sides should be checked for soft wood. Be very careful to check the area in back of the engine (back bulkhead between the engine and fuel tank) where you will find a board which is used to stiffen up the top of the bulkhead. If your boat has been stored outside over the years, you will most likely find some amount of water intrusion there. Mine was so bad that I had to replace all of the plywood on all four sides and re-glass the whole area, including cutting out the port deck and drying out all of the foam under the deck. Sounds like a huge issue but it's really not if you catch it in time. I can say it's been well worth my money and effort. I have been on many inboard center consoles and I can say without any reservation that a Fish Nautique has the best ride of all. Not to mention that there is just something very cool about that broken shearline and big flair in the bow.
MarkNConnie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:05pm
If there is such a thing as a "sexy" center console, then a Fish Nautique is very sexy indeed. Makos, Slamrocks and Irvettes are just boats.
MarkNConnie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:34pm
Thanks for the advice Hotfish 172, say could you send me info on that inboard mako you found for sale. I have a buddy looking for one. thanks. dave. red71gs@yahoo.com
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:44pm
Dave,
The Mako is located in Fort Walton Beach, FL which is about 30 miles from where I live in Gulf Breeze, FL. My Fish is being restored at a yard less than a mile from the Mako so I'll try and get some pics and particulars on it soon. It appears in good condition but like all old boats, it could use paint and lots of TLC. Since the boat has been parked for a long time, I'll hazard a guess that the engine is toast. Better to rebuild an unknown engine and tranny than to be towed in. SEATOW here is very expensive.
Oh, one other thing about your Fish. If those are recent photos, looks like you have a great boat!
MarkNConnie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 7:58am
Hotfish 172 My buddy thats looking for the Mako lives in Destin. We have a Mako fun-familiy tournament there every year. I hauled my Mako down this june for a weeks worth of fun and fishing. Fort Walton beach and the surrounding area is one of my all time favourite play spots. We caught fish that I am still wondering what kind they were Small world. If you can please get the inboard info. My buddy Steve is definatly interested in a project. Oh and those pics were from this past monday afternoon., dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 4:19pm
Dave,
I grew up in Destin (my family goes back for generations) and I worked as a mate on charter boats and private yachts until I graduated from law school. If you want, give your friend my e-mail adress and have him contact me so I can tell him where the Mako is sitting. He'll have no trouble finding it.
e-mail me at Mensa172@aol.com
MarkNConnie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 11:07pm
Well the trip went pretty good on the way home, the only glitch was the hydraulic surge brake coupler leaked like a sieve. Had to fill it about every 100 miles. Also burned a LOT of fuel on the return trip. Got 18mpg on the way out and about 10 on the flip. The boat trailers great. Ran 65 most of the way.   Did a quick shine on the hull after church and went out for a water test this afternoon. Had to clean the Racor filter once and it needs it again. other than that it ran out well. It doesnt idle slow enough to suit me yet, too much prop. Tops out at around 3500 rpms. I believe It should turn at least 4 grand. (ford 351) The prop on it is a agressive 4 blade "speed" prop according to the P.O. Im guessing it was running in the mid to upper 30s on the big end. Got the skunk out of the boat also this evening. Brenda brought in a little salmon.
All in all a great adventure so far. Can any
fish owner recomend a size prop for me. thanks. dave

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/red71gs/correctcraft028.jpg">

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
snapperscrapper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapperscrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 11:54pm
Boat looks great. I also have a 23 fish w/ a 351 PCM I have a 13x13 3 blade prop motor will turn 4500rpm and top out at 38mph.I noticed yours has trim tabs. I have been thinking about getting a pair for mine to off set the fuel tank being mounted at the transom. What are your thoughts
snapperscrapper
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 12:25am
Dave, great pictures and a wonderful place. Glad to see the FN out on Lake Michigan.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic