Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission repair
    Posted: September-19-2006 at 12:52am
Just a quick tec note on the gear noise in the 89-90 transmissions...I was in the dealer today asking of the noise level in my boat and if they knew of any tranmission swap in my boat..they a$$ured me the tranny in my boat was original and the 89 wrighen on it, was the hours on the boat at the time of servicing..made sence...here is the thing they told me about the 89-90 modles...they were produced in Italy and the gear cut was different and C.C. changed unites that were complaned about back in the early 90's...the extra noise I'am experenceing is the windshield design..the rounded windshields are noiser then the older boats..

go figure

the boat still skis like a dream and thats what counts..

happy skiing/boarding
87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 11:10pm
thanks eric

there's no noice in neutral..this week-end I paid closer attention to the rpm that is the loudist and 2200-2800 seems to be the loudist..I'll check the things you suggested and go from there..I think going in the same modle and year would answer all..I my just be use to my 1987...with the exception of the exhaust on that boat was not bad for sound..I'll keep you up to date if anything comes of it.

thanks for your time
cheers
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 9:06am
it sounds more torsional related if the noise gets softer with rpm, what does it sound like in nuetral?   I only replaced the planet, I personally never heard the noise in the boat or on the test stand, and i did not replace the ring, is the engine fine tuned? all the plugs good and wires? these all contribute to torsional noise. remember torsionals are always more predomenent at idle. the closer the power stroke gets the more the torsionals disappear, they are virtually non existant at high rpm
"the things you own will start to own you"
87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 11:18pm
I'am going to look closer at this tranny to see if there any other signs of tampering.. I bought it from my local dealer and there good guys so I do'nt think they would screw me.. if your sitting behind the engine you can'nt talk comfortable with the person beside you.. you have to yell..if your infront of the engine it's bad only till you get up to cruzing speed...then you talk loud.

the 89sn on the tranny has me thinking..this is a 2000 196 sn..

when you changed this plantary for the dealer, did you change the ring gear and planet?..why I ask is maybe there are two cuts..different part numbers? early/late style.

I wish I new of some one that has the same year boat to compare with..

when you say torsionals I a$$ume your talking of the springs in the damper plate?..

this noise reminds me of the th400 transmission that came in some heavyduty trucks..these th400s had straight cut gears..
but you say there all helical cut..so thats that..

this boat only has 165 hours on it. if its the original transmission the plantary must be allright..

guess I'll just turn the stereo up for now..

anyone else think there 6 year old boat is too loud????????

thanks guy/gals if any
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 10:00am
I do remember one for our local dealers here in cleveland and i swapped the planetary and the noise virtually went away and the initial complaint was noise from thier customer. when i tore it appart i found nothing wrong so i went ahead and swapped a newer stlye planetary and never heard back. was it the noise? i dont know.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 9:24am
All of the 1.23 trannies have a fairly loud whine to them- its certainly very different from your old 1:1. You are correct that there was an issue with the early (89-90) units, though I cant recall what the problem was exactly. I do know that the fix was made to my boat before I bought it. My uncle had a '90 that required the same fix.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 9:11am
they are all the same, helical bevel cut. The only spur gears in the trans our on the reverse planetary in which you will get a noisey reverse. how noisey is yours? they were some noisey ones back then and no problems arose, it is possible your damper plate springs are weakoning causing noise. also the other things that will cause noise are: timing, mis-fire, mis-alignment. torsionals will always be a problem because of the direct mechanical connection, unlike a trans in a car with a torque converter you have a hydraulic connection in which the torsionals are eliminated in the oil in the converter. try eliminating all the other possibilities first (mis-fires etc...) these all aggravate and amplify torsionals
87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 11:11pm
Hey Eric
way to hang in there..I like the fact your willing to give the advice,and have time to do so.. infact I have one for you..I just bought a 2000 modal year sn with the 1:23 tranny .. the first thing I noticed with this boat over my 87 2001 with the 1:1 tranny was the noise level (very high) on the new boat..then when I opened the engine lid and saw the transmission had (89sn) writen on it I a$$ummed someone changed the unite...so my question is did bw use straight cut planetary gears on the early 1:23 tranny then switch to angle cut gears one or two years into production...I've herd that c.c had complants with the noise level in the 89-90 production models...

hope you can help??? I don't want to pull my tranny apart to see the cut on the gears.. this boat will be for sale and I'll keep my 87 before I listen to that noice every time I'am out in it...

hey "78" I respect the time and advice you've offerd in the past aswell and maybe some where in all that rant you have a point but you need to get laid man life is too short..

thanks for the entertainment to everyone who has posted in this one WOW
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2006 at 3:12am
Wow!!!!!!! I hardly ever read or post to this section. Eric seems like an ok guy. I think he got the message.I never met 79 in person, but I know he's a good guy.And if I had an engine problem..he could and would help me.I bet Eric would too. But time will tell.
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 10:33pm
Jimbo, you are 110% correct. there alot of guys that come to this site that could'nt even tell you where thier transmission was, believe me, I recieve 1 or 2 calls a day from this site with basic questions, to me and you it may be a dumb question,but to the guy asking it, it really is a legitimate question and he really doesnt know. BUT i also realize that there our guys on this site that do thier own repairs and most of them are the ones that were giving me a hard time and probably felt insulted and with time they started to realize where i was coming from, maybe i came accross with some arrogance. 75% of my business is refferal and alot of it comes from the people who ask the dumb but legitimate questions. and most of the time they are the ones that are taken advantage of monatarily by thier local repair shop it happens everyday to the average NON do it yourself boater. I believe this site was set up for enthusiasts and for people seeking information and if you notice it is a lot of newbies asking questions and seniors replying.
I truly approached this site to offer information and if i sell a tranny i sell a tranny, if i dont i dont.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 5:25pm
Eric seems like a good guy to me. Heck, even 79 has warmed up to him. Just don't see what all the commotion is about. It's a boating site. Suppose to be fun. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 4:12pm
eric, I say put your website link back on your signature line. I don't think it makes much business sense to buy advertising space here. I agree that most of us would rather do the work ourselves and the rest have someone they work with. But keep contributing!
There are people that come to this site that are incapable of diving into a tranny rebuild and don't have a mechanic. And they might live in OH. But even bigger than that...
Most people in business know the best advertising is from refferals!
If the guy across the lake thinks he needs a new transmission and he's not the type to pick up a book and learn and not the sort of guy I'd want to spend two weeks with doing it for him...
...or the guy from OH on the fishing fourm I visit whose 27 footer just lost reverse and is whinning about not being able to fish his tournament in three days...I'd refer them to eric...
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 3:45pm
Guys, if someone wants to give me good advice on how to do something and it is free, I don't care if they put a flashing sign on their post. What is the big deal here? Is this a good ol boys club or a CC boat forum? I like my boat and if you can help me make it go better great.

I'd like all of you to keep up the good work and damm, get along!
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 9:01am
priceless jimbo
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 12:34am
Eric, I've enjoyed your input and appreciate the info you've offered. And you've taken our razzing pretty well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:07pm
look at it as a website for a source of information. it is an avenue or a option if you are having a problem rebuilding your transmission or someone else is rebuilding it and when you put it in it doesnt work.
i never once said how good i was but i did state facts on my abilities regarding transmissions and as for pricing on parts dont even go there. I do alot of business with cc dealers and ccf paying advertisers and feel it would be in conflict. i never once mentioned trans rebuild pricing. and if i did sell trans parts i could save you half. well maybe not you
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 11:28am
Well, most folks see a posting of your web site address as an attempt to sell. Is your attitude always this cocky or are you just having a bad day? I am always amused by people that keep telling me how good they are.

By the way, you have no idea what I am paying for parts and I view your statement that "if you did sell parts it would be half of what I am paying" as an ignorant personal attack on my knowledge, ability, and intelligence. Do you find friends and new acquaintances hard to come by?

It would be smart of you to let this thread die.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 10:38am
we did go over weeks ago clutch plate material.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:59am
i went to my bio, and have 71 posts and in the 71 posts i couldnt find one post to where i am trying to sell anything. if i did sell parts they would be half of what you are paying for them.You stated that you dont care about saving money on parts, please call me next time you need a part i will be more than happy to sell you parts.I built my business on integrity, i sat on the phone this morning for 25 minutes with a correctcraftfan in which his friend rebuilt his trans and he had no nuetral, i did not sell him anything actually it cost me money (no production)   I am guilty of one thing,, giving away trade secrets so you guys are not pulling your trannies 3 times to get it right. I do not believe that there is only do it yourselfers on this site, I myself came to this site in search of a problem i was having and another member from this site called me and helped me figure the problem out. If you dont want me on your team i will understand.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:13am
Eric. My point-of-view is that folks on this site will do one of two things when they have a trans problem: they will either pull the trans themselves or they will tow the boat to their most trusted mechanic.

If they are capable of pulling the trans themselves and they are willing to re-align their own engine when re-installing, they will probably take joy in rebuiding their own trans - for better or worse. (I fall into that group.) If they tow their boat to a mechanic, it would be foolish to tell the mechanic where to send the trans for rebuilding because if you did you would relieve the mechanic of warranty issues.

So, I think everyone here is correct in that most folks here, including me, will enjoy your contributions to the site but if you give the appearance you are here to try to sell you will turn everyone off. I don't presume to know your business better than you do but I suspect your market is the marine maintenace industry. Folks from the marine maintenace industry do post on this site (Woody for exanmple) but they make no obvious attempts to garner business - that attitude is very much appreciated and the folks here respond well to it.

Now me, I like to have a good source for howto tips and a reliable source for parts. (And I usually try to buy my parts from someone I feel is technically savy and knows the product.)

I appreciate that you may be able to "save people money" but no one belives that and besides, we have already blown loads on the boats to begin with and now we're paying $40.00 to $60.00 just to fill the tanks (and I can burn 3 tanks in one day). If people here were really interested in saving money they'd sell their boats.

Actually, I think 79 was trying to help you by hitting your head with a 2x4. Keep any eye on him though, if you reach out for that olive branch he might chop your arm off with the axe he is holding in his other hand.     

(Added note to Eric: If you just stop trying to sell you may start selling. But I doubt it.)

Oh yeh, I have found your discussion on various materials for clutch plates and various thickness of lock rings and shims very interesting and enlightening. Could you elaborate? What are our choices when it comes to clutch plate materials. Where does one buy clutch parts for "heavy duty" applications?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 8:52am
i really don't understand what you are trying to say, especially the part about my market. please explain
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:36am
Eric, I have a rebuild in the future for my trans so I went yo your web site. I could find no prices for parts and no "howto" sections. Not much there for the "do-it-yourselfer".

I think I see why you are reluctant to buy an ad that leads to your site - it won't lead to any sales. I think your market is different then the one you will find on this site.

Hang around though, I am going to need some advice. (Thank goodness it's free or I wouldn't buy any.)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 4:03pm
can't say i dont blame you about the albania thing, I have a couple buddies from Estonia, (same region) thier tool box contains: bailing wire, duct tape, bubble gum (just in case the duct tape wont stick) and 45 different hammers.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 8:26pm
Hi Eric

Glad you straightened out that Albania thing.

I don't think I'd want to deal with an Albanian outfit. Seems like shipping costs would be kinda high

Hell, I don't even know where Albania is! I'd rather deal with a shop in Medina, Ohio.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 8:21pm
By the way guys, I'm not from Albania, I am from Aurora, Ohio, must of hit the wrong key. I'm more than happy to offer some insight and also sbsorb some insight from you guys
Eric
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:18pm
notice I never say THE dude just dude as in spacolli, fast times at ridgemont high.

Eric thanks again for responding on the other post... we do appreciate it and hope you continue to offer you insite and vast wealth on knowledge.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:10pm
I agree with Darrel, except for the Hollywood signaturepart. Also, I hope in the post above where 79 used all the colorful words in a row wasn't adressed to The Dude.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 2:29pm
79 extends the olive branch, priceless. I have new respect for the man. Hollywood may have to change his signiture line.    
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:45am
Glad you still miss the point everyone has said.

Free advice is welcomed.......you even said that you offer it freely.

There are four or five other threads regarding transmission questions and you have not offered any input. No one as questioned your abilities or knowledge of transmissions only your approach and it coming across as a sales pitch to us. It would be nice if you responded to the other questions but for what ever reason you don't. There are two other forum headers that questions get asked you seem to focus on this one thread and ignore the other questions under this heading one which was posted minutes before you responded to my comments.

So let me see if I have this right....your approach is advice to save us guys money and your in the transmission business not gouging business...... HHMMMMMM

It would be nice if you acted more as a memeber then a sales person and contributed with your free advice and knwoledge instead of telling us how much you can save us money if you do the work. What about gotaski's question about adding an extrenal tranny filter, what about the 71c tranny that they asked you about what about all of the other transmission questions that other members have asked we've been waiting to hear from your wealth of knowledge and skill.

If you act like a member and participate in the descussions then we would lighten up on you but All I see is you know everything about transmissions and we're all a bunch of dumb ass and don't know sh*t. So if and when you want to give your free advice here some might just send you some work to show case your skills and be refered to as a go to guy. But untill you do know one is going to be on your side and eventually we will get all over Keith and request your login in be removed and IP address blocked.

We really would like your insight and knowledge honestly.. we would, I mean that very sincearly and have been waiting for it. But .... I'm pretty sure I've cover that part already....

So please lets all start over and move forward with the great wealth of knowledge that you can provide us and that we are eagerly awaiting to absorb and use and eventually you'll have are respect and business some may just want to buy quality parts from you others will ship the transmissions to you but your going to have to act like a CORRECT CRAFT FAN and not a salesman ok. please let this all be water under the bridge and respond to the other questions posted where you could really help these guys out. Thanks in advance for responding to the other members questions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:13am
my approach is advice to save you guys money,I am in the trans business not the gouging business, no matter what happens here i will survive, and you better seek some anger management cause you are way out of hand and have a hard time understanding why i am on this site, anyone looking at this please dont send your transmission to my shop are work sucks and we are very expensive and all i want is your money, please send it to your local cc dealer thay will be glad to treat you well. but if you need any technical advice on a transmission call me at home 330-995-4037 call collect
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic