Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer brakes
    Posted: August-15-2006 at 6:20pm
The trailer that came with my boat is outfitted with surge brakes. However, it came with a box of drum brake parts and as far as I know, the brakes haven't been operational in years.

The brake fluid reservoir is empty. I'm guessing everything needs to be replaced to get it working properly.

I tried to remove the brake hub to see what's inside, but have no idea how to get that off. Apparently, it's different than a car - it's got bearing buddy's on it.

Can someone tell me how to get those drums off?

I'll also take any advice on this potential project. FYI - the trailer is a 1992 Shoreline, single axle.
Thanks!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 7:31pm
the bearing buddys are just pressed on like the dust caps would be just a little harder to get off.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 8:52am
uhmmm...use a hammer (sorry 79Nautique) and gently tap around the circumference of the bearing buddy. Keep tapping, and the bearing buddy will sort of walk off the hub.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:05am
After I get the buddy bearing off, will the hub just slide off or is there a retaining nut of some sort?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:26am
I would use a rubber mallet, but just don't get happy with the hammer.

Once that is off then it's going to be like the old front end of a car where the races are pressed into the rotor's.

Remove the cotter pin, castle nut and washer then slide off the hub, pop out the front bearing first or be ready to catch it as your removing the hub. If the grease looks fairly thick and isn't dark and runny then check the bearings by rotating them in the races and feel for roughness if everything rotates smoothly then but it back together pump some new grease into it through the bearing buddy and get to the lake.

I'm assuming you know how to adjust the castle nut. If not rotate the hub as your tightening the castle nut don't torque the nut down. No preload is required, if you do you'll be sitting on the side of the road in a coulpe of hours. Just snug the nut up against the bearing as your rotating the hub, then try and slide a new cotter pin through one of the slots, back the nut off a little if needed to align the slot in the nut with the hole in the spindle. Before you put things back together look at the oreintation of the hole in the spindle and make sure the cotter pin isn't undersized either it should slide through freely with out a lot of play. Once you have it back together try and move the hub side to side up and down there shouldn't be any play if there is then the nut is too loose. Do this before you install the bearing buddy.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:36am
Here are the steps you should take:
1. Remove bearing buddy (see above).
2. Remove cotter pin from spindle/castle nut.
3. Remove castle nut and washer.
4. Pull off drum/hub assembly.
5. Clean roller bearings, washer, nut, spindle, hub. Inspect roller bearings for pitting, discoloration and scaling. Replace if any signs of either are present.
6. If bearings are bad, pull seal and drive out bearing races with drift punch. Work around perimeter of race and go slow.
7. Purchase trailer seal (NOT AUTOMOTIVE SEAL). Trailer seals have double lip to prevent water from entering bearings. Purchase same size bearings and races (auto bearings ok).
8. Install races. Ensure fully seated in hub.
9. Pack inner roller bearing with grease and install in race.
10. Fill back side of seal cavity with grease to prevent spring from falling out. Install seal. Use a block of wood to protect seal while carefully hammering in the seal.
11. Install hub on spindle. Mostly fill cavity with grease. Pack outer bearing with grease and install bearing on spindle.
12. Install washer on spindle.
13. Install castle nut on spindle and hand tighten. Spin hub/drum assembly several times. Hand tighten castle nut. Tighten castle nut just a bit with wrench to ensure bearings are seated fully (while spinning hub/drum). Back off castle nut. Hand tighten castle nut. Use wrench to find next slot for cotter pin. Install cotter pin.
14. Install bearing buddy by tapping around outer edge with hammer.
15. Using grease gun, fill bearing cavity until the bearing buddy piston just begins to float off its seat. DO NOT OVERFILL WITH GREASE, or you risk blowing out seal. Pull the trailer a few miles and ensure bearing buddy piston is still floating just off seat. If not, add a bit more grease.

Done.

<edit> Almost forgot, I use a large socket to hammer in races. Avoid using the drift punch or you risk damaging the race. If you do not have a large socket, use the largest one you have and go around the perimeter.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:40am
I type too slow.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:58am
Installing races, you can also turn the old race around and put the outer edge of the old race on the outer edge of the new race. Then just tap around the perimeter of the old race with a hammer/mallet untill the new race bottoms out in hub. Grab the old race with channel locks or similar and pull the old race out.

Fini! Works great and I've never had any trouble removing the old race with this approach.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:18am
Chilli was limited on time that's the only reason for not cleaning and repacking provided that the grease is still fairly new and the bearings where in good working order. You don't need to clean them to figure out if there bad or not it is all done by feel if their pitted or scaled they will not rotate smoothly and the grease isn't going to mask any of that.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:25am
Agree. Just giving the full proceedure in case he found something wrong.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:34am
Almost forgot. Back to the original reason for the post: IMHO, the easiest way to get the brakes working is to purchase an entire brake assembly, with back plate, ready to just bolt onto the spindle plate. I also suggest the "free backing" type.

Since you mentioned the master cylinder was dry of brake fluid, I almost quarantee the master cylinder is a block of internal rust and will need to be replaced as well. The brake lines should be flushed with alcohol.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:53am
This sounds like it's gonna be fun.

Thanks for all the input.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:02am
just don't worry about the brake issue right now tend to that in the off season. There's really not a lot of weight to these boats and the trailer brakes are nice but not truely needed.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

just don't worry about the brake issue right now tend to that in the off season. There's really not a lot of weight to these boats and the trailer brakes are nice but not truely needed.

I drive a Dodge RAM 1500 extended cab with a 4" lift and large wheels/tires. It doesn't stop very quickly by itself. When I add the boat, it takes a very long distance to stop, especially at highway speeds. If someone or something were to pull out in front of me, there's no way I could get stopped. I've had the brakes rebuilt on the truck and switched to higher performance pads, but it's no better.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 5:03pm
I learned the hardway with trailer brakes and too much grease. I managed to blow the seal out the back and it spewed grease all over my brake drum... well, new brake drums and seals after that.... sucked. nothing like dumping $500 in your trailer.. but good as new now!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 5:22pm
your main issue is the over sized wheels on the truck and not replacing the calibers and rotors with larger ones to compensate for the wheel mass. Same issue the guys that install the 22" and 24" rims and do nothing to the brakes to stop the rolling mass from the larger diameter wheels. I don't have and issue with my colorado pulling or stoping the boat.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by tommer12 tommer12 wrote:

I learned the hardway with trailer brakes and too much grease. I managed to blow the seal out the back and it spewed grease all over my brake drum... well, new brake drums and seals after that.... sucked. nothing like dumping $500 in your trailer.. but good as new now!

Yeah, I learned that lesson too with my last boat trailer. Spent several hundred getting that fixed as well. The mechanic even took pictures and hung them up in the store to show others what NOT to do.
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:36pm

your main issue is the over sized wheels on the truck and not replacing the calibers and rotors with larger ones to compensate for the wheel mass. Same issue the guys that install the 22" and 24" rims and do nothing to the brakes to stop the rolling mass from the larger diameter wheels. I don't have and issue with my colorado pulling or stoping the boat.

I agree with on that one. The other problem I have is that my wheels are 15", so I can't go to a larger size rotor. I just got back into to the boat business, but my last setup from about 10 yrs ago was a 2001 model SN and I pulled with a Toyota 4x4 extended cab. I had no problems stopping that even after screwing up the surge brakes as noted in the previous post. Maybe this is a good excuse to buy new wheels and tires!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:07pm
you don't need larger rotors or brake calipers for your set up chill I was referening to the guys that have replaced there tires with extremely large tires and/or rims increasing the wheel mass significantly.

Don't understand why they replaced the drums all you have to do is clean them up in the parts cleaner and there fine worse comes to worse turn them down another .010" now the pads have to be replaced there no salvaging them but there is no reason to replace the drums/hub assembly.

So how is your progress on the bearings coming alone?
gary93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:45am
One more thing. On my 93 the brake lines rusted and leaked. CC put steel lines inside the tube trailer with no paint on them if your in salt water they won't last. You can get stainless but the flaring is hard it will last....
Chill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 5:30pm

So how is your progress on the bearings coming alone?

I haven't started anything yet. I'm just trying to gather info on how big/hard this will be. Now I'm starting to look for where I should get parts. I want to make sure I have all the right stuff and information so when I start, I can get it done in a smooth fashion.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 6:18pm
Most likely you are going to have to pull one side get the numbers off one then head to NAPA to get the parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic