Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keith’s teak swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keith’s teak swim platform
    Posted: August-15-2006 at 6:48pm
Anybody see the pix of Keith's 2001 in the "For Sale" section. VERY NICE boat all around. Maybe he can share with us his secret on how to make a 20 year old swim platform look brand new?! Awesome....
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:30am
Yeah- what's your secret Keith?

I clean and oil my teak once a year (in the spring)- it looks great for the first month of the season, but starts to grey out. By the end of the season, it looks pretty ratty. My cover does not extend over the platform, so I attribute the summer fade to sun exposure.
I use a 2 step cleaner, then an oil.
mark914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 9:49am
I use this stuff... teakguard. It literally lasts for years.

Mark

http://www.myboatstore.com/teakguard.htm?gclid=COy58uiu6YYCFQ-PJAod7EX_AA
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 11:31am
the real key is...preparing it for the oil! Clean it relly well with teak cleaner and scrub brush...use the cleaner at 100% with no water and scub with the grain and rinse...and do it a second time!Getting all the old discolored oil gone is what will give it back the look you want!
Also...some sanding my be in order. once it's really clean and you have oiled it...it will clean easy each year!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:33pm
Stang,
Do you sand it after you use the cleaner or before? What grit sandpaper did you use?
Kurt
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:38pm
220 or higher...sometimes I just rub it down with steel wool...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 7:30am
If the steel wool gets stuck in the seams or grain of the wood, it will rust. If sanding is necessary, do that first. Then use a good teak cleaner and a bra$$ brush. Allow the platform to dry thoroughly before applying oil.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 4:53pm
I think it's only going to look like that if it was worked over on a continual basis since new.. I've not seen one that nice from someone taking an old worn out, grey deck and cleaning it. That is unless they took off some heavy layers with a belt sander... Just my 2cents..

Moj'
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 5:26pm
Moj,

I've had good luck bringing back some pretty bad platforms. I use a two part chemical (Acid/Base). The first chemical peels away the dingy coat, and bleaches. The second neutralizes the first. I recently did my neighbor's 85 Mastercraft which had been neglected for over 10 years, and it looks great. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 11:32am
Brian,
I was dissapointed with the two part chemical system I used this past summer on the Tique. It was real bad though.. Maybe I didn't do it right, and I even sanded.. No that the Tique has been sold, I'm going to be in the process of refurbing the one on the even older Nautique I bought.. That one has poly on it, so I know I'll need to sand all that off !!!..

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 1:12pm

Dave,
I think I would try to use a stripper first, to get most of the poly off. My experience has been the less sanding the better. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 6:07pm
I used stripper to get poly off of mine, then steel wool to pull the stripper and poly off. Because it took away the old, loose grains, I did not have to sand. Then used a two-part cleaner and it looked great. The oil I used seemed to fade quickly when it was warm out, though.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 12:15am
stripper is best to start with for poly.
I lol everytime I see poster's signature.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 9:56am
What stripper did you guys use that seemed to work the best?? I've got years of build up on this platform is seems !! And it's a long winter, so I can work this thing over a loooong time LOL..
Moj'
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 10:41am
When I got mine it looked real bad...

I used 60grit no-clog sandpaper on a finishing sander, then scrubbed it with a solution of laundry detergent and TSP (trisodium phosphate) and enough water to make a paste then rinsed, let it dry, smoothed it out with a copper "Chor Boy" scrubber, then applied teak oil until it would take no more.

It looks brand new! I really didn't think it was ever going to look this good...

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 10:44am
Mojo,
Bix stripper will get rid of any varnish or poly. (It needs to soak about 10-15 minutes) If you have a build-up of previous stains a deck stripper could work--something like "Wolman's Deck Strip" is very effective. Wet the surface first, apply the product with a brush, then wash away. You could use a power washer (and may have to), but with teak be careful, don't get too close, or spray against the grain.
Wear gloves and long sleeves with strippers.
On the balance I don't know if this would be easier than sanding. On a large surface, like a deck, you definitely don't want to sand.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 6:35pm

When I bought my boat the swim platform was in really bad condition. I first sanded it in sequence using 80, 120, then 220 grit. Then, I just cleaned it with soap and water. I let it dry. Then, I use WATCO TEAK OIL. That's all. It has a few coats on it now. Completely seals it and looks awesome in the water. If it gets scratched or nicked I just sand, clean, and reapply the WATCO. Stuff works great. Now if i could do something about the cracks in the gel.
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 11:27am
I'll be taking my platform off my 88 SN this winter so I can work on it and so I can fit my boat in my shop to work on it too. What do I need to know about reinstalling? Do I have lag bolts & screws holding it on or do I have bolts going through to the inside? If I have lag bolts, what do they screw into? Do I have to seal the holes when I install it? If so, what's the best way? Will I have any possible problem areas to look out for?

Thanks
Kurt
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 5:14pm
You can drill all the way through and install stainless steel bolts from the outside, even laminate some large washers onto the inside if you so desire. Mine is not bolted through to the inside. In my humble opinion, the MOST important thing is that no matter how you reattach the platform you keep water from getting into the holes for the hardware. Most CCF's hate silicone or silicone products. There are a number of good marine sealants on the market. Just make sure that you apply it to your bolts (or screws) in such a manner that no water can get inside the holes.
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 1:43pm
If mine are lag bolted in, what is the material the hole is drilled into? Wood? Fibergla$$?
Do you just fill the hole with a good 3M sealer, replace the bolts & screws and clean off the excess sealant?
I may eventually replace with bolts and nuts but I believe the fuel tank must come out first. A project for next winter.
Kurt
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 5:14pm
The transom is wood. You are going through gel, gla$$, and into wood. So long as the wood stays dry the lag bolts will be sufficient. Keep it dry by filling the hole and surrounding the bolt with sealant before intalling the lag bolt.

If the problem is that your lag bolts are already loose then the wood is soaked. You could use the technique described by the Boat Dr drilling holes in the damaged area then filling with epoxy resin. Once it is repaired, you can use the lag bolts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 12:38am
I took my platform off to refinish it. I thought I would try to post some before and after pictures.
Here is the before pics. Notice the remnants of varnish on the bottom of the deck:

I used deck cleaner and sanded the platform. I sanded the top by hand except for the beveled spaces between the blocks. It still had varnish there so I used a Dremmel with a sanding disk to remove it. On the bottom side I used my polisher/sander to remove the old varnish, then finished by hand.
Here is the deck before I oiled it:

Here is the first coat going on. I just used McCloskey's Teak Oil because that's what they had at Orchard Supply.

Here is the second coat going on. Notice how much the first coat soaked in? It was about a week between coats just because I was too busy to work on it. I know... no excuses.

On the bottom corner of this picture looks like sanding gouges on the picture but are in fact a fairly knotty piece of teak. It just adds to the character of the deck.
I still have about 4 or 5 more coats to put on. I should tell you, I'm no woodworker but this went pretty fast and you can see the progress as you go. I will post the finished product when I'm done.
Thanks all for your help on this.
Kurt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 12:44am
Oh,by the way, because I got this Photobucket thing down, I might as well show you my boat.

Kurt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 12:55am
Hey Kurt, looks nice. Where do you use that boat? McClure? Don Pedro? Tulloch? New Melones? BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 12:56am
NIce; What do ya do for the phone company? I retired from SBC (old Ohio Bell) 3 years ago after 33.5 years. All outside. Had a great time working the whole way. Hope you do as well.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 1:12am
I've only had it out 3 times in Melones. I just got it in September. I have all the seats out and ready to rip out my old carpet and replace.
Where are you from that you know all my lakes?
I am closest to Melones, about 10 minutes to the launch ramp at Tuttletown.
Here is a picture of New Melones and my house:

I can walk to the lake in 10 minutes but there is a locked gate and no ramp so I have to go to hwy 49 to Tuttletown to launch
Kurt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 1:20am
I am a Comm Tech in Sonora Ca. but I mainly do power. That is mainaining the power plants for 18 central offices in my area. That is maintaining the batterys, diesel standby generators, ringing plants, converters,inverters etc.
I was an installer/repairman for 22 years before transfering into the central office. A good move beings my knees were getting kind of screwed up from 22 years of climbing.
I now have 27 years with Pacific Telephone, Pacific Bell, SBC and now AT&T.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 1:25am
88, I live on the Delta in Discovery Bay, but have spent most of my life boating here in Norcal. Oddly, Melones is the only significant Norcal Lake I've never been on (driven by it, but never been out there). We like to get away from the Delta. Here, we're out in the boat for an hour, and then back to real life. When we go away for the weekend, we spend a lot of time on the boat. Usually make 3 or 4 trips to McLure each summer, and we're looking to go to other lakes just to get away. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 1:44am
bk,
I worked in Stockton for about 4 years. Worked a lot in the islands. I always envied people that lived on the shore with a perminant dock. Just take off whenever you want. I always thought it would be nice to live on a houseboat but I don't think I could talk my wife into it. Plus the upkeep would probibly be worse than my 88.
Kurt
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 3:58pm
I am in the process of reworking my swim platform off of my 86 Nautique 2001 and on some of the parts there are really little nails that look as if someone used that as a solution for the pieces becoming slightly loose? Does anyone else have these? I know that the main way of them staying in is with the screws on the bottom, which i need to replace, but I was wondering if these nails are necessary or just there to scratch up the bottom of my wakeboard/ski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic