NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keith’s teak swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:48am
Moj, Bix should be a methylene cloride based stripper. There isn't really anything stronger but some of the modern finishes can be a real problem. Put it on as thick as you can without it dripping off and don't overbrush it. The stripper has parafin wax in it that floats to the surface and seals in the methylene cloride keeping it from evaporating. If you overbrush, the solvent will be gone and you will be left with nothing but the wax. Let the stripper do the work but don't let it dry ether. It may take several applications to get down to the wood. Last, don't put a hard finish back on it. Stay with the non organic teak oils.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:49am
Tim,
I think there is just so much damn plastic allied, I'm going to have to do the same and take it apart and just keep working at it..Then I'll take it down a bit with some 320 grit... It's a pain, but it'll be worth it..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 2:44pm
So I finally got my teak finished and remounted using my new brackets.

I followed examples from various forums and threads. I should have cleaned the teak better after my sanding was done and I should have used a brass brush before applying the oil. That being said, it is such an improvement. In addition, attaching the brackets was easy, however, one of the transom pieces does not line up perfectly so it is best to have two people remove and attach the teak. With all the 5200 I used, I really don't feel like realigning it. Perhaps at the end of the season.

I used a Savogran varnish remover and a Savogran TSP cleaner. I sanded using 80, 120, 150, and 220? I then applied numerous coats of Starbrite Teak oil. (white bottle) Only half of a coat in the basement before I moved operations out to the garage.   

Feel free to point out any errors or suggestions to help others. It looks great now that it has had a few days in the water and sunshine.

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 10:53am
Wow...that turned out really well. I just refinished my platform as well. I used a varnish remover, then sanded with 80,120, and 220. Cleaned and scrubed, then 2 coats of Watco Teak Oil, and it shines like new. 3 trips to the lake, and it still looks great. A big thanks for all the suggestions on this post.

One ? though. I ended up with a couple of small air bubbles from the teak oil. Should I just lightly sand those off and re-oil those spots?

Rob
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 4:19pm
Rob,
What kind of bubbles are you speaking of?? There shouldn't be any bubbles that would cause resanding??? The oil on mine soaked right in smooth as a babies %^&....

Oh, and thanks everyone as well for the suggestions etc. After 6 hours of stiping and sanding, my one black platform is absolutely gorgeous as it should be.. I doubted the possibilities, but you all were right....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:45am
I'm reviving this old post because I forgot to post a pic of my completed platform mounted on my boat.

Here's one with my 3 yr old grandson:

Also wanted to show off my polish job. Had to wet sand some because some of it was like a chalkboard:

Also some of the white pinstripe shadowing of my decal were pealing up and coming off. I bought some 3M 1/4" pinstripe tape and replaced the bad stuff. I know someday I'll have to replace the decals but I'm not ready to do that yet. On this pic you can see the reflection of my feet in the picture. Before I did the wetsanding, compound & polish, if you scraped your fingernails on it it was like a chalkboard. Now it's as smooth as a baby's ass.

Forgive the long post. I'm just showing off.

Kurt
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 2:20pm
No forgiveness needed...show it off when it looks that nice! The Grandson seems to approve too!
Very nice job!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I am in the process of reworking my swim platform off of my 86 Nautique 2001 and on some of the parts there are really little nails that look as if someone used that as a solution for the pieces becoming slightly loose? Does anyone else have these? I know that the main way of them staying in is with the screws on the bottom, which i need to replace, but I was wondering if these nails are necessary or just there to scratch up the bottom of my wakeboard/ski

If you see the tips of the screws that means you sanded it down. Don't sand it down it the answer.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:31pm
Tim, was that your SN behind the Flightcraft? Drove around for 45 minutes yesterday, didn't see any skiing.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 8:11pm
I also used the TeakGuard from my boat store and the deck looks as good as it did when I used it last winter. The folks a myboatstore seem pretty sharp too. I called them to find out when they shipped the stuff and they said they don't ship the teakguard if they think it might end up in a warehouse and freeze in the winter, they'll wait until a Monday so it stays on the move.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 2:31am
Kurt: looks real good. Did you just wet sand the white parts? If so how did you get the blue lookin' so good.

Hows the CO biz going out there?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 8:18am
jbear,

I used 1500 on the blue. I tried to do it with just compound but I was wearing down the decals with the buff pad so I carefully sanded around the decals then buffed. Kind of a pain sanding around the decals. I had to get more agressive on the white below the blue. Thats where most of the chalking was.

We lost 3 people on our crew in the past month. 2 of them had like 40 years. They gave them an insentive to leave. A years pay on top of their buyout. The 3rd one just had over 30 years. He didn't get the extra pay because they only offered it to two of the most senior people on our crew. We will be loosing one more in September. There will only be 5 of us left to handle 18 offices. They will have to replace some of them but I hear they won't do it for a while. They keep pulling me off of my power job to help out with the load now that we're so light handed, and one of the retired tech's shift was 4:00 to midnight so now we're getting called out to cover the repairs for her shift. Not complaining though. Soon they will add more to our crew and I'll have even more seniority.
Kurt
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:11am
John, I saw the way your platform looked on your pass thru.... Looks like you need to ask a few questions about restoring a platform.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 1:23am
Tim: platform is bad...thats what happenes I quess when you park outside in the florida sun. Hate it...my plats always used to look good. But it looks fine when it is wet in the water. Hi to Kim for us...got anymore blueberries?!

Kurt: Sounds about like what I got 4 years ago. I did get about 15 months pay up front tho. My partner was next on the list but I was the last guy to get the extra. He stayed...3 more years..finally gave up and left without any extra. Just couldn't take it anymore. Sounds like you are close to bein' over worked...5 guys 18 (!) offices plus all the driving in between. Good luck. Plus frame work and call-outs.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 8:57am
Yeah John. Still gotta few left on the the bushes. I've eaten so many blue berries lately my poop is blue!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

Oh,by the way, because I got this Photobucket thing down, I might as well show you my boat.

Kurt

Hey Kurt is your trailer made by DHL out of Sacramento? I have the same exact trailer; same color, chrome wheels, everything.    The only thing I don't have is the turnbuckle. How easy is it get on and off? Where did you get it? I also have the same 88 Ski Nautique, same colors only a different color pinstripe. The original owner was from Sacramento. Your boat looks good, good job on the swim step and buffing it out.

George
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 6:30pm
George,
Yea it's a DHL. The turnbuckle I bought at a local hardware store. I don't trust it to hold my boat because it's aluminum. That’s why I also have the chain on there.
Do your brakes work? I have to redo my brakes one of these days. Opened up the master cylinder and it was full of brake fluid and water. I think the PO used to drench the whole trailer when they'd launch.
Kurt
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 6:47pm
So Kurt, when are you going to drag that boat down here to the delta. I'm sure we could get Todicus and some others to join. I normally get up to Lake McClure once or twice per summer, but it just hasn't happened this year, particularly since we made the haul back to Green Lake. I'd love to meet you and to see that boat in person. BKH
Livin' the Dream

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 7:04pm
kurt,
i have a 86 with the same color scheme. I have some small scratches in the blue gel that i was going to wet sand but have been afraid to do it. was it easy for you? and did you just use 1500 grit?

thanks
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

George,
Yea it's a DHL. The turnbuckle I bought at a local hardware store. I don't trust it to hold my boat because it's aluminum. That’s why I also have the chain on there.
Do your brakes work? I have to redo my brakes one of these days. Opened up the master cylinder and it was full of brake fluid and water. I think the PO used to drench the whole trailer when they'd launch.
Kurt

Funny you should ask on the brakes, the PO cut the brake line. I was going to reconnect and fix but heard that without a lockout valve it was hard to back up. It already grinds on the apron(sidewalk) from the street to my driveway because the trailer sits so low. One of these days I'll get a coupler with a lockout.
George
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

kurt,
i have a 86 with the same color scheme. I have some small scratches in the blue gel that i was going to wet sand but have been afraid to do it. was it easy for you? and did you just use 1500 grit?

thanks

Shawn,
If it's a deep scratch through the gelcoat sanding wont help. If it's a surface scratch wet sanding will eliminate the scratch. I had some pretty big surface scratches that you can't even see now. Start with 1500 to see if that will do it. I just did a little at a time. It seems overwhelming at first but as you get going it goes pretty fast. You'll need a buffer/polisher to compound and polish. I just got a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Don't be afraid to do it. The gel coat is pretty thick but just take off as much material as you need to take the scratches out.

Brian, I'd like to come to the delta someday. I don't know if it'll be this summer though. Are you by Stockton or are you further towards the coast. Aren't you around Antioch or something?
Kurt
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 1:08am
thanks 88.

what compound and polish did you use?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 2:13am
Kurt, 17 miles from Stockton in Discovery Bay.
I think there's only about 100 miles between us. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by wakemeup wakemeup wrote:

Hey Kurt is your trailer made by DHL out of Sacramento? I have the same exact trailer; same color, chrome wheels, everything.    The only thing I don't have is the turnbuckle. How easy is it get on and off? Where did you get it? I also have the same 88 Ski Nautique, same colors only a different color pinstripe. The original owner was from Sacramento. Your boat looks good, good job on the swim step and buffing it out.

George

George,
I'm not happy at all with their bow stop setup. It's too hard of a surface for stopping while power loading. Damages the gelcoat on the bow. Plus it's in the way for placing a winch if you wanted too. The rub rail bow stops are a much better deal. I may cut it off one day and replace it and add a winch. Is your gel coat damaged there too?
Do you know where your boat was purchased? I don't know about mine but I could probibly find out. Maybe they were in the showroom together in 88.
Kurt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

thanks 88.

what compound and polish did you use?

I used 3M compound. If you use 1500 paper, check the label and get the one designed to remove 1500 grit scratches. I'll check the label on mine when I get home and let you know the name of it. You may have to use a more aggressive grit depending on how bad your gel coat is. If you do, follow it up with the next step finer grit until you get to 1500. On my chalking below the blue gel coat I went down to 800. Or you can try a more aggressive compound instead of sanding. Others on this site have had good luck with 3M super duty compound. I believe they followed up with 3M Finess It then 3M polishing compound. Maybe they will chime in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic