NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ACME vs. OJ 4 blade

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACME vs. OJ 4 blade
    Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:18am
As most of you know, my new OJ, 13X13, four blade prop is toast. I can either get another OJ, 13X13, four blade or have them install an ACME prop.

For the short time I had the OJ, I enjoyed the power and smoothness. I've seen so many of you guys post topics on the AMCE 540 and 542. This makes me believe I should switch to ACME. I don't want to lose the power I had with the 4 blade. How does ACME line up against OJ, 4 blades? I ski, board and barefoot. I'm more of a power person versus speed. What prop should I go with?

Thanks,

Ken
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:28am
I found on my supreme the Acme 209 13x 12.5 4 - blade had a very narrow thrust-wash, which resulted in the highest rooster-tail of any prop I ever tried. It also needed so much revs I needed the secondaries to maintain rpms at 36 mph slalom, resulting in inprecise control, but otherwise it had some nice power-delivery characteristics, like very little slip.

I suspect it would do something similar on a 2001.

You can count on a 4 blade eats 2-3 mph on its equivelent 3- plade.

The OJ 4-force had the widest thrust of the bunch I tried and was effective at smoothing the the wake, by distributing the thrustwash over a wide area. It also lets the revs come up to 3000 rpm from a stop, resulting in a slingshot of a holeshot, like a high-stall converter on a car.

A modern federal 3-blade had the best 26-32 mph wake, though.

Ymmv
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:39am
I've got an OJ 13x13 4-Blade on my '79 and the factory Acme 12.5x15.5 on my '02 Ski 196. I have been very happy with the performance of both.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:51am
Ken,

Hope this helps...a little story!

I took my new in box 540 up to Green Lake and intended to use it for the first time there...however, the old prop was on real tight and we could not get it off. So I offered it to my buddy(my nieghbor Brian who traveled up )to give it a try on his SN. He said he was totally satisfied with the 4 blade OJ and had no need to switch...he thought the three blade would not be smooth. Shortly after , we encounter Alan , who had a couple Acme's for anyone to try. He had the 540 on his boat and said it was really impressive...

7:00 the next morning , I hear a knock on the door...I opened it and found Brian there ready to roll! He said "give me that prop!"

That prop stayed on his boat....and he got me another!

Brian is a really knows his stuff and is VERY picky about props! He noticed better excelleration in all rpm bands...and said it was super smooth!I think his first words after he tried it went something like this...."you won't believe this thing"

So...there is one comparission....from the friend of the horses mouth!

BTW...I like mine too! One additional thing I noticed that others have not mentioned is...the prop is super responsive in hard turns...really bites!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:57am
Ken, obviously I have a different hull, and Im running higher pitched props with the 1.23 tranny, but Ill chime in anyways.

The first thing I replaced on my boat (after my ignition that quit) was the prop- I went from a 4-blade OJ (13x16) to a 3-blade Acme (12.5x15). It was like a whole different boat- I picked up 200 RPM on the top end (4600 vs 4400), partially due to the decrease in pitch. I also picked up 1 MPH top end (43 vs 42 MPH). The real difference was in the holeshot and midrange power- the boat just responded 100% better with the Acme- it was smoother, and much quicker to accelerate.

A month after I switched, I got to drive my boat and our old '92 back to back pulling barefooters. The '92 has GT40 heads and an OJ 4-blade, so I was a good 40 hp down. Again, I couldnt believe the difference in the way the boats behaved. The '92 can do 46-47, but I know I would have beaten it to 40. Also, my boat pulled my 190 lbs barefooting at 41 MPH- only losing 2 MPH tells you the prop can bite! Like Stang says, if I take a hard corner and get on the throttle, the prop just digs in- very impressive.

I cant say enough good things about the Acmes, especially the 3-blades. I have heard all the testimonials here about the 540 and 542- and I wouldnt doubt them for a second. Greatest and easiest mod you can do to your boat.

Oh, and one more thing- Ive noticed no significant changes in the wake going between the 4-blade OJ, 3-blade Acme, and 4-blade Acme. If anything, the Acmes may lower the rooster tail a *touch.* 4-blades are supposed to be better than the 3's in this respect, but I just havent seen it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:11am
Thank you guys for your very educated response. From what I've read on the site in the past, ACME seems to be high rated. I want to have a prop I'll enjoy for three events and cruising. Looks like there are different pitch options too. Is that the difference between the 540 and 542? I don't understand the difference between these models. For a 1:1 I assume a 13X13 is the prop of choice?

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:20am
The 542 has 1/2" less pitch (13x12 vs. 13x11.5), that is the difference between the props. SkiDIM says it will turn 150 more RPM than the 540, which sounds about right- I compared my 12.5x15 to my dad's 12.5x15.5 and noticed 180-200 RPM difference at WOT. If you call Bill at Acme, he can tell you exactly how your boat will perform with either prop. My guess is you would be happier with the 540 since you arent running ballast- but I would consult Bill to be sure. Anyone out there who's tried both?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:24am
Thanks, Tim. Looks like the 540 would suit my boat well.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:34am
I just found Keith's documentation on the ACME 540 13X12. That looks like what I want for my boat. Amazing how a prop can make all the difference in the world.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:36am
Ken, just FYI- you'd probably have a little better holeshot with the 542. Id be concerned about losing top end with it though- I know my boat with 240 hp didnt have much speed to give up when it came to barefooting. Keith has a 542 on his 2001, Id get his take on it. Id give Bill at Acme a call for sure- he can tell you the differences between any 2 props on a given hull, even it is as little as 1/4 MPH or 50 RPM.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:13am
My top end has always been 42MPH. I'm wondering what the 540 would give me for speed at 4,400 RPMs. Now I'm weighing out my speed/power options. If I only gain 1 MPH, then I'd rather go with the 542. If I could kick it up to 46MPH, then the 540 sounds tempting.

Ken
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:25am
I gained around 3 mph when I put on my 540. This is off of the airguides though and your mileage may vary. ;)
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:30am
I did a search on the 540 prop. Seems like a lot of people have purchased the 540 over the 542. I don't run at WOT often, but I will on occasion with bad weather rolling in. A few miles an hour won't make a ton of difference, but it's good to have. I don't weigh my boat down with fat sacs and people. I just want my transmission to sing nicely and my engine to be happy.

Ken
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:48am
Ken, The prop is so much smoother than the original 13x13 that I had on there. Now, you've already dabbled in the black arts of prop switching so your change to the 540 might not be as eye popping as the switch from a 28 year old prop to new tech was for me.

With that said, I am extremely satisfied with mine.

I've only had it since last Friday but the only downside that I can see is that I went through more gas than I normally do. But that could be from the extra smile inducing holeshots and WOT runs down the lake.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 12:46pm
Mark,

I really appreciate your input. Sounds like you're happy with your investment. That's sells me right there. I don't want to get too crazy about the differences between the 540 and 542. I'll pick one, the 540 and be happy with it. I'm going to work on improving my barefoot abilities. The 540 sounds like it's better at high end.

Ken
Ride_Klein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ride_Klein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 4:22pm
I've enjoyed my 542 since we got it last year. I did a quick write up on it here. I compared a 542, a rebuild Federal 13x13, and a 2 year old Federal 13x13

I haven't ever driven a boat with an OJ on it so I can't comment on the OJ.

Hope it helps

Prop Test
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:27pm
A 540 will be on our boat next year for sure, I've read enough to convince me.
Ride_Klein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ride_Klein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:16am
Has anybody done a write up on the OJ props or any other brand?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:32am
the oj 4 blade is my choice for the pull but mostly that arm hurting hole shot.after GT-40 heads engine turning too many r's, called eric told him make and application,send it back and he would make it RIGHT,this is what i do. boy he knows his stuff.but after all he makes those props.'64 amer. skier,PCM 302 4400 rpms top speed depends on weight but most days 50 gps is the norm. 3000 rpm needed for my parasail,eric gets all my bussiness,btw can you call acme and talk to the man that is going to repitch your prop, or ask him a question about his product????boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:35am
A lot of people have talked to bill weeks at acme, he did try and sell me the 540 but there was no way I was going to put less pitch on than I already had no need to turn over 6K which I already was turning with a 13 x 13 so I went with the 470 they recommend for the big block motors.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:01am
Posted: July 12 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW, the prop that came on my boat was a 4 blade 18 p OJ. The boat would run 46 WOT (GPS)but only turn around 4100 rpms.
Upon talking with Skidim I learned the prop I had was too large. After discussing several props with them, two were at the top of the list. The ACME #422, and the OJ #428 XMP.
I bought the OJ because it was a little thicker and only a few $ more.
Now the new prop turns just under 5000 rpms and pushes the boat to 47.8 GPS.

Since the above post I've noticed how much more punchy the boat feels accelerating, pushes better through a tight turn, hole shot, and braking.

My .02 worth. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 5:19pm
Ive read a comparison between the 3-blade OJ XMP and Acme 3-blade of similar dimensions on a Mastercraft. Both props performed very well and the performance difference was basically indistinguishible. The advantage should go to the Acme's on our newer CC's though, as their 3-blades outperform their 4-blades (for direct drives, anyways)- OJ doesnt offer a RH 3-blade (4-blades only) for us in their XMP (CNC machined) line.

In fact, I just checked OJ's product list and it doesnt look like they have a RH prop for the 1:1 boats at all- all the RH props (4-blades) are for the 1.23:1 boats, it appears.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 7:42pm
Doesn't OJ have a little issue with the balancing being hit or miss? some are fine others need reworked some?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic