NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Secondary Not Opening?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secondary Not Opening?
    Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:39am
Guys-

My friend with a 350 in his MC has been having some issues with his boat. Apparently the secondary on his carb is not opening? He just put a brand new 4160 on it and afer we manually opened the secondary it ran great. We figured it was the carb so I gave him my spare 4160 to try out. It did the same thing.

Anything to try?

Tim
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:43am
First I would check to make sure the throttle is adjusted correctly and is fully opening the throttle plate on the carb
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 5:00pm
Sounds like your friends needs a nautique... just jokin.   
check this link out:
http://www.recarbco.com/technical/newtrouble.html

You could possibly have a bad fuel pump or vaccum leak. If you replaced it with a brand new 4160, and the plate still does not open, you can probably leave the carb out and look at other things, which would be pump and vaccum. Plus, if you replaced the carb, did you adjust the vaccum on it? I know on my old 84' I had to adjust this after I replaced my 4160.

good luck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:30pm
It has a brand new 4160 on it. It also has a brand new fuel pump on it. Just for kicks we took my spare 4160 and threw it on, same problem.

How do you adjust the vacuum on the carb?

Tim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:49pm
Ok so I read through the holley carb install manual but the secondary is not opening at all. Im confused.

Tim
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:46pm
give this a try because you cann't adjust the vaccum the motor makes. You need to make sure that the cable is adjusted correctly and you are getting full throttle. So move the morse control to wide open, full throttle, then look at the carb and make sure that the lower throttle plate of the carb is straight up and down, you may have to open the top butterfly maunaully to see.

if it is not straight up and down or vertivcal then the cable isn't adjusted correctly and the seconadaries will never open. Did you use a gasket between the intake and spacer plate and another one between the spacer plate and carb. Do you have an edlebrck intake? are you using the adapter plate you have to have? did yo connect the PCV hose to the spacer plate. Can you post pictures of your setup?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:41pm
Pick the carb up, back the MC out from under it and park a CC under the carb and attach.
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:56am
79-

Ill have him check these tonight and report back.

Tim-

We have been teasing him about his MC. He even drives a correct craft in our ski show.

Tim
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 3:45pm
I would still put a vacuum gauge on it and adjust accordingly to highest possible vacuum you can at idle.   But that's a good point.. is the gasket between the carb and intake on or did it get replaced also?

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/H4V-4150-60-80/HolleyB150_html/MCarbHollB150_0042.htm
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 10:03pm
IF the linkage is right, then open the sec diaphram cover and check its scondition.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 1:26pm
You can adjust you secondarys by changing the spring. Summit sells a kit for this. However no matter what spring is in the sec diaphram it should still open if there is not a vacuum leak or linkage problem. The springs are to time the opening for any particular engine.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 10:07am
Tim D can you attach photos of this is done???which boat is moved first,what do you do with old parts,lottsa questions........
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 1:30pm
We found out the problem this weekend:

Weak coil! In the end it had nothing to do with the carb!!

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic