NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

depth sounder questions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: depth sounder questions?
    Posted: August-17-2006 at 12:15am
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a continuing problem with my depth sounder? I bought a new Norcross DF 1000 depth sounder for my 64 right before we went to Green Lake in July.

I have been having problems with it not reading accurately, if at all. I have epoxied the tranducer in the hull ,in three different places and still not right.

I really dont want to, but,Im thinking about mounting the t.ducer outside , on the back of the stern. Im a little worried about it getting hit and breaking , but its completely useless as is...

Does any one have any experience/tips with transducer locations, in-hull or out?    Where's yours mounted?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 1:05am
This may not help but...

I have had a number of humminbirds in various I/Os and all I ever did was put the transducer in the engine well and make sure there was always a little water in the bilge.

Never had a problem, always worked just fine. Same with the depth gauge in my crusier, just add water.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:13am
     You can move it around inside the hull and hold it in place with a sandbag to find a good location before you epoxy it in.If you do this,there must be water in the bilge as the transducer cannot see thru air.You must make sure the epoxy is free from ALL air bubbles.Finding a location outside the hull can be just as challenging.I can tell you a freind of mine had one on the back of his bass boat that was mounted with heavy duty velcro (hook and hook type)so he wouldn't have to drill holes.I never thought in a million years that it would stay on,but it did.

Mike
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:38am
Velcro!?
Ive been fighting inconsistant readings with this unit since I got it... I was even begining to question the sender, but when you just hold the unit in the water (setting still),it does register. Last night I used petroleum jelly to temporarilly hold it in the hull (4th location) and left about 2" of water in it...still no readings. I havent been able to take a test run with it outside the hull, but the velcro idea might be a great way to check it under way.....

When I epoxy it in , I always try to use a lot of adhesive and push it firmly into place to make sur there are no air pockets in the glue...

just not sure where to go next? but might be worth a "velcro" attemt?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:53am
What kind of water are you riding in? I'm sure you've considered this, but maybe the bottom is very murky and the water extremely dirty that's making it hard for the thing to read right?

We've had a similar problem with the Hummingbird this summer...but I'm almost positive it related to the water we're riding in. Will take it to Wisco in a few weeks and see if it improves.

Just a thought
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:59am
Mine is epoxied to the hull right in front of the oil pan. Even though you get a reading when it's dead still, it sounds like there's something wrong. Before I set mine it would read when just floating around in the hull.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:34am
From what I have read, several things can interer with thru hull transducers:

1. Turbulence on the bottom of the hull from thru hull fittings (i.e drain plug, fins, shaft, water intake, etc.
2. Air bubbles in the hull laminate.
3. Air bubbles in the glue to set transducer.

So, it is important to keep the location away from turbulence causing objects like the prop shaft and drain bung. This means off to one side opposite the water intake. Also must be far enough aft so the portion of the hull it is mounted to never comes out of the water. Then you have to test the location to ensure air bubbles in the fiberglass laminate do not interfer with the readings.

And finally, you have to worry about the angle of attack. If the thing is set at an angle to the bottom of the water body, then the measured distance will be greater than actual.

All these things is the main reason my depth finder is still sitting on my work bench shelf and not in the boat. Plus, I do not want to loose my clock to mount it in the dash, etc, etc, etc.
az86-2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote az86-2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 12:52pm
I have the best results by taking plumbers putty and making a round pool of epoxy big enough for the transducer to sit in and fill it with enough epoxy, but not to much that it overflows when you put the transducer in.

I just let the transducer rest in the epoxy makeing sure when I set it in the epoxy it is level when I break the skin of the epoxy so no air bubbles are created.

Another key is when the epoxy is mixed not to be too aggressive or pockets of air will form. Remember to mix it well, but not whip it.

I have my transducer located near my bilge pump by the oil pan. If it doen't work try resetting it until you get it right.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:58pm
    62 wood,
Like I said,the velcro worked for my buddy.It also allowed him to find the right location without any holes.His stayed on,but for all I know he could have had a screw hidden in there somewhere and didn't want to fess up.You'll know when you have the right velcro,it'll peel back off the hull before the two pieces seperate.All of the suggestions above are accurate with my past experiences,but I'm no expert.Good luck
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 12:09am
Thanks guys!
I run in a mud bottom river.. just the luck of the draw in NW IL. The strange thing is, that it actually worked great one night when the water was like glass.. But since then nothing consistant.

I started with it just behind the water intake. (thats where it was the one time it did work)..After that no luck..so I moved it a little farther back ..about where the trans coupler is..again not right...

From there I moved it to the opposite side of the hull and got readings all over the scale...

David F has a point I wondered about.. could there actually be air pockets in the fiberglass hull itself?

Im thinking I might try the velcro on the back , just to see if its working at all at cruising speed...

Again great info!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
grim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 2:27am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a continuing problem with my depth sounder? I bought a new Norcross DF 1000 depth sounder for my 64 right before we went to Green Lake in July.

I have been having problems with it not reading accurately, if at all. I have epoxied the tranducer in the hull ,in three different places and still not right.

I really dont want to, but,Im thinking about mounting the t.ducer outside , on the back of the stern. Im a little worried about it getting hit and breaking , but its completely useless as is...

Does any one have any experience/tips with transducer locations, in-hull or out?    Where's yours mounted?

Make sure it points straight down!!
If you att it to the hull no good

it has to point straight down.

Otherwhise it does not measure strait but to the side
greatings from holland
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 8:18am
grim,
I have checked with the factory on the mounting angle of the transducer. They said this transducer shoots its signal out in a cone shaped pattern, I dont remember the exact max,but it was way more than what the angle of my hull is.

I see your over the pond as they say.. you got a CC? Any pics?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 10:34am
62, just my 2cents, but don't forget to check where the coax is plugged in to the back of the display. I had one that had a loose connection and the reading was good sitting still, but when running the vibration was enough to break the continuity..just another idea. also, if it is a pin type connection, you might have a small bit of corrosion.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 2:38pm
Throw it away and buy a thru hull transducer. And when I say thru hull I mean the kind you need a 2 1/4" drill bit to mount. Never had a problem with mine. Works like a champ every time...
78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 1:07am
UPDATE!!!
Tried mounting the transducer on the outside of the hull today... used velcro(who'd of thought?)!
I really only wanted it to stay on long enough to see if I could get any readings.. we were out for over three hours and the sounder stayed in place and worked! Had a couple of times it gave false (deeper than actual) readings, but went right back to what I believe to be correct.

Im wondering if there are air pockets or something in the fiberglass of the hull, that it wont work consistantly when glued inside?

I might try one more inside attempt, but beginning to look like outside is the answer!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 1:23am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

All these things is the main reason my depth finder is still sitting on my work bench shelf and not in the boat. Plus, I do not want to loose my clock to mount it in the dash, etc, etc, etc.

David,
Just re-reading the previous replys and thought I'd show you what I did with my sounder. I too,didnt want to mount mine in the dash ( didnt want the digital readout next to my old gauges)

I used an Autometer 2" chrome cup and mounted it above the steering wheel. It kinda gives that 60s tach look.. plus very easy to see.... just a thought?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:07am
Your installation looks very good. Unfortunately, my boat has a tilt helm which means the base that you mounted your depth finder to does not exist on my boat. I am starting to think about mounting mine in the side panel just ahead of the throttle...but that pesky capacity plate is in the way.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:02am
David,
You need to get an older boat! No pesky capacity plates even on the 64    ...can you move the plate?

I also looked at mounting the cup on top of the dash...

All I know ,is its great to have the sounder working properly... actually came in handy this weekend.. ( exploring new areas of the river...it was time to turn around when it was reading 3.5 feet!)

BTW .. still "temporarily" attached with velcro !!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 3:12pm
I have a custom depth warning system on my Cobalt, but it doesn't work for crap either !!! It did when it was new, but it's worthless today !! I have no idea where the probe is located or why it doesn't work..

Moj'
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:44pm
   Glad that little tip helped you.might as well keep using the velcro until you have a reason not to.A little glue on the hull is a lot easier to get rid of than a hole!

Mike
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 11:36pm
Any pics of the installation? Thanks.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 12:32am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

Any pics of the installation? Thanks.

I posted this pic on pg one..

I think it worked out ok....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic