Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Replacement Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kilowake66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Replacement Need Help
    Posted: August-19-2006 at 6:51pm
I have an 85 ski nautique with a 351 ford C in it. The other day my boat started hesitating and dieing out. We checked the carb and then the main fuel filter they where fine. Then i looked at the inline fuel filter above the fuel tank and found that it was filled with brown stuff. I then replaced the filter and the boat ran great for an hour. Then the same problem the filter was clogged. I went to west marine and the guy there said to use fuel tank cleaner because the tank has algie in it. I used it for the day but the boat started to dieing more than before and the filter was not clogged. I was wondering what size replacement fuel tank and who make the tank.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2006 at 8:31pm
You'll probably need to call you closet dealer. However, I'll be surprised if someone here doesn't know the dimensions. Vince at skidim.com will also know your answer.

good luck!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2006 at 8:43pm
I live in Oahu Hawaii so my closest dealer is in cali and the shipping will kill me. someone told me about a compay called tempo and i think they have fuel tanks. Also is it possible to put a plastic fuel tank in.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2006 at 9:10pm
Tempo is your best bet for a replacement. I replaced mine last year. The tempo tank was the same dimensions as the original. The only difference was the vent hose location, which was no major deal. In the pic below, the white tank is the original tempo "long cruise" metal tank. It had a epoxy coating which wore off on the bottom of the left end. The black tank is the plastic tempo. It also came with a sending unit. Go to their web site and find one close to the size and measurements of your old tank.
Tim D
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 7:33pm
you'll have to drain the old tank to remove it so why not just clean it out and reuse it? People do it all the time!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:10am
The guy at West Marine is technically wrong. Algae requires sunlight to survive. Obviously, the inside of your fuel tank does not see the light of day, so no algae there. Hoever, in diesel fuel, microbes can survive in the water layer inside the tank. A biocide is used to kill the microbes that can clogg fuel filters. However, this is all a moot point in gasoline tanks.

What you are probably seeing is varnish in the fuel filter. Remove the tank and have it cleaned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:38am
Pulled my fuel tank today and it was filled with brown algae. It is hard to clen out tried to pressure wash but did not work. The size of my gas tank is 56"L 11"T 12"W the closest tank tempo has is 46"L 11"T 10 1/4"W will this work even if it is 10" short.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 8:37am
I would look for one slightly larger than smaller than you already have.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:50am
The shorter one will work but you may have to shim both sides about 5 inchess if it fits between runners. Also check the width to make sure it doesn't interfere with the rudder or prop shaft. The "Brown Algae" in the tank is more than likely rust. If you clean the inside of the tank and do an inspection you will see several places where the epxoy coating has worn through. You can recoat but a plastic tank is a better alternative.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:19pm
I'm going to be up noth friday and have an aluminum tank out of an 81 that should work if you want to pay for shipping and handling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic