Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rope Replacement ???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rope Replacement ???
    Posted: August-21-2006 at 2:43pm
I believe this was discussed before, but for the sake of finding it through the pages, maybe I can get a "Home Run" from you guys and kill off the post quick...

I've wanted to replace the white rope in the rub rail on the Tique, and would like to know the absolute easiest way someone has found to do this.

79' Naut. pointed out that all you have to do is pull the old stuff out and warm up the rubber channel and mallet back in some new... Is it really that easy?? I thought some guys said it was a pain in the AZZ ???

Is there a standard size, braided rope I can get from Boaters World on my way home, or do I need to order this stuff???

"Can't handle the black/mold laden rope anymore" !!!

Moj'
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 2:46pm
I think you skipped the "wash the moldy channel" inbetween those steps, else mold will resume.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 3:03pm
Hey Moj,

May not be the look your after and not "original equipment" but the newer Nautiques have a PVC? insert, definitely easier to clean and you can also get them in various colors. My current boat has black but my previous Air had a Blue insert.

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 3:05pm
pull out old, clean channel.

I have heard of people just rotating the rope 180 degrees and using what was on the inside, depends on the condition of it. Might be able to put a little soap on it to help it slide in.

No idea what size it is though, sorry
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 3:09pm
Yep, want to keep it original, although a colored insert would look good.. Do the newer CC's have the same old rubber channel though??

Hell, I'd buy new, so she "sliiiides" right in, and looks super white !! Yes, I think the soap thing was mentioned.

Thanks guys....
Moj'
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 3:54pm
Moj,

I think they are still pretty much the same black rubber channel, had the PVC insert in my last three boats, 77' and 80' were rope.

79' says heat it up and sliiide it in and PLBC suggests a lubricating aide, perhaps PLBC is working with a larger unit then 79'??
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:07pm
Don't believe I ever mentioned heating anything. i guess you could to make the rub rail a little more plyable but I didn't

I just pulled the old stuff out and got 5/8" dia braided polyester rope from lowes removed the cover at the rear where it meets and pushed the new rope into the channel just cann't be a pussy about it and winnie arm it. Nothing fancy or hard about the job just about a 1/2 to hours time. If you pull on the line or keep tension on it, it will shrink a little and then you have push it back a little to help it relax some before you trim it to length.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:43pm
Sorry Chris, wrong reference on the heat thing... Someone else had mentioned it, in order to make the rope pop back in the rail easier...

Moj
Tomfooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:52pm
Moj,
Just finished redoing my '93 Barefooter. It had a gray vinal round insert in it (about 5/8" dia.) which I pulled out cleaned throughly, and re-inserted. As stated above, While I had it out, I also cleaned out the gunwhale that had a bunch of crap in it, too. It was a hot, sunny day(which really helped everything stay nice and flexible), so after every thing was cleaned and dried, I started at one end with a old dull wood chissel (I guess you could use a flat head screw driver),spreading the gunwhale, PRESSING the the vinal insert in with the HANDLE of a rubber mallet. Most of the time I could press it in with my fingers. When finished, I put the rear trim piece back on using the 4 screws that came out of it. It looks a lot better than it did. I'm not sure how difficult the rope would be, but if needed, maybe you could "Lube" it up with some liquid soap. Hope yours goes as well as mine did.

Tomfooter
"You could buy a cheaper boat, but you would have to ride it"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:36pm
Dave it's not a hard job the vynal is a little easier to go back in than the rope since it has a lot more give to it but the rub rail doesn't give that much so it helps if you have a stick of teflon or a good piece of wood to help force the rope through the opening it will ware you out so have a stocked cooler handy and take your time. Besides I'm tired of look at the old crappy stuff on it now so get-r-done buddy.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:50pm
Me too Chris... Looks damn nasty, so out it's coming !!! Hell, the packed cooler thing is a given, all I need is some rope,hammer, tunes, repreive from the kids for an hour and WAM, done deal..

Thanks... I'll give ya's all a report on how it comes out...

Moj
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:56pm
I went with a blue and white rope vs the solid white on mine I know there is gold and white rope available a solid gold might look good on yours as well, you just need 5/8" diameter stuff from any where you can find it the cheapest and get plenty of extra length you can always use it as dock lines, fender lines hell you can even tie the kids up with it to keep them out of your hair.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:29pm
Someone had posted a picture a while ago of a PVC pipe about 6" long, 3/4" dia they had cut on a 45 degree angle. Feed the rope through it and use the pvc pipe to spread the rubber channel. Never did it but looks like it should work. I guess some use a spreader and some don't need one.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic