NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another 540 prop question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another 540 prop question
    Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:57pm
Really just looking for opinions on what I should do with this 540 prop. It's on my 81 Nautique w/351w, basically stock except for an electronic conversion kit.

The prop is awesome for pulling anything out of the hole but I think it's reving too high. I had the boat out yesterday with a GPS so we could get my speedos calibrated. WOT the boat is running 49 mph turning 4800 RPMS. Sounds like a bit too many revs. The boat screams but I won't leave it there for more than a real short burst.

If I send the prop back to ACME can they cup it & will that have the same effect as adding a 1/2 degree more pitch to it? I'm thinking I could slow the revs down with the added cup or pitch but not lose too much top end.   

What are some of your speed and rpm results with this prop and boat/motor combo?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:02pm
that's not to much rpm for that motor you should be fine adding some cup is the way to go just tell them what rpm your at and that you want to knock off 300-400rpm's and be around 4400-4500
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:19pm
I'm hoping that that will knock the rpms down at skiing speeds too because there's a big trade off to this prop. Awesome Power=lousy fuel economy. This thing has turned into a fuel pig to the point where I'm going to swap out my old 13x13 or even my 13x14 when we're going cruising and just use the acme for skiing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:26pm
it will bring it down accross the board but not that much, do you know what power valve you have in the carb?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:30pm
I put a 6.5 in it this spring with the rebuild
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:33pm
you might try a 2.5 to keep it out of the secondaries more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic