Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rate the wake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate the wake
    Posted: August-21-2006 at 8:29pm
The only ski boat I've ever been on is my own '92 SNOB. Therefore, I have nothing to compare to. I use the boat as a true crossover. 50-50 ski and wakeboard. Pictured below are a few wakes at 25mph, no one onboard other than a lightweight spotter and me...the driver. No ballist either. The wake flattens out a bit when we ski (which is usually @ around 30-34mph). I'm wondering what you wakeboarders think of this wake, and whether or not I should consider weighting the boat down when the kids get a little older....
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/ActonMaine/DSCN1787.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/ActonMaine/DSCN1784.jpg

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 8:41pm
from what i've seen the boarders use a little shorter rope and the wake is little more rampier, Maybe try a little slower speed when boarding I believe 25 is a shade fast but not too much.
liveintegra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liveintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 8:42pm
Std rope is about 70-80 feet, going 20-22 mph.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 8:47pm
You should be able to pull that kid 18 to 20 mph max. My Mustang throws a bigger wake than that. Also, the shorter the rope, the slower you'll want the boat speed.
Tim D
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:02pm
Its a 65' rope. Pictured is my 14 yr old. He may be looking for a steeper wake soon. I think the wake size fits well for my 8 yr old. Dont want it to steep yet for him. Does anyone have any tips on ballist systems for 1990ish SN's?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:07pm
Try a 45' rope and 18 to 20. The wake should have a better shape and height at the speed and placement. Then start adding weight later on.
Tim D
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:11pm
We'll give 45' a whirl. For some reason, I thought a longer rope was better for boarding....
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:33pm
No, I didn't mean it was better. I meant that you could slow down, make the wake a little bigger but a shorter rope is better at slower speeds. At 22 to 25 you'll want a 65' rope, if you go that fast with a shorter rope you will be hitting the wake before you're ready for it.
Tim D
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 9:43pm

It's really a matter of working with what you've got. 10 years ago, before wake specific boats, guys were doing flips off slalom boat wakes, no problem. Boarders would go 18-20mph, and looked for wakes that "popped" them into the air.

Now days, pro level boarders are using towers, travelling 25-26mph, riding on 85 foot lines, etc. At that level, the wake has become more of a moving "ski jump" than a wake providing pop. They want to go as high, far, and fast as possible.

I see two common problems 1) people who can barely wakeboard complaining about the wake because it isn't big enough and 2) people who can barely wakeboard that try to go too high, too far, and too fast. It's more about ego than capability.   

Yes, some of these kids have mad skills, amazes me to watch them. But for most people, you can throw up an acceptable wake on most any competition inboard.

I spent quite a bit of time wakeboarding behind a 90 Nautique (same hull as yours) and a 98 Nautique. If we didn't have the boat weighted with ballast, we typically rode a 50 or 55' line, and travelled 18-10 mph. If you have a high pole it's great because folks can sit in the back seat. Throw three fat friends in back, and the wake will get taller. If we didn't have a ballast, we sometimes put the large cooler (full of beers of course) behind the motor box, again improved the wake size a bit. I had buddies who could do back rolls, tantrums, raleys, etc.

I'd say slow the boat down a bit, use a little shorter rope, maybe add a ballast bag or two, and if the kid gets "too good" break out 60 large, buy a wakeboard boat and enjoy the show BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 12:02am
Another thing the shorter rope does is make it easier to get across the wake on jumps to the sweet spot landing on the other side of the wake.    Most guys don't need anything over 22mph or so.

Good pics btw.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:29am
Look at the wake and more particularily where the board crosses the wake and fine tune the rope length and speed from there. I would shoot for just over twenty mph and then a rope length that ends up about 3-5 feet in front of where the wake starts to wash out. Hes jumping high enough that he aught to have the satisfaction of going wake to wake, if you have to shorten the rope beyond what is recommended above do so and lenghthen it everytime he starts landing repeatedly out into the flats. A 440lb Launch Pad in front of the back seat wouldn't hurt either.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 11:24am
I like the idea of tuning the rope and boat speed so he can clear the wake. Right now, with a 65' rope and 25mph, he's landing on top of the wake....which is making for some interesting tumbles! I'll make the changes this weekend and try to take some more pix and update you all. Thanks for the tips!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 11:27am
Straight lines also help keep the wake consistent, in the photo the boat appears to be running a long arcing path, whenever possible run straight lines with quick somewhat sharp turns back to a straight line when necessary (to whatever degree your skier can handle).

My lake is a bit tight (220 acres) so we ski up and back down the same line, on the turnaround we run a light bulb or teardrop pattern, turn right slightly then back left until you are back to your previous line.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:46pm
the wake seems very soft, and without adding weight the only way to make it harder, which in return will give you a harder surface to "pop" from it to increase the speed. you said you are already going 25 mph which is too fast unless your a pro. so that being said buy yourself a few side sacs from b.i. the rope should be a non stretch rope and i disagree with most saying shorter. try riding at 60 ft to 70 ft. the wake out there will be harder
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:02pm
I agree with the slower speed and shorter rope...I would say 18 mph for now up to 20 and he should spot his landing in the flats! The short line also makes the cut back to the wake on the heal side jumps...faster.
One of my sons is about the same size as your boy...he rides at 20 mph and gets enough air to do inverts...with the shorter line he lands well into the flats...much softer there!Any faster and he has a hard time being in control.
We use about 500lbs on the sides too.

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:40am
All good tips. Anybody got any pix on what a good size wakeboard wake should look like? Like I said originally, I dont have anything to compare to. Thanks!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 11:20pm
I will get you a pic now that my boat is running, your wake seriously is pretty small. No offense, I will totally take a slalom pull off you anytime you offer. Very pretty boat though, if the kid is taking it seriously get the launch pad sacs (440 a side, use one in the back to start) and a pump you will have a big enough wake for anything he needs to do.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jeffinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 11:59pm
I have a 14yr old son and a 92sn also. i pull him at 22mph and a rope length of about 60 feet. he can clear the wake no problem. I then add two ballast bags about 600lbs total. he really loves the added height the bags give. Its not so much the size of the wake as it is the speed in which he crosses. once my son learned to cut hard he gained enough speed to clear even the lower wake. I've been told by both correct craft and my local dealer that the early 90's hull design produces a great all around ski and wakeboard wake. A guy at correct craft said it was such a good hull design that the 2006 model is very similar.

If your son is anything like mine no wake is ever big enough!     
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 12:44am
when pullin a wakboarder you want a FAT wake pull him at 19 or 20 MAX.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by 92'NIQUE 92'NIQUE wrote:

All good tips. Anybody got any pix on what a good size wakeboard wake should look like? Like I said originally, I dont have anything to compare to. Thanks!

92'

I'm no expert(believe me),but I would think if your speedo is accurate that your boat speed is too fast.I'm a rookie and I ride at 65-70 feet anywhere between 18.5-20.5,depending on conditions and weight in the boat.With the correct set-up it takes very little effort to go W2W,just the right edging technique.I've been riding with guys that go at 18.0 in a DD Malibu and do inverts on a 65 foot rope.

If you want to try a different wake sometime,shoot me an e-mail,I'm on Mousam Lake only about 20 minutes from you.Would be happy to take you guys out on the 210 sometime before the season ends.I'm there every weekend and usually have a shortage of people to go....only stipulation is you'll have to take a turn driving the boat,so I can go too

Mike
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 8:50pm
05 210,
Where on Mousam are you? I'm about 3 miles off Rt 109 on the south shore of Great East.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:07pm
   I am on 31st street on the lower lake.Coming from Great East on 109 you would take a right at Emery Mills store,31st is about a mile down on the right.I have been to Great East a few times in the ba$$ boat,We took a right at the country store on 109 and drove down to a launch a few miles in.Not sure where that lies in relation to North,South,etc.Let me know if you're interested.I have a wedding Sat.Sept 2nd,and a wedding Sat.Sept 16.Other than that I'll be around every day on the weekends.

Mike
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:47pm
    Hey Mike, swung by your place Friday at dusk. Didnt see any activity. First time I have been out in a while. Boat still looked sweet at the dock!! BTW, who took my parking spot???

Jeff...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:57pm
    Jeff,
Where you been?Saw your neighbor cruisin by in the Centurion on Sat.I didn't get to the lake until about 8:00 Fri night.Got some fantastic riding in on Sat.Lake was very quiet & smooth except between 2&4 pm on Sat.Im trying to get Ken back up there the weekend of the 9/10 Sept.Can you get a little time off then?Maybe a few others would come with him,shoot him an e-mail and get him wound up!!I'll be back on the water Friday night.

Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:01pm
    Sounds good to me.... Hes should see this post. I need a vacation!!!

Jeff...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:01pm
    Oh,I almost forgot,that's my brother-in-law's Gayliner(sic) tied up in your spot.You can use the end spot on the other dock.

Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:04pm
    You need to get the "NO PARKING CCs ONLY, ALL OTHERS WILL BE TOWED" sign usually on ebay to put on your dock. I can let ya borrow mine even.

Jeff...
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Oh,I almost forgot,that's my brother-in-law's Gayliner(sic) tied up in your spot.Mike

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
waketique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 12:22am
you will find that going slower (18-20) to get comfortable with jumping is good, but once you want to do moves (inverts) a higher speed makes things quite a bit easier, it just seems much more fluid at that speed. rope lenght is typically 65-70. you want to be hitting the wake just short of where it curls over. I wouldn't worry about the wake distance, you always get more props for takin moves out into the flats.
1978 Ski Tique, Skylon, Fatseat And Sacs for ballast
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic