Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a new 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
huey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a new 351
    Posted: August-21-2006 at 11:19pm
Hey guys. I'm a rookie to this site. I have been hanging out over at PlanetNautique for a while though.
My '91 Ski Nautique had a catastrophic engine failure this past weekend. We discovered water in the oil and assumed a blown head gasket. We compression tested all of the cylinders and they were fine except for one that had NONE. We pulled the head and... well check out the photo.
So, I'm looking for a 351 block that will work. Any ideas where to look? Can I use an old truck motor? I'm mechanically inclined, but not very experienced. Thanks.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 11:35pm
it's down in the cylinder pretty deep and hard to see but I would say you could rebuild the block you have it looks like the side of the piston is gone and maybe you dropped a valve too with the knick at one-two o'clock. If theres no holes or cracks in the block your good to go re-building it just make sure the machine shop is familar with marine engine specs.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 7:45am
a while back,i came across a 99 pcm 5.8ho boss gt40 , 315 hp at 4200 , red valve covers , it was a complete(with altenater even) low hour,I resolved the problem, test ran it and installed it into a 26 sea-ray in which the guy ran out of doe and needs to sell it,(never left the shop) it can be had for 2500.00, I know that the boat that it came from the exact drop in was around 7500.00 with labor you have to call me on this one 330-273-8291 eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
huey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 8:31am
wouldn't there have to be a crack someplace with all the water I found in the oil? The head gasket was still in tact.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:05am
I would have to see a picture of the head but if a valve got burnt or a piece of it broke off or it dropped down then it would have sucked water into the cylinder thru the valve. There are a couple extra marks on the top of the piston that lead me to believe there was some metal floating around in that cylinder.

Eric thats a good price for a complete engine, I know a decent long block runs 2500.00 it cost me a little under 3500 for the balanced version I got a couple years back. Diffently saving someone some bucks.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 1:01pm
I did rob the holley off of it and it does also need an intake, but she purred like a kitten when i fired it. It is sitting in the boat with a different carb and aluminum intake on, winter is closing fast and we dont want to store the boat, might be able to beat him up a bit
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 8:32am
The answer to the question of a new block is yes a 351 truck block will work and even if you dont find a crack a raw water cooled engine that is that old is often to corroded to invest all that machining money into when rebuilding. Eric if you have got pictures of that engine for sale I would like to see them, as I am still at 2 correct crafts and only one working (well this afternoon hopefully) motor.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic