Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

250hp OMC distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
southwind 20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250hp OMC distributor
    Posted: August-22-2006 at 1:02pm
This is pretty much the same post I left in parts wanted but mabye you guys can help.
I have a 1976 Southwind 20 with the 250 OMC (350 GM) engine. I want to replace the original distributor with an electronic one or convert the original one over (bad points plate). I remember last year there was alot of discussion on conversions and alot didn't work for certain applications. This has a Mallory single point dist...part # is unreadable. Is there a conversion that will work well?
                          Thanks!   Jeff
Git One ON!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 4:08pm
there are a lot of options on a new dist, HEI, MSD, Mallory i would pick-up an HEI unit off of ebay or get a nice MSD. Is that an inboard or a I/O set-up with standard rotation?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:00pm
It's inboard with right hand rotation...any special type of HEI?   Thanks!
Git One ON!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:37pm
a marine unit but you will have to use your gear on the current dist due to the reverse rotation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:42pm
Not to keep asking stupid questions but do I look for one for a GM350 then? Do I need a special marine type?    Thanks again
Git One ON!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:44pm
Just trying to figure out what I need to put in the ebay search
Git One ON!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:54pm
seems I have found one on ebay, OMC and Mercruser 350 GM ...say it will fit 305 through 540cid. Used stock dist.
ebay #190022833597...think it will work?
Also not sure how to convert wiring.
Git One ON!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:57pm
I bet the NAPA part # 18-5296-2 conversion kit will work. It is for Mallory YL and YD distributors.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:19pm
What so you think about this conversion 79 Nautique?
Git One ON!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:19pm
the wirings easy all you need is the positive lead to run to the HEI you'll have to ask awhite70 about the tach lead not sure if you can just run the neg to the tach terminal on the dist or if you have to run a new wire to the tech lead on the dist.

not sure on the actual ebay auction bring it up and copy the link and paste into the window that comes up when you hit the globe looking icon just above the message window your typing in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:41pm
Git One ON!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:45pm
well I cant get the link to work now so I dont know what I did. What so you think of TimD,s idea about the napa conversion?
Git One ON!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:47pm
I've got the conversion, it works.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 10:52pm
just wondered if it was ok for marine use for the inspection...what was the cost?
better get to bed...Ill check back tomorrow and thanks much for all the info guys!
Git One ON!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 11:01pm
It is a marine part. $139
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind 20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 7:22am
Thanks Tim...do I need to use the original points plate?   Mine is all stripped out.
Git One ON!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 4:29pm
This is the kit.

Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic