Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meridian Blue/Gel Coat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
msbarracuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbarracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meridian Blue/Gel Coat
    Posted: August-23-2006 at 5:56pm
I have just looked at the original brochures and I wonder if my light blue barracuda is meridian or sophwith blue? We are just about to put a new gelcoat on the old girl. Anyone have any input on this process?? Thanks MsBarracuda
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 6:24pm
Well if your going to sand down the current gel-kote and apply new gel-kote does it really matter what it's called now. Pick out the color you like and go with that, it's going to cover the old stuff and shouldn't effect the shade of blue on the new gel-kote being applied. Now if you like the current color that it is now then you have to take into consideration that it is faded a little from the orginal color and you are better off taking a chip of the current gel-kote and sending it to mini-craft and have them match it exactly. Also another thing to keep in mind is if your re-doing all of the gel-kote or just a section of it. If your doing it all then matching the color isn't has important but if are just fixing areas then it does need to match and custom blended gel-kote is the way to go.

Have you tried wet sanding it yet to bring back the shine? a lot cheaper than new gel. Get 1000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it, then follow that up with 1500 grit sandpaper and wet sand it again. Then follow that up with polish and a high speed polisher and you'll have new looking gel-kote ready to wax.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbarracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:16pm
Thanks for the reply. I was just curious what my original color's name was. I have a chip to match. As far as sanding it down - my gel coat is in bad shape. It is more serious than sanding. Cracks. I have owned and loved this boat (1971 Barracuda) since 1980. Putting new gelcoat is a labor of love (lots of love).   
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by msbarracuda msbarracuda wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious what my original color's name was. I have a chip to match. As far as sanding it down - my gel coat is in bad shape. It is more serious than sanding. Cracks. I have owned and loved this boat (1971 Barracuda) since 1980. Putting new gelcoat is a labor of love (lots of love).   

And lots and lots of labor too.
But I guess if there was no love. No one could put in the work it takes to keep them young
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:34pm
if your going to do it your self then invest in a DA and good size air compressor and a right angle ginder. if the gel is cracked then you have to grind it all the way down to the fibergla$$ otherwise they will just come back later.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 9:40pm
sarah in the referance section on the 71 brochure there is a ski nautique with meridian blue and that was the only listed color for the SN so you might use that as a guide to decide which you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbarracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 1:01pm
Thanks 79 Nautique, that answers my question. I really was just curious what the original color was named. I will post pictures in the diary section as it comes along Sarah
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 6:39pm
Sarah be carefull there's no space and capital N on mine that's someone elese
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic