Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gelcoat repair 86 gray deck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelcoat repair 86 gray deck
    Posted: August-16-2018 at 11:53pm
I've got some nicks and chips to fix this fall on the deck of my 86 silver nautique. I've used a spectrum gelcoat patch kit on a 97 boston whaler with great success, after wet sanding you cannot tell where the patches are. But there is no spectrum patch kit for the gray deck on a 86 correct craft.

I know I'm going to have to do some color matching, but I would like to start off as close as possible. Anyone know what spectrum patch kit is relatively close to the 1986 gray deck?

Thanks,
Andrew
Builder
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 7:49am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 4:47pm
I've seen that kit, but I'm trying to start with a gray to minimize the tinting and have better control for repeats once I get it right.

I've been talking to Spectrum today and they are telling me all of their grays are too far off for me to tint to match my boat. Not sure how well they know what my boat's deck color is, I gave them the year and model, so maybe they have some reference from Correct Craft.

Anyway, I did a quick search on Spectrum's site and they have roughly 30 different gray patch kits. Out of 30 grays, one of them has to be close enough for me to tint. Has anyone on the forum used a Spectrum gray to fix the gray deck of a boat with a model year around 1986?

Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 3:38pm
I sent a sample of the deck (taken behind a side cushion) to Spectrum and asked that they tell me which of their currently available kits comes closest to my sample. They called me and gave me a kit number and stated clearly, THIS IS NOT A MATCH. They consider a match to be 0.50 or less on whatever their matching scale is and the kit is at 0.67, so not a match. The kit is # F5521081K. Pathfinder Platinum Gray 2011-2016.

I plan on buying the kit when the boat comes out of the water in a month or so and trying it out on some chips I will tint as needed and reply back here with the results. I'm posting now in case someone wants to give it a try before I get there.

Andrew
Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2019 at 11:48am
I used kit # F5521081K. Pathfinder Platinum Gray 2011-2016 last week for my gray deck. The match was not perfect but you have to know where to look to see it. The patch kit is a hair darker. I suppose if you are adept you could add a touch of white and get closer.

As a side note last fall I did a bunch of gelcoat patches on a whaler jet boat I own and had no issues with the patch kit getting hard within a couple of hours. I used three to four drops of MEK per table spoon. I struggled with the platinum gray kit. I ended up grinding out my first attempt, the gelcoat would not harden. I used 4 drops per table spoon for this patch. It was cool out and If figured that was the issue.

To be sure I looked up a MEK chart and I worked out that 7 drops per table spoon should give me 1.5% MEK. Second try using 7 drops took 4 days to harden up and the temps where in the 70s. Couple of spots needed another coat. Worried I was using too much MEK, I backed off to 6 drops and those patches took 5 days to get hard, temps in the upper 70s. Don't know what went wrong. If you get this kit, let me know how it goes.
Builder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic