Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overheating 1989 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
djenns13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djenns13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overheating 1989 SN
    Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:36pm
So I've replaced the impeller, got a new thermostat, checked the raw water filter, and replaced all the hoses from where the water would pass through the system. I was curious if anyone has experienced similar issues and been able to find a solution. I've hit the engine with an infrared thermometer but it will give low 100s and the temp gauge will hang around at 170 for a little then jump to 180. This is all while in motion, but no tendency to spike when at idle. I tested the thermostat as well and its functioning properly at the 140 degrees its rated for. Let me know.
Dan
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by djenns13 djenns13 wrote:

I've hit the engine with an infrared thermometer but it will give low 100s and the temp gauge will hang around at 170 for a little then jump to 180.
Dan

Are you saying the IR thermometer indicated 110F?

If so, your engine is not overheating, your gauge is inaccurate.

Someone else on the site had this same problem recently, I believe it was a wiring or ground issue.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:55pm
Chances are you have the infamous voltage drop/ weak dash ground and you’re not overheating. Run a jumper ground wire from the temp gauge to the negative battery terminal and see what it does.

You will likely need to run a new dash ground to the permanently solve your issue. If you search the forum, there are many threads about this and how to fix the issue.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
djenns13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djenns13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 11:42pm
Sweet thanks, currently waiting for a replacement trans cooler as the one on the boat appeared to be bent, if that doesn’t fix it I think the wiring is my next area to attack.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2018 at 6:35am
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

You will likely need to run a new dash ground to the permanently solve your issue.

And positive feed besides the negative.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic