Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Battery setup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Battery setup
    Posted: August-24-2006 at 12:54pm
Does anyone know the most common/best setup for dual batteries, along with the best location for the second battery and how to secure it.

Thanks
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 2:26pm
You could battery box it up front, lots of ways to secure it underneath...straps, brackets, gla$$ in the box, cut and recess it at or in the "hump"... Im unfamiliar with the space and layout under the SNOB, so...? Just depends on how much time and energy you want to spend. Or you could volunteer your built in ice box for battery duty.
next you have at least 3 choices of perko switch, isolator, or combiner for connecting with the charging system.
I have also read that your batteries should be simaler in age, type and size, ie dont match a new gel or AGM battery with an older wet battery because the charge cycles differ.
You can also find tons of info on WakeWorld on this project.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 6:35pm
If you use an isolator in the set-up would it make a difference on having to match the batteries and not be need if used?
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:25pm
I would like to use the second battery as a backup, but have it charging from the electrical system.

Or, have my stereo and amp wired to the second battery, and still have it get charged from the system.

Ice box is a good idea, since you have to flip the seat up to get to it anyway, so I usually use the icebox in the dash. I'll check out wake world as suggested to see what components I need to purchase.

Thanks for the tips.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 1:52pm
79, please reread or restate your post. Are you saying if he uses an isolater he does or doesnt need to match the batteries? Does the advice change if using a combiner or perko switch? Thanks.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 1:57pm
todicus, I think the prefered/common way is your second choice above. Have one starting battery and the second for stereo/amp only, both will be charged by your existing alt.
How big of a sound system are you building?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 3:59pm
Well I've never wired two batteries and was refering to the comment about matching the batteries. And I thought if the switch contained or an isolating type device (isolator) was used as well as the swtch it would charger each battery independantly thus elimination the need to match the batteries. And the disired set-up being a starting bat and a deep cyl bat for the tunes. I know me buddies cabin cruisers are set up that way with 1 start and 2 deep cyl's. And I was under the impression that some switches have an isolating curcuitry to charge both independantly regardless of the way the switch is turned.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 5:01pm
I would just run them in paralelle. If you want you can put a switch on one of the cables, just make sure the amperage rating is good. Once you have the switch on you can put a diode in line around the switch so it will always keep one battery charged.

Tim
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:28pm
   79 is right that you can parallel different battery types/ratings with the use of a isolator. If you decide to use a battery switch, then you need to be certain to get a marine deep cycle/starting battery incase you accidently try to start the engine on that battery.
    Tim, a isolator is nothing but 2 doides in a heatsink fin case. It does what you are describing. You need the heatsink to to dump the .6v drop in the diodes.

My personal opinion is go with a isolator, then you dont need a battery switch, and never have to worry about what battery you are on. They are usually under 100 bucks.

Jeff....
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:48am
ok guys I have tried all 3 ways and find the easiest way way to use 2 new matching batteries with a continous duty solenoid.

Of course all you jeep owners know how the system works. For the boat what happens is if your sitting around listen to your stereo with your ignition key off when wired correctly the stereo and amps will play using 2 battery how does this happen the solenoid is in the open postion without power applied to it. The system works great when you start the boat your starting battery is full now solenoid closes and begins charging the batteries. Just my 2 cents
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 2:32pm
Darrel,

I have a sony stereo and a 250w kenwood amp, 4 speakers and a subwoofer. I set a second battery next to the existing battery box, right behind it, and wired my stero and amp to it. I charge it before I go to the lake, but it's a very lame and    amateur setup, and I want to do it right with the proper wiring and charging from the alternator.

Do you know where to purchase a continuous duty silenoid ? and does it come with wiring instructions ?

Tonydjd - I'm diggin' your Old school 88....... what a great looking boat and awesome tower...... is that a tower by nautique ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:24pm
Why do you need a continous duty solenoid? just get an islorator from west marine and be done with it. Leave the radio and amp wired directly to the deep cycle bat and connect the isolator and charge both batteries from the alternator.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:34pm
[QUOTE=tonydjd] ok guys I have tried all 3 ways and find the easiest way way to use 2 new matching batteries with a continous duty solenoid.

That's where I was coming from......... but I would definitely follow your advise as noted.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:08pm
T,
So, right now you charge a freestanding batt before you go out and then just run the stereo off that? Wow, Interesting.
Isnt your ice chest hinged so you dont have to lift the seat to open it?
Was your single battery not enough to power your system?
I am currently running 2 amps, about 550 watts, 4 tower speakers, a sub and 4 boat speakers with one 5 year old $69. battery.
If you go two batteries, just use the isolator and you never have to touch anything again. Remember "79 is right"
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:11pm
79 ideas also works the only thing I did not like was the isolator has a tendecy to get warm being a fireman that I am I don't like things that get hot just my 2 cents by the way coleherse makes the solenoids they also sell them at west marine
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:54pm
    They do make a box they use in motorhomes(my Dad has one) where it is a delay timer to go to your continuous duty solenoid. I dont know exactly where to buy one though. It senses battery voltage as well as ignition key position. It bridges the batteries after 30 seconds of running if the main battery voltage reaches 13.8 or so. The disadvantage is the continuous duty solenoids (look and wire identically as a starter solenoid) fail every so often. A isolator is diodes which really never fail unless overloaded. One advantage of the solenoid is you can easily hook up a switch as a "battery bridge" in case your main battery goes dead for whatever reason, it would get you going. As far as getting "hot" the solenoid will get just as warm as the isolator. The bigger the isolator, the cooler it will run. Use the next higher rating to be safe.

Jeff...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:10am
and don't mount the osolator in a tight area or by a heat source give the heat sink plenty of room for air to circulate around it it's suppose to get hot once the batteries are charged the isolator won't be hot.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 12:14pm
Darrel,

I just recently purchased the boat, and the previous owner installed the stereo and amp, but did not wire it to any switch........... it is hot wired to the battery, thus draining it until it is dead. So I would have to disconnect the leads everytime I docked the boat. So the second battery was a temporary fix until I had time to rewire everything (too busy skiing), and thought that a dual battery setup would be the way to go ( safety factor ).

On my 95snob, the ice box lid is covered by the seat frame, including half of the hinged portion.

So basically it is a mickey mouse setup, and I want to do it right.

And boy do I know that "79nautique is right". I'm glad he is alway's there to help.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 1:24pm
I measured my floor ice box this weekend, 95'SNCB its about 19 inches long. If you could find batteries with enough cca and amp hours that are only 9- 9 1/2 inchs long... both would fit neatly in one spot. Then your original battery area could be a nice tool box/first aid kit....spot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:19pm
just becaue the radio is wired directly to the battery means nothing I have mine that way. Now if you leave the radio on thats a problem turn it off and there's not an issue.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 12:42pm
The amp has no on/off switch. The sony stereo can be turned off, but it is still drawing power because it goes into "demo" mode to show all the features on the screen, thus still drawing some power. I know it sounds stupid, but It has drained the battery before. I was thinking of installing a master switch between the amp/stereo and the battery, and like you said, just turn it off and it won't be a problem.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 1:21pm
the amp won't come on unless the head unit is on. As far as the demo mode I would think that you can change the setting on the radio so that didn't happen and would turn off and not go into demo mode.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 3:19pm
Damn............ I think your right.
Maybe the stereo was left on, which left the amp on and drained the battery. The previous owner said he would have to disconnect the amp from the battery so it would not drain it, but he may have not turned the stereo off completely either.

I read some of your posts on PN about the redelf impeller problem and dealer bashing......... great stuff ! to bad they edited it. One of your posts was completely deleted; it must of had some extra sauce on that post !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 3:43pm
ya just a tad bit.   make sure that the sense(lack of better term) wire for the amp is hooked up to the lead from the headunit, if it is then the amp won't come on unless the headunit is on. Also look into that demo mode surely there has to be a way of disabling it. A way to test it to make sure that the unit is off is run a test light in series with the neg battery cable and if it comes on then there is a drain/headunit is on and drawing power. I don't use the clock function on mine as well, that is a slight drain as well so if that is hooked up directly to the battery then just remove the fuse to that line, it should be seperate from the main fuse for the headunit, while testing for a drain with the test light.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 4:55pm
Looks like I'll be doing some testing tonight !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:27pm
Ok, I'm gonna confuse ya even more. I run a solenoid to connect the batteries, but use a switch at the dash to decide when I want to connect or diconnect them. (Although the batteries cannot connect when the boat is off) A little flexiblity. Easier in my opinion than a Perko. (Forgive the drawing but CAD is at the office)

The parts:
Soloenoid (200 amp)
Relay
Relay Base
The switch is a small LED switch found at an automotive store. Fuse is to protect the switch.

The batteries should be identical. I ran a 200 amp breaker between the batteries (before the solenoid) and another between the battery and amps so I could easily disconnect the power from the stereo.
Don't skimp on the gauge of wire or connectors. I know it's expensive but will cause less problems down the road. Anyway with this setup, I can kill my stereo batteries while anchored and still start the boat. Hope this helps, and forgive the crayon drawing...

For the box, the 210 needs bow weight and I made my own box and covered it with resin. Worked out pretty well.

todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:59pm
WOW ! Nice setup and great picts and diagrams........ thank you for your input !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Fisherman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 8:53pm
On my 79 I used a dash fuse location and put in a duck bill single pole switch and wired my stereo into it so that I can shut it off or turn it on without having the ignition key on. I then run it off the main battery and have had no problems with LOTS of power draw. You'd have to play the stereo for a long time to drain the battery enough to not start the engine.
The PO had it wired to the ignition switch and told me that he seemed to have a problem with burning out coils. Nothing worse than having the ignition sitting on and not running the engine...

I have used battery switches for a long time (35.00) and they work great. Requires some additional wiring work but the outcome is great if you just make sure and switch back and forth every now and then to charge everything up. The nice thing about a battery switch (Perko) is they very, very, rarely go bad yet I have had isolators burn out on me in my motorhomes. You can also turn the swoitch off when in storage and there will be no drawdown on your batteries from "hidden" power sources i.e. clocks.

Central Oregon
'79 Ski Nautique
'84 & '85 MBZ Diesels
'79 Apollo 3000DB
It doesn't need to run bad or look bad just because it's old!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic