NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ACME PROP REPAIR

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACME PROP REPAIR
    Posted: August-25-2006 at 10:47am
Well guys once again I turn to OLD RELIABLE "CCF's" for good advice and info!!
Well I dinged my last good prop, Sooo I asking if going away from OJ "I have three" and stepping up to Acme is a good choice as I live in MN. and the lakes here have shallow launches and backwaters so it is common to ding up two or three props a season. I want to know if an Acme prop after repair is still all that better than the OJs. Or are they shot after they get dinged? Being that the repair shop does not CNC machine the braze or weld? Or do they?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 10:54am
i doubt a local shop or even delta would machine them again if it was sent back to the factory maybe. As far as performance I don't know for sure but I would say that it wouldn't be any different on how it was made the first time and they would perform equally the same after repairs depending on the quality of the repair.

SS whats your thoughts I would think you would have a great bank of knowledge regarding reworked props and their performance before and after.
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:15pm
Acme told me that any quality shop can repair them and the machine marks or lack of will have no bearing on performance.

Rob
jeffinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 8:58pm
OJ(johnson propeller inc.) makes some great cnc props. the XMP 4 BLADE performes better on my boat than the new acme 3 blade. I just talked to Eric Johnson (owner) last week. Give him a call, tell him what boat and engine you have and he can tell you the best prop for your boat. He can even modify it to make it run even better depending on what you want to do.. I sent him one of my props. i had it back in one week including ship time. I have not ran it yet but he was going to add some cup so it performed even better at wakeboarding speeds. The new OJ cnc props are every bit as good as the Acme props. give Eric a call 1-800-359-9730. Tell him Jeff Lakatos from ohio sent you.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 2:20am
jh, wow...2-3 prop dings a season? That's something. Perhaps you could go into the prop bidness. Are there many locals around you that do prop work?

still waiting on SS
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
gg06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 9:12am
I have a OJ Legend 14 16 on my 95 nautique, just moved to FL, wanted a prop for a little more top end, any suggestions?
2 time wrld champ
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 9:56am
what rpm's are you getting and what speed, are there any mods to the engine.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 10:26am
Welcome to the forum GG. What are you world champ of?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Atom25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atom25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 12:27pm
Contact propeller engineering in springfield ma. They repaired my 2 propellers after I mangled them pretty good.

Propeller Engineering
(413) 733-2297
5 Fountain St
Springfield, MA 01108
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 2:29pm
What does it cost to have a prop fixed? It has a bent more than a ding.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 2:31pm
Last one I had re-done was $70
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 2:31pm
It's not that much i used delaware prop in munice,IN and it cost me around 40-50 bucks to fix dings and re-pitch a federal prop last year.
gg06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 3:00pm
No mods to engine, about4 thousnd rpm at about 38 mph, just want a prop for cruising lower rpm and higher speed, and womens water ski world champ 87' & 88'
2 time wrld champ
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 12:00am
My repaired one on the 79 (540) worked like it did the day I bought it.They can be repaired and work as well as new.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 11:01am
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

My repaired one on the 79 (540) worked like it did the day I bought it.They can be repaired and work as well as new.

Ultra, did you have it done locally? I need to send my 540 and an OJ out for some work.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 11:13am
It went to Mikes Prop shop.He is local to me.I had the first 540 he repaired.Had to wait 2 weeks for him to get the dies to pound on.Let me know if you need a Phone #.I went thru a friend who owns one of the local shops and got it done for half the price I was quoted over the phone.He does OJ's as well.I got to know him real well by the end of last summer as the lakes were very low around here.Our super shallow landings do not help much either.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 11:30am
need some feefback on the michigan wheel 4 blade
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by gg06 gg06 wrote:

No mods to engine, about4 thousnd rpm at about 38 mph, just want a prop for cruising lower rpm and higher speed, and womens water ski world champ 87' & 88'

If its a '95 Ski Nautique, those are some pretty weak top end numbers unless youre running at some serious altitude. The base 240-255 HP 351w should turn at least 42MPH @ 4400RPM, so my guess is you need a tuneup.

The new Acmes are much better props than the OJ Legend- Ive done the switch on multiple boats. The Acmes will turn a touch more RPM though, so if you want to get the RPM's down that may not be the way you want to go.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

It went to Mikes Prop shop.He is local to me.I had the first 540 he repaired.Had to wait 2 weeks for him to get the dies to pound on.Let me know if you need a Phone #.I went thru a friend who owns one of the local shops and got it done for half the price I was quoted over the phone.He does OJ's as well.I got to know him real well by the end of last summer as the lakes were very low around here.Our super shallow landings do not help much either.

Ultra, I wouldnt mind having his contact info. I bent the blades on my Acme a few weeks ago and need a shop that can do a good repair on the new CNC props. Ive heard that sending the thing back to Acme is not the way to go, as they outsource repairs anyways.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:10pm
Did you bend the Blade or Bend the tip of the Blade ? If you bent the Blade itself it is now a Candleholder for your deck (looks pretty cool).You can call him locally @ 608 221-1111.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:32pm
Just bent the tips of the blades- hopefully its not reduced to a candle holder just yet!

Thanks for the contact info- id much rather send it to someone who is highly recommended with these new Acme's.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:59pm
I have bent ears on my prop a couple of times. I took it down to my local prop shop and had it streightend out no problem.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic