Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering getting tight?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering getting tight?
    Posted: August-27-2006 at 3:05pm
I have a simple question. I fogot to grease my steerting rudder last year. Never felt tight or anything. I have noticed it getting snug the last few times out. I pulled the floor up and shot plenty of grease in the rudder shaft or whatever it is called. Feels ok. When I spin the wheel lock to lock, it feels like there is a catch at the same spot in the rotation. I was going to get this steering cable lube at a marina this summer but pa$$ed. Is that steering cable lube worth it or is it a gimmick?

Also, is there a way to take out that oh-so-slight slop in the steering wheel. There is about a 2-3" amount of wheel movement left to right before the rudder moves. I don't know if there is an adjustment in the rack or what?

Does anybody have any good hints on what may be going on?

As always...THANKS
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 4:28pm
There may be a zerk on the steering cable at the rear near the rudder where it locks into the mechanism that holds it. If so, grease there. If not, try just turning the wheel all the way to the side that extends the cable, putting grease on the cable and then working it back and forth to get the grease worked in.

To see if it's the rudder or the cable, try unhooking the cable from the rudder, turn the wheel and see if it's still tight. If the grease won't loosen it up, it may be time for new cable.

play in the wheel...hmmm...I'll let someone else respond.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 7:26pm
THanks "dude"!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic