NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiweight for Fall

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiweight for Fall
    Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:11pm
Well, I'm creeping up to the 50 hour mark for this season. Luckily the "season" has just started since the fall is when we really start hitting the water often. Anyhow, according to the previous owners, my boat "always" had straight 40wt oil, so I continued the tradition this year and fed her Valvoline 40wt racing oil this spring. I have 5 qts of Pennzoil 15-40 sitting on the shelf and I was thinking of throwing that in for the fall since we've been known to ski well into November. I know we've been over this time and time again but I'm paranoid about switching the weight on an engine for the first time ever if it has in fact only been fed straight 40 before. Thoughts? OH- and I don't want to damage the engine using the straight 40 in ~ 50 degree weather. Is that a myth? I heard of blowing rear seals, etc...?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:32pm
never seen 15w-40 oil still pretty thick oil what temps are you going to see in your area? I would suggest a 10w-40 oil.

Well just went to penziol's site and your refering to marine grade oils with the 15w-40 I've always used automotive type oils if your going to stick with the marine stuff then the 15w-40 you have on hand should be fine. I always use 20w-50 in mine but I don't use it in the winter months.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:37pm
I'm thinking around 50 degrees or so outside temp. It also takes a while for the engine to get up to temp in that chilly water too. We usually adhere fairly closely to the 100 degree rule (50 water/50 air). Here in Chicago we have to maximize the season as much as possible. We'll ski until the lakes freeze.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 5:53pm
I don't know if I would use the 15w-40 stuff and would lean towards 10w-30. It's not going to hurt the engine either way it'll just crank a little slower and the oil pressure will read slightly higher than normal if you use the 15w-40 untill it warms up. a$$uming that you don't have a closed cooling system as wel that would let the temp come up some more. l diffently wouldn't use straight 30 or 40wt oil in it.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:39pm
I run straight 40wt all year, we ski in 40 degree air temps about 45 degree water temps. I am running it in a 454, she cranks a little slow and is very cold blooded. She requires about a 3 minute warm up before ready to leave the dock and preform well.
SteveY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2006 at 11:34am
M3Fan, do you have the GT-40? On my GT-40, I used 30 weight in the fall and spring and 40 weight in the summer. I was told by PCM not to put the multiweight oil in my GT-40. And, years ago Jeff Warner told me just to use 30 weight year round.

Just my .02 cents.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 2:34pm
Well guys, I just filled her up with straight 30 wt from Napa with a napa gold 1515 filter. The manual says
>=50 degrees: straight 40
< 50, straight 30.
< 32, 20 W 50 (multi)

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:27am
M3Fan- What year boat and type of engine? just currious, I was not too sure what type of oil to use. the previous owner used straight 30wt. thats what I just put in it . I think it should be good for the weather here in N.E. Ohio this time of year, but I think I will switch to 40wt in the summer.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 8:46am
He's got a 2000 Ski Nautique with the GT40 motor. I believe those oil recommendations in the manual will be the same for all 351w PCM motors.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 9:49am
By not using multi-weight oil your just putting a little more wear and tear on the motor during start ups using the straight 30 or 40 weights.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:28am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

By not using multi-weight oil your just putting a little more wear and tear on the motor during start ups using the straight 30 or 40 weights.

I thought about that, but since they don't reccommend a multi until below freezing temps, I have to wonder at what temperature the "multi" portion of multiweight actually kicks in. As in, at what temp do the agents in the multiweight oil actually alter the viscosity? At 50 degrees F, will my 15W40 actually be at a lower viscosity than straight 40, or will the agents in the multi not have "activated" at that temp?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:20pm
temp has no effect it's the heat that gets the viscousity up and your comparing old knowledge to current knowledge so the multi weights at that time where not as good as the mutlti weights of today. then again maybe they where just too lazy or didn't want to spend the cash to update the manual.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:33pm
So at 50 degrees, a 15W40 will pour like 15W oil and only becomes 40WT when the engine warms up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:38pm
yes the lower number is at ambient temp and the higher number is when it's hot. Now if the temp drops way down then the oil will thicken up some and not flow as well say -15 compared to 0 or even 0 compared to 32 above.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:43pm
Did some quick googling and found some info here:

An oil sold as 10w-40 is no thicker than 10 weight oil under Winter (10w) conditions, meaning below freezing. The 40 means it is no thinner than 40 weight oil at 212° Fahrenheit. So, the first number tells us the performance of the oil at or below the temperature of freezing water, and the second number tells us the performance at the temperature of boiling water. The chemicals added to the oil to accomplish this are called Viscosity Index Improvers (VIIs).
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Did some quick googling and found some info here:

An oil sold as 10w-40 is no thicker than 10 weight oil under Winter (10w) conditions, meaning below freezing. The 40 means it is no thinner than 40 weight oil at 212° Fahrenheit. So, the first number tells us the performance of the oil at or below the temperature of freezing water, and the second number tells us the performance at the temperature of boiling water. The chemicals added to the oil to accomplish this are called Viscosity Index Improvers (VIIs).

The article was here: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 10:44pm
PCM Specifies 15W-40 for my '02 Excalibur. Aside from marine specific grades 15W-40 is most commonly a diesel grade, but is also rated for spark ignited engines On the back of the bottle the API seal has a rating something like CI/SL (the C in CI stands for Compresson Ignition and the S in SL stands for Spark ignited).

For simplicity I switched to 15-40 in the 351W in my '79 Nautique. Been using it for 2 seasons and it works great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic