NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you cross?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you cross?
    Posted: August-27-2006 at 6:52pm
Do you cross your safety chains on your trailers? My dad told me a long time ago it was safer to have them cross instead of being parallel. If the hitch came loose, it would have less play if they were crossed. I'm surprised at the people I know that don't do it or never heard of it. I don't know, it might be the law in some states.
Tim D
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 6:56pm
I cross them, why? i have no clue always have though
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 7:18pm
if you cross them the tongue is likely to get caught in the basket made by the chains, if you dont it falls right to the ground possibly digging in and causing even more hurt than youre already in for, heres hoping none of you ever find out if there is a real difference between crossed or not..
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 7:38pm
I cross...usually. I guess it depends on the length of the chains.If they are on the shorter side, then I may not cross them.
Scott
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 8:40pm
I'm with Eric....I cross, only because someone 10 years ago told me to! Now, I know why...Thanks JoeinNY.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 8:40pm
I do and My dad does as well for the exact same reason Joe stated, if the cahains are too short to cross then they are probaly to short to start with.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:01pm
I agree with Joe, if it falls, there's something there to catch it. If your chains are too short to cross, you might not be able to back sharp turns. What is a cahain?
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:36pm
now that we have discussed the crossing issue,how do you position your hooks,i was told at a Ranger ba$$ boat seminar,to insert hook with the opening to the rear,the reason being in the event that the trailer seperates from the ball,and you slow down,the coupling will go under the bumper or the receiver. the chains are less likley to jump out of the "holes" in inserted w/ opening to the rear.grab your chain and see if it makes sense to you ,opened my eyes........ boat dr.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:12pm
Hook, opening facing the rear.
Tim D
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:24pm
I just make the sign of the cross.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

I just make the sign of the cross.

Lol
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:36pm
Yeah I cross them...never knew why until now! That is how my dad wanted it done, so we did it that way .
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:43pm

I cross for the same reason Joe says. I also hook with my hooks coming from under so they wont have a tendency to hop off.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 11:46pm
Man,
We're all on the same page! Cross em for sure... (I do it for the reason JoeinNY does).. ..hooks open to rear!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 11:53pm
I cross...and I know from experience it is the correct way to go. Had a landscape trailer hop off the ball.

Also, don't use a nut and bolt to hold the coupler lever closed, use a clevis pin. When the coupler hops off, all sorts of things get bent out of shape. Even though I had the correct wrenchs I needed to remove the nut and bolt, I still had to hammer the heck out of the bolt to break it off.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:30am
Is safety chain being used as a generic term, or does everyone use chains & not the cables? My crownline came with the cables & just wondering if the chains are a prefered option.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:56am
they surve the same purpose I know my buddy's ranger has cables vs chains. manufactures preferance I guess. Not sure on the hook direction not sure if it would make a difference which way they face
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:56am
Years ago I was picking up my dad's boat (a 19' IMP.) It had suddenly stoped running on one portion on the lake. Since he always kept his boats on a lift he really never used the trailers. So, I had to get the trailer and happened to notice there was no safety chains on it. I almost took the trailer as it was, since I only had to pull the boat a few miles back to our place. I found one length of chain, about two feet long, so I attached it to one side of the trailer and hooked it to the truck. The trailer had one of those screw down type of couplers. On the way back with the boat we had to cross a bridge over part of the lake. The bouncing caused by the expansion joints loosened the coupler and I heard the trailer drop off the ball. Since we were still on the bridge there was no place to pull over, and I was afraid to brake, so I let the truck and boat gradually slow to a stop right at the end of the bridge. I had images of the trailer breaking loose and crossing into ongoing traffic, or hitting the bridge guard. I feel very lucky, but traffic was sure snarled behind me for a while. Now I use safety chains (crossed!) even driving the 300 yards from our house to the boat ramp, and I don't use screwy couplers.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:09am
well you did the right thing by not stopping quickly in that situation you did exactly what you should gradually slowing, keeps tension on the chains and prevents the boat from running in to the vehicle.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:26am
When I was about 12 years old while taking a boating safety/licensing course the instructor covered safety chains, he said always cross the chains for the same reason as JoeinNY explained.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 5:54pm
I cross, and I recently switched the hooks I use. A friend hooked my trailer up AND hooked the chains. However, he forgot to put the pin in the receiver hitch. As he went out of the driveway the hitch pulled out and even though the chains were connected, the chain quick links bent straight and the boat rolled away The spare tire acted as a brake and the boat came to a stop without rolling back into the garage doors (thankfully!). I switched my chain quick links out with shackles. They're a little more trouble to put on and off (not much really though) and I feel alot better about them.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 6:15pm
What is a "clevis pin"?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 6:59pm
It's a pin with a special wire that prevents the pen from coming out of the hole.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:19pm
Dude: I am with you on the "crossing"

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 1:45pm
The safety chains on my trailer are not even attached to the trailer itself (not welded or bolted on) - they just loop thru loop of metal below the tongue of the trailer.I cross them, many times, so they don't drag on the ground.
-Brad
AbunDiga909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbunDiga909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 3:03am
I cross them b/c thats how I was tought... but I remember reading somewhere that doing it w/ the new cables is pointless b/c they will stretch to be too far, but I still do it anyway, muscled memory....
I Nautique, therefore I am.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic