Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noise at strut

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skicraz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noise at strut
    Posted: August-28-2006 at 12:45pm
Hello all.

I have a bit of growling sound coming from the cutla$$ bearing when I put in gear.

First I have aligned the shaft from engine to center of thru hull. It apears though that the shaft is up tight in the strut. If I drop the shaft down any more then it will not be aligned thru the hull.

Any ideas!! Thanks!

I love my 80 SN.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 10:32am
My take (might be wrong, but what I would do). Attempt to get the shaft as straight in the cutla$$ bearing as possible. If this means lowering (or raising) the engine, then do so. Do not worry so much about the shaft being in the exact center of the log. You can compensate (slightly) via the rubber hose connecting the packing gland to the log. But, the packing nut cannot rub on the shaft.

The shaft coupling to tranny hub alignment is critical. If the shaft is slightly skewed in the cutla$$ bearing, it will be ok and is really not that unusual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic