NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt-40 heads and performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 7:20pm
Always tinkering Right!

Big price diff on the intake!I think I will go ahead and get the typhoons... I like the polished look too. Sense I already have the heads...won't cost much ! Still have a some time to get them on and play a while

Thanks all for the input!

Chris...regarding parts boat...do you have the black round floor access ports(what ever they are called)?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:47pm
i don't know about the clearance, It shouldn't be an issue by the looks. The main reason I like them is they are bacisly like the edlebrocks but cheaper and they have a cross over on the rear coolant pa$$age that almost all others don't.

Just got a call from My machinist and the DOOE heads are done ported and ready to bolt on so It sounds like I have a winter project to get them bolted up, a new chrome intake, and the Edlebrock exhaust mounted too.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:34pm
Thanks TRBenj and Chris! I checked ebay for the professional products "Typhoon " Intake...145.00 + 20.00 (shipping) for polished alum. That looks like a good deal! Looks cool too!

Any clearance issues?
stang

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 1:52pm
Gary, Im not Chris but Ill chime in anyways. A 302 aluminum intake is a pretty inexpensive upgrade, so I think its worthwhile- anything to help flow. If youre just doing the heads and intake, the Edelbrock Performer should give a nice improvement. '79 also likes the brand thats very similar and a little cheaper, I think its called Professional Products.

Once you go that far its time to start considering a cam... and if you want to turn a little more RPM, the higher rise dual plane intake manifolds breath even better for midrange power- Performer RPM, Weiand Stealth etc... but I guess we should take it one step at a time!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 12:40pm
TRBenj...that is enough motivation to go to the garage! Thanks!

Chris ...what are your thoughts on performance intakes in addition to the swap?
stang

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:28am
Gary, we swapped in the GT40's on our old '92 (351w). The engine had no other mods (intake, cam, etc). The boat picked up a solid 3 MPH, so we saw a real nice improvement.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:21pm
He-- yes it is!
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:12pm
I don't know specs, but I sure hope your boat will be faster than hers. That's an important goal to have!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:33pm
Any one know what the torque speck are...good rainly day project, and it's been raining...plus my wife won't know that I took the gt's from her boat and her's should not be faster than mine right?
stang

The Super Air

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:45pm
I think that if you change to the gt-40s, you will only notice difference up over 5000 rpm where quicker air flow from the bigger valves becomes an issue. You also will have a bigger combustion chamber there for less compression ratio. I think....

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:25pm
Chris...They would go from one 302 to another 302...no drilling !

What diff in performance could result from just a head swap?

How much better with another intake(edelbrock )?
stang

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:19pm
gary you have to have them drilled out to accept the larger head bolts that the 351 uses other than that it's bolt on
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:55pm
I know there are many threads on these heads...anyway a couple questions.

I have a set of cast gt-40s (marked GT) on my 302 in a mustang(low hrs), PO had them just installed before I bought it...I am thinking of swapping them to the 302 in my 72 SN. Is it as simple as unbolt and swap?

Also...what kind of performance should I see if I just swap heads and no more?

Will performance be much better if adding an edelbrock alum. performer intake?

I would be tickled pink if I could gain 2-3 mph on the top!

Also...I have a complete 302 sitting in the garage(good shape)...Might want to see what I could have done to that engine and use the heads on it...any performance recommendations?
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic