NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt-40 heads and performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt-40 heads and performance
    Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:55pm
I know there are many threads on these heads...anyway a couple questions.

I have a set of cast gt-40s (marked GT) on my 302 in a mustang(low hrs), PO had them just installed before I bought it...I am thinking of swapping them to the 302 in my 72 SN. Is it as simple as unbolt and swap?

Also...what kind of performance should I see if I just swap heads and no more?

Will performance be much better if adding an edelbrock alum. performer intake?

I would be tickled pink if I could gain 2-3 mph on the top!

Also...I have a complete 302 sitting in the garage(good shape)...Might want to see what I could have done to that engine and use the heads on it...any performance recommendations?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:19pm
gary you have to have them drilled out to accept the larger head bolts that the 351 uses other than that it's bolt on
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:25pm
Chris...They would go from one 302 to another 302...no drilling !

What diff in performance could result from just a head swap?

How much better with another intake(edelbrock )?
stang

The Super Air

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:45pm
I think that if you change to the gt-40s, you will only notice difference up over 5000 rpm where quicker air flow from the bigger valves becomes an issue. You also will have a bigger combustion chamber there for less compression ratio. I think....

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:33pm
Any one know what the torque speck are...good rainly day project, and it's been raining...plus my wife won't know that I took the gt's from her boat and her's should not be faster than mine right?
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:12pm
I don't know specs, but I sure hope your boat will be faster than hers. That's an important goal to have!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:21pm
He-- yes it is!
stang

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:28am
Gary, we swapped in the GT40's on our old '92 (351w). The engine had no other mods (intake, cam, etc). The boat picked up a solid 3 MPH, so we saw a real nice improvement.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 12:40pm
TRBenj...that is enough motivation to go to the garage! Thanks!

Chris ...what are your thoughts on performance intakes in addition to the swap?
stang

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 1:52pm
Gary, Im not Chris but Ill chime in anyways. A 302 aluminum intake is a pretty inexpensive upgrade, so I think its worthwhile- anything to help flow. If youre just doing the heads and intake, the Edelbrock Performer should give a nice improvement. '79 also likes the brand thats very similar and a little cheaper, I think its called Professional Products.

Once you go that far its time to start considering a cam... and if you want to turn a little more RPM, the higher rise dual plane intake manifolds breath even better for midrange power- Performer RPM, Weiand Stealth etc... but I guess we should take it one step at a time!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:34pm
Thanks TRBenj and Chris! I checked ebay for the professional products "Typhoon " Intake...145.00 + 20.00 (shipping) for polished alum. That looks like a good deal! Looks cool too!

Any clearance issues?
stang

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:47pm
i don't know about the clearance, It shouldn't be an issue by the looks. The main reason I like them is they are bacisly like the edlebrocks but cheaper and they have a cross over on the rear coolant pa$$age that almost all others don't.

Just got a call from My machinist and the DOOE heads are done ported and ready to bolt on so It sounds like I have a winter project to get them bolted up, a new chrome intake, and the Edlebrock exhaust mounted too.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 7:20pm
Always tinkering Right!

Big price diff on the intake!I think I will go ahead and get the typhoons... I like the polished look too. Sense I already have the heads...won't cost much ! Still have a some time to get them on and play a while

Thanks all for the input!

Chris...regarding parts boat...do you have the black round floor access ports(what ever they are called)?
stang

The Super Air

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:12am
my take on the GT-40 heads is not the flow cfm nor the runner volume the added power comes from the increase in compression ratio,most PCM 302 came w/351w heads from the factory.but you have to be careful with your choice,size of the c/c can be anywhere from 64cc to 55cc depending on casting no. and application.mine came off a '95 HO and have 64cc chambers,any good speed shop can tell you what chamber size you have from the casting #,as far as intakes go,bite the bullet and by the Edelbrock,go USA,not some chinese copy that looks good,79 will probably disagree on that. i prefer GO to SHOW but then again i am just a lowly boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:39am
I agree that the slight increase in CR helps- but I dont think its the biggest factor. The GT40's outflow the stock heads all across the board by a pretty significant amount. I would think that the better breathing is what allows you to pick up several hundred RPM at the top end.

To see a good side-by-side comparison, check out the Ford head flow chart here: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/630.shtml
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 10:36am
if i understand that flow chart they are referencing flow @ .500 lift,the numbers dont apply to my 331,as my lift is only .450 and the uses of a boat motor and a hot rod are like comparing apples to oranges.my intention is to build torque,not that pie in the sky called "peak horsepower". if flow was the answer to torque,i would have opted for the twisted wedge,but runner volume is around 200cc that would ,in effect, hinder the low end pull i am seeking.rarely will this motor see 5000 rpms or the calculated 350 plus HP,but i will use the 400 ft. lbs. with my fat buddy in a 24 foot parasail........boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 11:09am
Actually, the chart shows flow from .100 to .600 of lift. I agree that a race motor that turns high RPM is not comparable to our boat motors that generally turn 5k max. However, I dont think that low end torque is the most important factor on our motors either- I think its all about the midrange power. The cam I chose for my boat makes power from 2500-5200 and it works great. Holeshot is much stronger than stock, and the midrange power is terrific- a great ski boat motor. Since I get 3k+ RPM out of the hole, I dont see the need to make huge amounts of power below that point. The 400+ RPM I picked up on the top end can be attributed to the higher flowing heads and intake (and the cam that can support them).

How many RPM do you turn with your new setup?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:33pm
yesterday just for a short blast and low timing 5800,lots of power .going to need more prop 13x13 ain't gonna cut it... 64cc GT-40 with the flat top pistons.i do a lot of cruising at or below 2500 rpm,plus i like that 400 rpm idle in gear,but that is what i do,what ever floats Your boat is all right with me........ boat dr
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:07pm
Great info and thanks! I am keeping things somewhat simple...swap heads and intake!If I pick up 2-3 mph it's a success!Low end and mid now are strong.
stang

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:32pm
Boat Dr, 5800 RPM is no joke! I wonder if the Acme 470 (12.5x15) that Im running would be too much for your boat... maybe not! I know '79 is running it on his 1:1 Nautique with good results.

Gary, I think 2-3 MPH is easily attainable with intake and heads. What are you running for speed now? Low end and midrange should improve as well... Let us know how it turns out!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 6:30pm
Tim,

On the gps...I am seeing 46mph...tach reads 4000 and is most likely off a bit(original tach 1972).
Hole shot is great and midrange too...0-40 is fast, but top end is not there like I want it! 49- 50mph for a 302 in a SN would be nice! Funny thing is...in the fall last year right after I brought it home, it was hitting 47 and that was before I removed 300lbs of soaked foam and drained two year old gas out???
I also switched to an EI ign...reset timing. I think the carb can be fine tuned a bit as well as minor timing tweeking.That with the head and intake should get me there!
Or just go out and find some old gas!
stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 6:32pm
One more thing...this summer I added a 540 ACME...much improved hole shot and bites well in turns...but again not seeing much diff in top end???
stang

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 6:59pm
46 is no slouch for a 302 in a Ski Nautique, thats for sure. Strange that it was faster before though... Where was the soaked foam? Ive noticed that we can pick up a solid MPH by putting a few people in the back seat.

I bet that the heads, intake and a full tank of gas will get you there!

Oh, and I would say its a pretty good bet that your tach is off. With a new 540 and 46MPH on GPS, 4k RPM doesnt make much sense.    
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 7:17pm
with my 13x13 OJ 4 blade w/borg warner i am 1:1 RPM vs. Speed. even at the higher speeds i am getting now.2500=25mph 3500=35 mph.yesterday on gps @5500=54.7mph too fast to be looking down,for a short burst it pulled past 6000 ,this is contrary to what my cam guy said,should run out of breath @5500rpm's. never had a boat that pulled this hard ,there is no substitute for cubes..boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 7:56pm
That's pretty consistent with what Ive seen. With stock sized props, both 1:1 and 1.23:1 boats seem to run pretty close on RPM vs. MPH. You can see some differences due to hull efficiency though. Once you start changing prop sizes, that can skew everything as well. Before my mods, for example, I was seeing 43MPH @ 4600RPM.

Boat Dr, I see that Cam Research did your cam- I have been impressed with mine. Did you have to source them the reverse rotation blank? When I ordered from them they said they could not get them.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 8:12pm
yes they supplied the blank and the proper numbers to made this whole package really come to life,lots of questions,but am super happy with the end product,Houston Performance built the shrt block and balanced the rotating a$$y. lots of people involved,but not a whole lot of money for the increase in torque and HP. i have spent a lot more on toys and did not get this much bang,go 331 ............. the blank is 351W no more 302 blanks,but my firing order was the same as the 351 fat chance on my part........boat dr
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:32pm
It does run pretty strong...I'm trying to reach close to the 50 mark with it with out major machine work...that would be pretty good for a 302!
I figure the rpms should be closer to   4400-4500 at that speed .I think I will put on another tach and see.

Soaked foam was removed everywhere..but it was not heavily soaked...once I got started, I just got it all out...even up under the bow.
stang

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

It does run pretty strong...I'm trying to reach close to the 50 mark with it with out major machine work...that would be pretty good for a 302!
I figure the rpms should be closer to   4400-4500 at that speed .I think I will put on another tach and see.

Gary, I think your tach's gotta be off. Granted I have a 351 not the 302 but we put a GPS on my nautique last week and ran 49mph at 4800 rpm with the 540 acme prop. 2 completely different boats but 4000 sounds low. I'm going to send the prop out over the winter and have it cupped to bring my rpm down just a bit.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:53pm
Yeah...it has to be...with the federal 13x13 before the 540...same thing low rpms...it sounds like it's rappin out pretty well.It's an old tach.
stang

The Super Air

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 10:38pm
Hey boat dr, what temp do you run at that speed? mine goes up some at 50+mph 10 to 15 degrees til i slow down to around 40 then it cools down fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic