NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat doctor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat doctor
    Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:44am
figured out the problem, ended up being the condensor, lesson learned never rule out a new condensor as being the problem, 3 days later, got the boat running
"the things you own will start to own you"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 10:02am
Ah you got a BOOB (Bad Out Of Box)...happens more often than it should.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 10:07am
Would that be a "Daveism"?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 1:32pm
I was ready to send it to another shop thats how disgusted i was, had another 4 dayer and it ended up being a tach shorted and in turn was shorting the coil. to this day i would have never of figured that out untill i ran into some old timer
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 2:45pm
Things are alot different now with electronis ignition,My dad always said there was more chance the new condensor was bad than the old one would go bad,he said carry a known good one in the glove box.

I had a tach kill the ignition on a vw dune buggy once,got lucky finding it myself had spade terminals at coil and didn't hook it back up when i tried new coil started right up.
a little while later i stopped to hook tach back up and when i did with it running it died.

Munday
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 9:01am
Yep tachs will get you. I restored a '72 BMW 2002 a few years back and made the mistake of incorrectly connecting the tach (at the tach, wires reversed). The tach worked fine, but the engine was always hard to start. Fine when cold, but darn near impossible when hot. I gave up and had a BMW indy take a stab...it stumped him. Tried another indy and he found the problem. Man did I feel stupid. I did a ground up restoration and goofed up on such a minor detail. Doh!

Moral of the story: When having ignition problems, I suppose order of business would be to disconnect tach at coil while troubleshooting.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 9:25am
jimmy buffet says " There is no dumb a$$ vaccine " if you have not been stumped in this industry you aint worked on enough boats,situations like this make you appreciate lower units and powerhead rebuilds..............boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 10:28am
im getting worried that i'm turning into a old timer, i know someone's going to call me some day with the same problem and you know what i'm going to say....... try removing the tach wire, i guess thats how you become an old timer. .....what age do you become a old timer, just curious
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 10:39am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

im getting worried that i'm turning into a old timer, i know someone's going to call me some day with the same problem and you know what i'm going to say....... try removing the tach wire, i guess thats how you become an old timer. .....what age do you become a old timer, just curious

Mostly, you just get old BKH
Livin' the Dream

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 12:42pm
in my own sick way of thinking;it is not the time on the clock but the milage on the odometer.youth is wasted on the young............there is an alternative to aging....
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

in my own sick way of thinking;it is not the time on the clock but the milage on the odometer.youth is wasted on the young............there is an alternative to aging....

Agreed. But, the mind and body are kind of like having a low hours boat. Personally I'd rather get out and use it, and worry about the alternative if it wears out. BKH
Livin' the Dream

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 6:20pm
if i would have known i was going to live this long i would have???????????????????NOT I would do it all over, every stupid and foolish event in my life,it builds charactor.plus it gives you something to warn your children about and the grandkids food for thought...................... boat dr
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 6:29pm
Good food to chew on boat dr, and I agree. I can, for instance think of the foolish things I've done on a boat and I've learned from them. The ones I didn't learn from I did again--twice stupid. I'm also a Big Time believer in second chances we all need 'em.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 7:19pm
my dad ,you know dear old dad, the stupid one that did not know how to pour piss out of a boot,you know how much knowledge that man gained in those short years after he had grandkids was uncanny......he said;pain is inevitable but suffering is an option..........ignorence is not knowing,stupidity is thinking you know,and every one else is wrong.been there ,done that ,got the shrink receipts to prove it..............boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 8:05pm
boat doc, I like your logic,I think we're going to have to start calling you the boat psychiatrist
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 8:18pm
i love my job ,boats and motors are very calm at 8 o clock,i have laid on that couch hopfully for the last time,have to realize that i have no power,that a power greater than me can and will restore me to sanity,i am just a hole in a do-nut............ boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic