Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooked my Raw water pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooked my Raw water pump
    Posted: August-27-2018 at 4:15am
So despite what I’ve read here, I tried to take precautions, but nevertheless I cooked the impeller in my raw water pump.

The pump hadn’t turned in 2 years so before I used it to draw water, I put a hose to it to prime the pump, or at least get it wet. I then put the boat in the water and watched the temp climb to 200*. I took the pump apart and there were bits of rubber in the hoses and probably my engine. I spent some time flushing the engine after it cooled down and got more bits out of the pump.

What’s the proper procedure for starting an engine so as not to cook the pump after it’s been in storage?

Thanks
Don
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2018 at 4:28am
The rubber ages using it every day or sitting in your garage. Time ruins these impellers.
Not sure you can do anything other than replace it.
I run mine 2 years and replace it before the third season every time to avoid impeller failures.   How old was yours before it was parked for 2 years?
It is hot in California and heat ages rubber.   We will not get as much life out of ours as someone in Seattle or Montana.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2018 at 4:55am
Ok. Thanks. That makes sense. It hasn’t been run in 2 years, and the impeller hasn’t been replaced in the 7-8 years that I’ve owned it. Although it hasn’t see a lot of hours in that time. I realized later I should carry a back up.

Has anybody installed a strainer after the Raw WP? I’m not liking the idea of those it’s of rubber circulating inside the engine
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2018 at 1:06pm
Unfortunately the rubber chunks normally plug things up so it is a good idea to get them out. The hoses feeding the exhaust manifolds usually pick up some pieces and thermostat housing can hold a few.   Keep track of what you dig out so you know when you have them all located.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic