Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holly Electric choke

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holly Electric choke
    Posted: September-02-2018 at 10:24am
Can the temperature of the surrounding "air" affect the operation of the electric choke on these Holly carbs? On My last few trips to the lake the engine has been relatively hard to start, when earlier in the season, (cooler days) the engine was much easier to cold start.
I live in Texas and the heat of August is 85-95 degrees during the afternoon.
I had help trough the forum on my Hot start, seems my fuel pump was failing and pouring gas into the top of my Carb. Fuel pump replaced and warm starts are very easy.

Thanks for the help, Gregg
TWSS
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 12:16pm
Is the choke closing on cold starts?
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 3:23pm
Earlier this summer It was closing. Single crank and BOOM, she was running.
TWSS
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 6:45pm
I disabled the choke on my carb. Instead, I give the 3 strong pumps on the throttle so that the accelerator pump dumps fuel into the carb throat. That makes the air/fuel mixture rich enough to where I don't need the choke.

Since I don't operate the boat in cold temperatures, this method works well.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 1:10pm
For a second there I thought Robin was speaking to Batman!
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 2:35pm
So no the electric choke is not functioning at all. It is getting power when the ignition switch is on. Would you guys suggest trying to replace the electric choke, Or just go ahead and get a new Holly carb. It's the original (25 yo) and the PO had it rebuilt at least once before.
Really don't know much of this boats past history, but abuse and neglect definitely come to mind.
Gregg
TWSS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 2:49pm
Gregg,
If the engine is running good with the exception of cold starts, I see no reason for a new carb. Before you go after the choke by replacing the bimetallic choke spring, how are you attempting a cold start? Do you pump the throttle before cranking so the accelerator pump squirts some fuel down into the engine? Many do use the method and many even use the method after disconnecting/disabling their choke.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 2:54pm
Gregg,
You mention the choke is getting power but where did you put the VOM negative probe? I ask since maybe the choke has a bad ground? Did you Ohm the choke coil to check for continuity?

If you find it bad and opt for a new coil, here's what you need.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 6:21pm
Yes this is how I am starting the boat now. Just wish it started as easily as it did earlier in the season. This is the first season I've had this project (er I mean boat...yeah that's it...a boat....
or the hole in the water you pour money in.)
TWSS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 8:27pm
One way to see if the element is good is to unhook the 2 wires and check the resistance of the choke.with an ohm meter

It should be around 8 to 13 ohms

An open circuit with an infinity reading means the element is shot.

Zero resistance means it's shorted internally and no good either.

You could also remove the housing (2 wires and 3 screws and while looking at the coiled spring, supply 12 volts to it and watch the coil start unwinding in the Counterclockwise direction and the element will get warm to the touch In 30 seconds to a minute you'll see plenty of movement. Make sure you have the positive from the battery hooked to the positive terminal on the choke and the same for the negative battery to negative on the choke.

Here's a picture of the heating element (spring) inside the black housing

You'll have half of the people on CCF tell you that you don't need the choke and the other half tell you it needs to be functioning perfectly for the engine to start.

I'll stay out of that argument
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 12:49pm
Gregg...mine is pretty much the same way, and everything functions as it should. I can pull my 93 SN out of winter storage, hook up the hose, and turn the key and it starts right up, with no movement of the throttle. As summer goes on. and I put it on the water, Many times, I pull the neutral button out, put the throttle back into a bit of a higher idle setting, and then crank it a couple of times to get it started. Not sure why, but that's my method, and it seems to work fine. Once the engine starts, I return the throttle to "up" position, and sit there and idle until the engine warms up.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 10:21am
Just ordered one from the site.

Thanks
TWSS
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 2:11pm
Hope that's the fix, at least a new coil can't hurt if it's 25 years old.

I'm wondering if it's starting easier in the cooler whether, because the the choke is at the right balance in the early season.

Later in the season, when it's warmer, you might actually be over-choked a little bit and the extra throttle is helping to just get more air in there to balance out.
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 8:24pm
Installed a new choke and tested it today. Worked perfectly! Guess those engineers at Holly knew what they were doing.
Just to let others know..... I'm a "choke guy"
TWSS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 9:14pm
Gregg,
Happy to hear you got it fixed and it works great. Yes, I too feel there's a reason they put a choke on their carbs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic