NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 12:29pm
Dave,
To confirm, before you clean up the contacts, disconnect the negative wire to the coil, rotate the engine so they are closed and get an Ohm reading across the contacts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 12:23pm
Thanks gentlemen. I will be back at the boat in a few hours and will report back after cleaning up the points a bit, I don't have a file but some fine sandpaper will do. I have to say, I was fairly fixated on it being a wiring issue, then a bad coil, that once I saw the points were opening and all looked clean it didn't occur to me to clean them up. Good thing I have you guys to do some thinking for me! Fingers crossed ......
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 11:21am
Sandpaper and point files are great to see if you can get it running but once you do plan on replacing them. Modern point sets are plated and if being used are most likely pitted anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 9:53am
Dave,
I still have one of these. I'll bet Ken has several.

Note that some abrasive paper works too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 8:05am
Hi Dave

Your voltage readings are saying that the points are open.

Don't know if the 12 volts negative to ground was with the engine rotating or sitting still.

If it was sitting still, it just means the points are open

If it was rotating and the points were opening and closing, you should see a repeating fluctuation from your 12 down to 0 and back to 12 as they open and close.

They may look good and have a little corrosion preventing them from closing "electrically"

Your dwell meter will tell you if they're electrically opening and closing

Running a little piece of sandpaper between the points may do wonders
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 1:02am
I should add the distributor innards look perfectly clean, points opening properly though I didn't put my dwell meter on it yet.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 12:44am
Well just a day after I posted on another thread that my boats were running well, I have a problem. My '63 has no spark, Buick V6 Sabre, all original. I thought I had narrowed it to a bad coil, but took it off the boat and with a meter the primary and secondary coils ohm out as good. On the boat I have 12 v when I go from negative and positive sides of the coil to ground, but I'm getting no spark from coil high voltage side to ground nor at distributor or spark plugs.

This is the first time the boat has been run in quite a while, but it was put away in running order.

Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic