NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I guess Zach will have to explain how they were conducting thru the center post/pivot point

Yes Zach, tell us more. Is the insulating pivot point bushing worn through? Can't tell from the picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 9:53am
No clue but that is what I was assuming. He was getting continuity on both sides of the points while they were open. That's about the only way it could be jumping across. I had him disconnect the condenser from the points plate to take a ground via that out of the equation.

(I was diagnosing by phone)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 12:50pm
Plenty of parts in close proximity where the 2 sides of the points could be touching (besides the pivot). Either way, if the 2 sides aren’t isolated then they’re junk.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 12:53pm
RUNS GREAT
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 1:37pm
I was the first test pull after the fix, yup, runs great.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 2:11pm
So............let's see, if you have points, you should carry a spare set and a condenser too since you never know what might happen with these hi tech mechanical things

Imagine that

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 2:23pm
Should you carry 2 sets? what if one is bad out of the box?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 3:11pm
I was going to happily buy an extra but I got the only set within 20mi of Badin Lake. Will have to find another set or two
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 3:45pm
Point is, points be easy.

"My boat was running rough so I did an electronic conversion. Still runs rough. "
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 5:44pm
Mine is running well too. No spare points on hand!

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 6:23pm
Spare race gas.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 6:36pm

So............let's see, if you have points, you should carry a spare set and a condenser too since you never know what might happen with these hi tech mechanical things

Imagine that

I guess now after the 40 odd years I've been running points in the X55 and the Atom, I need to make a trip to the auto supply!! Thankfully I have that EI conversion thing in the Tique. That will never give out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Spare race gas.

No, I carry jet fuel.

I did feel a little silly posting the video with the gas container in the back, not to mention my foolish face in all of it, but I was alone with nobody to video for me. I was burning off as much gas as I could so carried the can in case I ran out.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 11:42pm
I'm kinda curious what your ohm reading was when the points were open Dave.

Was it zero or maybe some higher number like 15 or 20 ohms for example but nowhere near infinity?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 11:51pm
Did not test that.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 11:55pm

No clue but that is what I was assuming. He was getting continuity on both sides of the points while they were open. That's about the only way it could be jumping across. I had him disconnect the condenser from the points plate to take a ground via that out of the equation.

What Zach said above is what I was wondering about
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 11:51am

Did you have Dave disconnect the distributor wire from negative side of the coil like Pete mentioned when checking the points resistance?

If you don't do this, your troubleshooting is gonna give you some funny readings with the points open. They won't be infinity like you'd expect and they'll show around 15 ohms depending on the coil..

And then you'll think funny things like they're conducting across the center post.

Now if you disconnect the coil negative and do the same thing you'll get accurate results

For anybody that doesn't believe this, then give it a try on your points system before saying something like "that can't be"

I learned that from a book called "Pete's pointers on perfecting the performance of your prehistoric but still pretty dependable points system"

And verified it with some real world testing on a good running points system this morning

Now I gotta go visit the shrink because I'm agreeing with Pete again
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 2:35pm
Yes, first thing to do when checking points is disconnect negative and check for voltage changes while cranking.

The points were bad and conducting on the non grounded side. New points = runny good.

I didn't have him check an Ohm reading with points open. He was just showing voltage on both sides so that's all you really need to know.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:04pm

Yes, first thing to do when checking points is disconnect negative and check for voltage changes while cranking.

The points were bad and conducting on the non grounded side. New points = runny good.

I didn't have him check an Ohm reading with points open. He was just showing voltage on both sides so that's all you really need to know.

Maybe something is getting lost in the translation here trying to talk via posts nbut if you're checking the coil negative with the black wire off off it, you'll see no voltage change while cranking

And if you're checking the black wire while it's disconnected and you're cranking you'll see no volts at all.

Go try it I just did

Not saying his points were good, just not agreeing with your troubleshoot but that OK.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:09pm
Yes you will,

You connect your VOM or test light to a positive and let the points do their job grounding that circuit out. (connect negative end to points wire) You'll see voltage fluctuation on your VOM and you will see your test light flashing as the points open and close while cranking the engine.

Maybe you've never tested points using a positive supply? I have tested numbers and numbers of points systems this way.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:49pm
It's all in the explanation and yours is hard to follow cause it's not well spelled out and it's changed on the fly.

Let's leave it at I know what I'm doing and you know what you're doing

And remember before I write this stuff, I go try it to verify the results.

And Dave's points/condenser were worn out and needed to be changed
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:54pm

results

I learned that from a book called "Pete's pointers on perfecting the performance of your prehistoric but still pretty dependable points system"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:58pm
Ha, I guess I just assumed everyone tests with that method.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 4:04pm
Well like I said in another post a little while back "like most things in life, there's usually more than one way to do the job"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 4:26pm
One of us probably needs to post up a nice guide to trouble shooting and keeping a points system working properly,
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 10:19pm

One of us probably needs to post up a nice guide to trouble shooting and keeping a points system working properly,

We'll call that a definite maybe for right now.

I'll PM ya' in a week or so about it.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2018 at 6:24pm
Tried to start the tique to winterize and nothing. Cranked and cranked. Have fuel no spark. Again. Points were fried. So decided to put on a new coil/resistor. Also new points. Ready to fire and what happened...turned it over and got a click. Damnit. Traced it around and the solenoid was shot. A new one of those and boom we are back in business. Winterizing and oil change tomorrow. Hoping the resistor was shot.

A question or two: what does the voltage regulator do and why isn’t it on the wiring diagram that is so often referenced.

Our red wire from the voltage resistor goes straight to the solenoid. Is that correct. It isn’t that way on our skier. We are looking at that and wondering if that defeats the purpose of the breaker we put on?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2018 at 7:49pm
You're probably looking at the TRB typical mid 80's diagram. It doesn't show a voltage regulator because it's internal to the alternator

You should be looking at this diagram for a closer representation of what you have on your 78 Commander which would be an alternator and a separate voltage regulator

The regulator should maintain the system voltage at roughly 14 volts plus or minus a little whether it's internal or external.

Your original thread shows the external regulator on the back of the engine.

Since you have a Commander no diagram seems to be around for that engine but the old PCM one above is fairly close. The wire colors for the voltage regulator might be different

It sounds like the new points a while back were just a band aid for some other problem.

What do you have for a ballast resistor/resistor wire.

999,999and 1/2 times out of a million a ballast resistor or wire fails and gives an open circuit and no voltage to the coil and therefore no spark. They don't fail in the low resistance direction and act like a solid piece of wire

If your points got fried in a short period of time it sounds like high voltage/current to the coil and points from a bypassed resistor or no resistor

How about a picture of the resistor showing the wiring to and from it

In your last paragraph do you mean "red wire from the voltage regulator" ?

Maybe a hand drawn picture of the wiring and the breaker you installed would be good to show what you're talking about
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2018 at 9:47pm
Will get some pics up when back at home w computer. Yes I was talking about the red wire from the voltage regulator.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2018 at 9:55am
If it's a 12 gauge or so wire running like the purple wire coming from the regulator in the PCM diagram above, it's telling the regulator what the system voltage is

It could be hooked to the ballast resistor inlet like in the diagram or it could be hooked to the battery side of the solenoid, either place will work
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic