Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Junk or restore?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junk or restore?
    Posted: September-06-2018 at 5:45pm
Found a "74 Southwind on consignment at a marina ~6 hrs. away. Owner is asking $1995. Info. is sketchy. Here's what I know: Freshwater boat with 351 (?) winterized engine needing manifolds and risers, water pump, probably stringers (soft spot forward of the engine), unknown engine hours (per marina). Interior "OK", possibly a "few" hull blisters. Dual axle trailer needs tires, brakes questionable. Condition of gages and other "stuff" unknown. I've restored other boats (older CC, Penn Yan), but with what little I know I don't know if it's worth the trip. Obviously I need a LOT more info. Sound like a paper weight? Assuming the CC gods smile on me, what could this thing possibly be worth when I'm done?TNX in advance for your responses.
austinbenincasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 6:01pm
I would say the price is really high. Looking at boats for sale in the 'For Sale' section, top dollar asking is around 6-8k in good condition average asking is 3k

Here is one that was for sale a couple years back that sounded like it was in pretty good running condition..they were asking $2,400

1974 Southwind

As to whether or not the boat is junk comes down to what the boat is worth to you. Do you want to have the boat for a long time? Or are you looking to flip the boat? I would say it all comes down to how bad the haul is blistered.

Others might chime in a give their advice on the matter.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 6:28pm
You be upside down even if you got the boat for free.

There is a reason for scrapyards.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 10:42am
TNX for your comment. I'd be able to inspect the boat if it were closer. I've decided to pass. BTW---it's at "The Navigation Company" in Conneaut Lake, PA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic