NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main seal change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main seal change
    Posted: September-06-2018 at 6:18pm
Hi all,

I've had an oil leak for a while. Now finally had the boat out of the water for a while, meaning a dry bilge.
Found some oil drip: see pic.

Looks like I'll be ordering a new rear main seal. Before I do that, is there anything else I should check that could cause leaking oil in this spot?

To change that seal, the engine will need to pulled, right? Any tips? Anything else that should be changed/checked when the engine is out anyway? Any other info?

Thanks!

Boat is '97 NSS.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 9:39pm
What engine do you have?
What transmission, 1.23 or 1:1   it makes a difference on your seal.

Some are reverse rotation and hard to find, some are standard rotation and available at any parts store.

Let us know.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 10:06pm
He has a GT40 Mark which are all lefty's but to confuse things it should have a PCM 1:1 . The V Drive will change the rotation of the prop to a righty. I do not envy him in the job he has !
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 10:21pm
Hi!
Yes GT40, and not even sure what trans. I read somewhere that SS's have 1:1.
I emailed skidim to be sure I get the right seal.
I'm NOT looking forward to this project, but it's time something's done about it, glad I finally could confirm where the leak is.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 11:49pm
If this is Standard Rotation and a 1997 it should be running the Full Round Rear Main Seal.
The Full Round Rear mains in Standard Rotation can be replaced with a Teflon Seal made by National but sold as a National Part or as a Fel Pro part.   The Teflon seals are bullet proof. They can last 1,000,000 miles, no joke. They are also more forgiving and can seal over an existing groove in a high mile engine.
I know they are available for the 5.0L late model blocks and I believe they are available for the 351W blocks.   5.7L GM and 454 GM late models are covered.
These are unique. They install clean and dry, no lube at all on the seal face. A plastic install tool comes with every seal. You slip the plastic over the crank and press the seal up and over the plastic till it is in place.   This keeps the crank from damaging the Teflon which can scratch easy.   Once installed they are bullet proof.
They are about double the cost of a Standard rear main seal but worth every penny in my mind. These will not work with a Reverse Rotation engine.

Teflon Rear Main Seal Fel-Pro # BS40645 Says it fits 1991-1998

BS40592 is the standard factory type rear main seal from Fel-Pro.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 11:12am
Don't think its been answered yet..

no, wont have to pull the engine

Tap some smartly cut 2x4 under the rear of the exhaust manifolds and remove the starter, transmission and flywheel

transmission is only about 100# and the fords are supported center of block so the weights involved here are minimal

with determination you can do this in a full afternoon

whoops, nevermind, v-drive....my err
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 2:18pm
Haha oh noo what a bummer! Got me excited there for a bit! :p
Thanks either way.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 3:07pm
Msg from Skidim:
"The seal is Item #1140 and they cost $64.90 plus shipping. There are no gaskets between the bellhousing and transmission so that is all you should need. "

Gonna look into the Teflon version too.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 4:56pm
Keep in mind that Ski Dim does not manuafacture the seals.

Fel-Pro does.   The Fel-Pro will not work unless your engine is Standard Rotation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic