Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 Overheat or Sensor issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 Overheat or Sensor issue
    Posted: September-08-2018 at 8:53pm
Our 89 BFN 454 is running temperature between 190 - 200 in the lake. Thermostat installed is a 170 degree. (I have not pulled thermostat yet) I pulled the impeller and it looks great. Also checked all hoses for tightness. Removed the water strainer re- wrapped both input and output fittings with Teflon tape. Ran boat and let it get to 190 on gauge. I used a IR Thermostat and took several readings around the block. See below. Could I have a failing sensor or a true overheating problem.

150 - Thermostat Housing,    140-Intake,   140 - R Head front, 150 - L head front,
140 - R head rear, 145 - L head rear, 115 - intake, 150- Block front
130 - Block back.   155 - Block by sensor
Thanks.......Tom
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 9:40pm
With the readings you took, it says that your temperature gauge or sensor is reading high and you don't have an overheating problem..

If you put your hand on a 190 degree thermostat housing it will hurt/burn

Put it on a 150 degree housing and it'll feel pretty hot.

That'll help tell you if the IR gun seems to be giving true temperatures

You could also aim the gun at a pan of boiling water and see if it reads about 212 degrees to check it.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 10:06pm
Thanks......Would it help to install a 150 degree thermostat? Currently running a 170.
Thanks.......Tom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

Thanks......Would it help to install a 150 degree thermostat? Currently running a 170.

No
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

With the readings you took, it says that your temperature gauge or sensor is reading high and you don't have an overheating problem..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 6:03pm
Thanks Pete.......I could not find the required temperature for a 454 in the PCM manual. Does anyone know what is recommended by PCM?
Thanks.......Tom
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 8:16pm
The open cooling systems (lake Water) should have had a 140 thermostat factory.
The closed cooling systems ran higher temps. I was told Marine engines ran the cooler thermostats to reduce corrosion in the block.

The later fuel injected engines also ran higher temps, 160 mainly.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 11:57pm
Thanks Mark......My Thermostat is a 170 installed by previous owner. I pulled it today and did the hot/cool water test and thermostat worked great. Re-torqued all hose clamps and I did find a raw water pump input hose that was not tight! Will test it again tomorrow.
Thanks.......Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic