NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 W Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 W Distributor
    Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:01am
My Nautique, 351 W. Reverse rotation. I bought it years ago not running. Previous owner had a high dollar distributor in it. It was bad. So, I bought a $50 distributor at the local parts store, changed the bottom gear to the gear I removed from the old distributor. Boat ran for 1 year. Then no fire or very little.
It's a simple points and condenser firing system. Distributor was under warranty, So I changed it with another, and again swapped the drive gear. Now it ran for 2 years. Failed again. Cleaned points, checked gap, replaced condenser, still not enough spark. It had spark, but so dim you couldn't see it. But trust me, it was there. It bit me. LOL
So I changed the coil. Still no different. Hummmm
Screw it, grabbed another $50 distributor. BAM, fired right up. Ran for one hour. Ran great too. Then, down again.
Back to parts store, bought a $75 distributor. Dropped it in. Never missed a lick. Ran all weekend pulling skiers...

What do all you recommend?

Thanks

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:17am
After gapping the point set, have you been checking the dwell?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:32am
As Pete asked, maybe the points rubbing broke wore quickly & the gap changed. Or they burned from bad condensor or not having proper ballast resistor.

If it fails again, use a ohm meter to figure out where it has lost conductivity.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:43am
Going through ignition parts at that rate is unnatural. At some point it might make sense to see if there is a common cause to the failures. Are you installing high quality marine parts? How is the rest of the electrical system- is it supplying the ignition with a constant source of proper voltage or is the wiring/resistor/etc questionable?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:53am
Certainly there are no marine distributors available at 50 or 75 bucks so I would be wondering about what you are doing with the vacuum advance and whether you are close to a decent ignition curve, not to mention the whole safety issue with using automotive parts .   

Other than that using a points distributor usually requires the proper ballast resistor... and cheap points are junk
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Peacock Peacock wrote:

It's a simple points and condenser firing system.

That seems to be whipping your butt

Here's a diagram courtesy of TRB that works for your boat.

Numerous other people have mentioned the ballast resistor

Since the previous owner had a "high dollar" unnamed distributor in there, maybe it was an electronic one and he removed or bypassed the resistor and that's why your cheap non marine points distributor is winning.the battle

Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 1:14pm
Let me try and answer all the questions. LOL
Yes, I gap the points, and use a bastard file to clean them.
No, I have NOT checked Dwell. But I will
You are correct, it is not a marine distributor. It is an auto. Thats why I have to change the drive gear.
Alternator charging correctly and voltage is good. The wiring is all original and looks great. Only electrical issue it ever has is just like most all these older ones. Turn bow lights on and gauges go nuts. Wiring too small for lights.
The resistor could very well be the issue. However, when the last distributor that bit the dust, I jumped the resistor and it made zero difference.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 1:19pm
Define “voltage is good”. Numbers and specific locations where you measured would be helpful. If jumping the resistor made no difference then it sounds like it’s not resisting and may be part of your problem.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 2:24pm
You're probably familiar with the differences between a marine and an automotive distributor so that's your choice what you want to use

Sometime you may find yourself changing your undies after an unexpected big boom sends you airborne though

I'd check the resistance of the ballast resistor with nothing hooked to it. It should be about 1.2 to 1.3 ohms

A good number is Echlin ICR-23 from NAPA or you can cross reference it to a bunch of other brands. They cost less than 10 bucks.

Your points last a lot longer with a ballast resistor in the circuit.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 2:45pm

You are correct, it is not a marine distributor. It is an auto. .

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I would be wondering about what you are doing with the vacuum advance

I too am wondering about the vacuum advance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 10:08am
No vacuum is used.
We have hurricane on it's way here, I just went to the lake house and pulled the boat out. I ran it wide ass open from my dock to the ramp (few miles). It never missed a lick.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 10:31am
I guess you don't have any problems at all then

Stay safe in the storm and dig this thread back up next time you have the same problem

While you're hunkered down for the storm you could always read about marine distributors just for something to do
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:10am
So now I am curious. I'm no gearhead so there is a lot I dont understand, so I am just trying to learn.

If he has an auto distributor with a vacuum advance but is not using/not hooking up the vacuum, how is it advancing?

I also wonder if that wideass open run from the dock to the ramp fell within that 30 - 60 minute lifespan of his distributors. Again, just curious.

Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:22am
I pulled all weekend and never missed a lick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:23am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

If he has an auto distributor with a vacuum advance but is not using/not hooking up the vacuum, how is it advancing?

Larry,
With no vacuum, there's no advance or retard. I suspect the engine performance isn't the greatest.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:33am

I pulled all weekend and never missed a lick.

And......you ran it for a year on your first replacement ( that was from the first post in this thread.)

So keep on pulling

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry,
With no vacuum, there's no advance or retard. I suspect the engine performance isn't the greatest.

Larry

Pete might be a little retarded when it comes to vacuum advance

A distributor with a vacuum advance mechanism also has a mechanical advance mechanism just like the marine distributors.

It could be long and dragged out and fill pages of reading but the short version is that vacuum advance adds advance under low load high vacuum conditions like driving downhill, highway cruising etc to maximize efficiency and fuel economy.

If you could read your timing from the drivers seat of the car you might see around 50 degrees advance under these light load conditions and then when you punch it the vacuum falls off and the advance added by the vacuum falls off too.

Fuel injected stuff can do all this advance magic through the use of all those sensors feeding the ECM and the ECM makes the same adjustments that mechanical and vacuum advance could make together.

It wouldn't hurt to have it hooked up on a boat as far as advance goes but the hole in the distributor where the mechanism hooks up leaves a nice path for those explosive gases to find a spark and go Boom. With it disconnected you still have the mechanical advance function and the boat will run good just like with a mechanical advance distributor.

Like I said before there's a lot more to vacuum advance but here's a good basic article in the link

link
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:57am
I was wondering if a vacuum advance distributor still had weights and springs. Figured it must to work, but wasnt sure.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 11:59am

So now I am curious. I'm no gearhead so there is a lot I dont understand, so I am just trying to learn.

I also wonder if that wideass open run from the dock to the ramp fell within that 30 - 60 minute lifespan of his distributors. Again, just curious.

The distributor likely has both a vacuum and a mechanical advance - there is no reason to think the mechanical advance isn't working. However it may also be too much advance, too little advance, too slow or too fast of an initial advance, and too slow or two fast of a final advance for the application.

And in this relatively lightly loaded application none of that may make any difference at all to the guy driving it...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 1:02pm
If I had to guess it is too slow of an advance curve.

Secondly, I can likely say with almost 99% certainty that he was supplying points with 12+ volts from a worn out ballast resistor burning them and or the condenser up quickly.

Points really aren't a service item when they are of good quality and supplied with correct ignition voltage. I currently have north of 1100 hours on a set of points and condenser.

Lastly, please throw that automotive distributor into the trash and get something that has spark arresting capabilities that is USCG approved. Literally one of the only parts under the hood that makes lots and lots sparks and you have compromised its safety by using an automotive part.

You have bought what 3 auto distributors now? Your time + the cost of those ($250-300). Add 100-150 more and you could have a modern DUI (Marine rated) distributor with a fresh set of wires+ lots more safety and reliability.
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] [QUOTE=75 Tique]

It wouldn't hurt to have it hooked up on a boat as far as advance goes but the hole in the distributor where the mechanism hooks up leaves a nice path for those explosive gases to find a spark and go Boom. With it disconnected you still have the mechanical advance function and the boat will run good just like with a mechanical advance distributor.

Like I said before there's a lot more to vacuum advance but here's a good basic article in the link

link

The vacuum hole, where the hose would hook does have a stopper over it. LOL
I'm old, but not totally out there. Just like the blowers.
Turn them on BEFORE you start the engine. And not just before you start. Give them a few minutes. Recommendation is 10 minutes.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 1:52pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 2:01pm

I'm old, but not totally out there.   

I would question exactly where you are. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 2:35pm

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] [QUOTE=75 Tique]

link

The vacuum hole, where the hose would hook does have a stopper over it. LOL
I'm old, but not totally out there. Just like the blowers.
Turn them on BEFORE you start the engine. And not just before you start. Give them a few minutes. Recommendation is 10 minutes.

Wrong hole Peacock That's what she said

Look where the shaft from the advance mech goes thru the distributor body and you'll see the right hole. An unsealed opening between the inside of the distributor and the outside where the mechanism screws on to the body.

Like was mentioned before .........do it your way

The holes are not too far apart, you can easily get the wrong one

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 3:01pm
Is this in your future? How's your insurance? Is there a fire extinguisher on board? Maybe two would be better!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 3:03pm

Larry
Pete might be a little retarded when it comes to vacuum advance

Ken,
Thanks for bringing the retard up to speed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Peacock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 3:22pm
Wow... Tough room..   
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2018 at 3:52pm
Hi, I am having a similar problem with my 1989 2001 Ski. In July I used the boat a bunch and then as I was heading back home it started running badly. Wouldn't accelerate but would do ok at lower speed. I thought fuel was the issue but after remembering the coil issues I tried a new coil. Boat ran great, problem solved or so I thought. Then in October at the Badin get together skied a bunch all was good until my last day when after skiing, on my way home same issue started. I do not see a BR anywhere on the engine, the coil says use with a BR but since I have owned the boat there isn't a BR anywhere that I can see. My points don't looked burnt and the boat has been running fine until this year. I am going to do a tune up next time I get down to the boat and install a BR to see if it solves the issue. Is there a different type of resistor that might have been used in the 1989? I thought as I was searching for parts that I saw a wire that was listed as a BR but now can't find it.    
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2018 at 7:55pm
BR should be above the bell housing, next to the 50A breaker.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2018 at 8:26pm
If this is a PCM 351, the diagram from TRB earlier in this thread shows the ballast resistor and the wires that are hooked to it.

You could play "follow the purple wire"

You can work backwards from the coil (+) terminal and forward from the 8 plug connector and see where they meet. There will either be a ballast resistor or some way that somebody hooked the wires together without one.

Like Chris said on location, above the bellhousing and there was originally a plastic cover over the resistor and the solenoid with a hole in it for the red breaker button so stick out of.

If you need a resistor, an Echlin ICR23 from NAPA works well. It's a 1.3 ohm resistor and cost is less than 10 bucks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic