NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Florence

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 12:32pm
We are at the storm's landfall end. Most of the SC and NC landfall hurricanes stall when they hit the Blue Ridge. A few go over, but drop most of their tropical storm-ness rain here on the way over.

Over the past few days, we have had fash flooding ahead of the storm. The initial forecasts were for 20-24 inches of rain when the storm comes through.... but thankfully, it has been delayed and downgraded some. We are bracing for down trees and power lines due to the soft ground and flooding preceding the storm.

It is gonna be rough but at least we aren't where Jim Cantore is! Stay safe y'all!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What's your plan?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 11:47am
120 miles doesn't seem like much distance given the size of the storm. What's your plan?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 11:02am
Adding to what I started on the BadinFest thread, but not wanting to take that thread too far off course. Winds shouldnt be bad as far inland as Greg and I are, I'm about 120 miles inland, Greg a little more. But as we learned two years ago, its the flooding that can be the greater concern. This affects me on two fronts. 1 - I live on a small neighborhood, HOA controlled lake. We have 6 dams in our neighborhood. Didnt think much of it until Matthew resulted in spillway damage on another neighborhood lake about an hour from me. The spillway was undermined, but the dam wall was OK. But the state determined the dam was no longer secure and artificially breached the dam and drained the lake. You can understand what that did to property values. The site developer/dam owner is kind of absentee at this point and the "waterfront" owners have no recourse.

2 - I do environmental/engineering consulting. One of our biggest clients is Duke Energy. They have dozens of dams, some coal ash basin, some cooling pond, some major lakes. They are in super crazy readiness mode now. During same storm mentioned above, one of their cooling pond dams breached. Its about a 500 acre lake. The lake was small enough and the general area already flooded enough that there were no serious downstream impacts, but it certainly got Dukes attention. They have already issued us a significant work order for response actions related to Florence, should the need arise.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 10:46am
Been keeping an eye on this one for sure as it's gonna hit several of our Correct Craft Fans. Batten Down the Hatches Boys. Florence is pissed and she's coming for Charlotte. We all love a good Cat fight but I think Flo is gonna win this one. Be careful, and stay safe y'all and keep us updated.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 10:32am
We are seeing shortages of Gas, Beer, Bread and Milk. Thank goodness, I do not need bread and milk.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 8:24am
Thanks John

The company (private renewable energy firm) that I work for has already dispatched it's line crews, trucks, trailers and equipment from Denver, Texas and Kansas to support and recovery efforts-

You are on my "to visit" list
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 8:26pm
Open call to Carolina CCFers. This storm is no joke. If you see Jim Cantore, run for your life.

If anyone needs to GTF out you are welcome here. I have room for your boat and a fenced yard for dogs.
John
239-248-7460
I was given help when Irma landed on my doorstep and this bitch is just as bad.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic