Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RWF-1981 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KLG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RWF-1981 SN
    Posted: September-16-2018 at 4:47pm
Newbie here, and thanks for any help you all can provide. With the boat sitting in the lake, can I remove the lid on the raw water filter to clean out the basket? I thought this was fine, and that I had done it before. HOWEVER, yesterday I tried it and water came gushing into the boat.
thanks,
Keith
"I'm back in the game, baby!"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:25pm
I saw your post and picture on the other site- an 81 over there is ancient   
I'm no 81 expert but to me your strainer does not look oem . Maybe someone here can tell.
If there is no thru hull shutoff and the strainer is below the waterline then yes water will come in. My 69 has no strainer,my 95 does but it is the newer style and mounted higher up in the boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KLG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:35pm
Thanks, ha ha, maybe that's why nobody responded . I am taking on more water than in the past, which is why I was fiddling around with the filter in the first place. Taking on more water is the real issue.
Keith
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:41pm
Keith,
Welcome to CCfan and yes stick with us rather than that other site. Those members over there don't even know what a carburetor is.

Taking on water? Check the condition of your prop shaft packing, the rudder packing and the exhaust hose/connections. An easy method to locate the problem is to fill the bilge with water and see where it comes out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:51pm
Put on your glasses and read it again Pete. He is not looking for a source of water in his bilge, He opened up his water strainer and water came pouring into the bilge. He wanted to know if that was normal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Put on your glasses and read it again Pete. He is not looking for a source of water in his bilge, He opened up his water filter and water came pouring into the bilge. He wanted to know if that was normal.

Larry,I did read the following so now I'm confused!!

Originally posted by KLG KLG wrote:

. I am taking on more water than in the past, which is why I was fiddling around with the filter in the first place. Taking on more water is the real issue.
Keith

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:59pm
Now thinking about it and curious.

What year did CC start putting in these water strainers?

Did they use any kind before these.? Without knowing much about it, I tend to agree with Gary. Not a CC part. And yes (common sense would suggest) if mounted on stringers below water line, yup, water will gush out when opened.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 6:02pm
Hmmmm Fair response Pete, I interpreted that as he has opened the strainer before and not gotten so much water in. Maybe you are right.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 6:13pm
Larry,
If my memory serves me and that's a real big "if", I don't think CC was installing sea strainers on their boats until the mid 80's. Before then they were dealer or owner installed. I have none on any of my boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KLG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 6:19pm
You guys are awesome, thanks for the feedback. OK, so I foolishly took off the lid while sitting in the lake. Won't do that again, I can tell you; not much common sense here.

The strainer and other parts certainly may not be OEM; my boat was re-powered with a 350 Mag EFI and other parts may have been installed back in the day (2007 I am told).

So, right, the real problem is taking on more water as of late and I appreciate the ideas above on where the water may be coming from. My plan is to dry the boat out really well, put her back in the lake and watch for incoming water. Question: what is meant by "packing?"
Keith
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 6:30pm
Keith,
The packing is a rope type seal that's around the prop shat and the rudder shaft. The prop shaft packing and gland is an easy spot to find since it's just aft of the trans coupling. The rudder is harder since it's below the gas tank.

Do you know why the repower was done?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KLG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 7:38pm
Thank you! No, I don't have any info on the repower. Will let you know what I find out on the incoming water issue.
Keith
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 7:55pm
Keith,
The packing at the prop shaft should drip some since it's water lubricated. Depending on the type of rope packing used determines the allowable drips per minute. Report back as to what you find.

The rudder packing really doesn't have to drip at all since it's not a constant rotating shaft.

Don't rule out a leak in the exhaust hose or one of its connections..

Regarding the repower, what rotation prop is on the boat? Looking from the aft end of the boat, which way does it turn to push the boat forward?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 2:35pm
Hello Keith,
I have an '81 with original water strainer and mounting. it is mounted just aft of the starboard transmission mount, and is mounted rather high, to prevent just what you experienced.
It is a 'basket' type about 6" in diameter, 1" in/out hoses.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KLG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 11:13pm
Thanks, very interesting. Perhaps I will consider lifting mine up somewhat.

Keith
KLG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 10:54pm
Meant to follow up and let you all know that I found the source of water coming into the boat. The mercruiser has several "blue plugs" and one of them was leaking.
Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic