NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hit Rudder and it pulled through the hull

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hit Rudder and it pulled through the hull
    Posted: September-16-2018 at 10:26pm
I was out for a quick trip around our small lake yesterday with my wife and kids on our 94 SN and we hit a rock at about 25mph. It was a pretty good jolt and then water started coming up throug the floor. Luckily someone with a pontoon took my family into their boat and towed us as fast as they could to the boat launch. We managed to get it on the ramp before the engine submerged. When we got it on the trailer, I saw that the rudder had been hit but didn’t get damaged, but the rudder port pulled through the hull. I’ll try to get pics up, but is this normal? I would think they would design it so that the rudder snaps off rather than the boat sinking.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 10:58pm
Amazing that you just clipped rudder & not prop/shaft/strut.

I bet rudder is bent too, but it can be straightened.

Are you going to repair the fiberglass yourself?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 12:16am
I also took out the prop, but missed the strut. I’m considering doing the repair myself. Will definitely be a learning experience though.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 12:51am
Wow! Yes, lucky someone was close to help you out. That could have been much worse but glad everyone was safe in the end. Agree with Chris that with a jolt that hard it's likely that the rudder is bent, you may just not be able to see it. Unless you're very confident with fiberglass repair I'd suggest a professional given the stresses, location and as you've witnessed, the possible ramifications of another hull breach.

As far as normal? Both the prop and port are bronze against the relative strength of the fiberglass surrounding it. I'm not sure how weak they would have had to make its shaft to break first instead of the fiberglass, but my guess would be that could have a whole set of problems by itself.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 5:59am
Mike,
Glad everyone was OK. We'll be waiting on the pictures. Have you considered making an insurance claim?

Originally posted by Mikewolf Mikewolf wrote:

I would think they would design it so that the rudder snaps off rather than the boat sinking.

I feel this would be a major challenge for any engineer to "calculate" the point when the rudder breaks over the point where fiberglass breakage occures. You sure don't want the rudder to break off under normal conditions.

I also took out the prop, but missed the strut. I’m considering doing the repair myself. Will definitely be a learning experience though.

I highly recommend you check both the shaft and the strut for straightness. You'll know more after you can get a close look at it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 8:21am
Just thought I'd mention the prop shaft as something to check also
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 12:12pm
Helped repair a similar accident.

Obvious fiberglass work.

New prop and shaft.

Straigtened strut.

Reused rudder and port as is.
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 6:27pm
So I’ve started repairing the damage. I cut out the area around the rudder port. I’ve ground around the hole and I’m finding that the layers of fibreglass were never properly laminated together. At first I thought it was from the damage, but I’ve gone well into glass that wasn’t near the damage and it’s still delaminated. This is a boat that has only spent this summer in the water. It lived on a lift in a boathouse it’s whole life. I’m pretty sure this isn’t new as the layers are bone dry, just poorly done. Pretty disappointed since these are supposed to be such a high quality boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
We'll be waiting on the pictures. Have you considered making an insurance claim? .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 11:43am
I suspect if he can fix it, he'll be ahead

Insurance likely just up his rates and get their money back 2x
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 2:48pm
I disagree. Hit a stump when the lake was down, sheared the rudder off clean as a whistle. Drifted back over stump, pulled the rudder off and mounted it on the "Wall of Shame". Had to get a new rudder, turns out only one dealer has one and it was 350 miles away. Paid $500 plus labor ($300) and skied the following weekend. Boats aren't cheap to operate. This happened in 2006 BTW.
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 5:10pm
I’m Not going to bother with insurance. I’m fixing it myself. I am also going to make a new rudder that will break away when I hit the next rock. There’s a lot of unmarked rocks in our lake.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 6:47pm

I am also going to make a new rudder that will break away when I hit the next rock

You'll shoot your eye out Kid, you'd be better off adding more floatation, or couple big bilge pumps if you were really worried about it. Any rudder than can snap off during a rock hit without causing other damage can likely snap off during a panic turn possibly causing bad things man...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:10pm
Rudder is the last thing I want purposely falling off
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:17pm
Boat wise anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:28pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:44pm
Mike,
Maybe it would be a good idea to read some of the responses in this thread?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,

I would think they would design it so that the rudder snaps off rather than the boat sinking.

I feel this would be a major challenge for any engineer to "calculate" the point when the rudder breaks over the point where fiberglass breakage occures. You sure don't want the rudder to break off under normal conditions.

So, you're not bothering with insurance on the repair but how's your liability coverage?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 8:13pm
Mike - maybe just add extra strength to the hull around rudder port & use std rudder.

I know all about hitting rocks from boating on the Mississippi during low flow periods, so can relate there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 8:47pm
I do plan to reinforce the fibreglass and make it much stronger than original. I’ll sleep on my plan for a new rudder.

And yes I definitely have liability insurance coverage. I’m hoping to avoid any claims at all.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 11:44pm
How far did the delamination go ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 9:24am
There are spots where the layers of glass must have been wrinkled and left air pockets everywhere. Even 10” from where the damage was. There is now way these are as a result of the rudder hit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic