NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1982 SN 2001 Stuck on the water!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mattradintz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 SN 2001 Stuck on the water!
    Posted: September-17-2018 at 2:40pm
Looking for some assistance. Have a new to me 1982 Ski Nautique 2001. Second time on the water on Saturday, ran great for an hour, pulling tube and wakeboard, then killed taking off and wouldn’t restart . Let it sit for a few minutes and fired back up. This happened the first time we took it out too. Since I purchased, my mechanic has cleaned up connections and charged the battery, rebuilt alternator, replaced ignition coil with Sierra 18-5433, checked the water-impeller and run on the hose to determine carb internal condition, rebuilt the carburetor, went back to a points distributor vs electronic that had failed. Thoughts? Seems to me the coil might be overheating....do I need a different type of coil for the points. I might be completely off on my logic though, I am no mechanic! Thanks in advance!!!
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 6:07pm
Certainly no expert here, but helped a buddy with these symptoms, and found:

Yes, the coil is "points" specific, needing the correct ohm readout. And be sure it can be safely mounted horizontally, if yours is.
Also, points ignition relies on the ballast resistor, which is often omitted or bypassed with electronic ignition like Pertronix
And, the contacts on back of ignition switch may be loose/dirty.
Hope that helps
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 6:16pm
Matt,
Define "wouldn't start" IE: the engine wouldn't crank/turn over or wouldn't fire/run. I ask since you mentioned the battery, cable connections and the alternator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 9:26pm
The engine would crank but wouldn’t fire.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 11:12am
Matt,
When the boat dies, are you getting power to the coil?

That guy you have working on the problem sure has been throwing the parts at it and in all directions!! Maybe a second opinion would help?

Where in Wi. are you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 11:57am
Here's a wiring diagram that should be accurate for your 82.

Your Sierra coil should work just fine with points as long as you have a ballast resistor in the wiring to the coil. That's if the resistor is good It should have a resistance of about 1.2 to 1.3 ohms.

If you don't have a resistor because it was removed when there was an electronic distributor installed you can get one at any NAPA. It's an Echlin ICR-23 and costs under 10 bucks.

Coils can get hot normally and work just fine.

Have you checked to see if you still have spark when it's not starting?

And..................about the time you're convinced it's an ignition problem, it just might turn out to be fuel related

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
When the boat dies, are you getting power to the coil?

That guy you have working on the problem sure has been throwing the parts at it and in all directions!! Maybe a second opinion would help?

Where in Wi. are you?

To the mechanics defense, the issue happened after the parts were replaced. I bought the boat in August and it was not in running condition. He is a marine mechanics with 30 years experience too. Always been good to me before,

Western Wisconsin, about 45 minutes straight east of Minneapolis/St. Paul MN.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a wiring diagram that should be accurate for your 82.

Your Sierra coil should work just fine with points as long as you have a ballast resistor in the wiring to the coil. That's if the resistor is good It should have a resistance of about 1.2 to 1.3 ohms.

If you don't have a resistor because it was removed when there was an electronic distributor installed you can get one at any NAPA. It's an Echlin ICR-23 and costs under 10 bucks.

Coils can get hot normally and work just fine.

Have you checked to see if you still have spark when it's not starting?

And..................about the time you're convinced it's an ignition problem, it just might turn out to be fuel related

It does have a ballast resistor wired in. I haven't check for spark when it wasn't starting. Hopefully, I can track down the problem. Seems to be a pretty common one.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 1:05pm
Matt,
Double check the ballast resister is wired in correctly after the EI conversion was removed.

45 east of Minneapolis/St. Paul puts you at Menomonie. I spent my first year of collage at Stout. Hated the place!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 1:18pm
Haha! Little town, Glenwood City, WI.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 1:51pm
Resistance is between 1.1 and 1.4 ohms.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 2:11pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by mattradintz mattradintz wrote:

Resistance is between 1.1 and 1.4 ohms.

Have you checked the volts going to the coil. It should be around 9.

How's the condition of the points? Closed you should get a near zero Ohm reading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 2:37pm
When I check the voltage going to the coil with the ignition on but not running. I only get 5.63 volts. Points are brand new.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 2:57pm

When I check the voltage going to the coil with the ignition on but not running. I only get 5.63 volts. Points are brand new.

The 5.6 sounds like the points are closed so you will get a lower reading plus there's a load from the electric choke..

New points out of the box still may need some cleaning of the contact faces and the reason I suggesting getting an Ohm reading across them. If you don't get that near zero Ohm reading, run some fine abrasive paper like 1000 grit through the points when they are in the closed position. Alignment of the contact faces is also important. Did you install a new condenser at the same time?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 3:02pm
Thoughts on converting to EI?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 3:04pm
I am no mechanic and want the least maintenance and highest reliability. I hear I can convert for like 150.00
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 3:29pm
Convert to a running engine first
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 3:38pm
Hollywood, it runs fine for an hour under load, then struggles. Just hoping the conversion might be the fix.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 3:51pm

I am no mechanic and want the least maintenance and highest reliability. I hear I can convert for like 150.00

I've gone many years without touching point set or even looking at them. Others have too:
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Points really aren't a service item when they are of good quality and supplied with correct ignition voltage. I currently have north of 1100 hours on a set of points and condenser.

There are millions of hours out there on point sets and not as many on EI conversions. They have been know to fail. Yours did!!! Your mechanic went back to points!!

Yes, find the problem first. I don't feel dropping in a conversion is going to solve it.

Just as Ken always likes to say, you think it's ignition related and it turns out to be fuel. You mention it will run for some time and then quit. Take a look at the anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattradintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 5:02pm
Sounds good! There are so many mixed reviews out there about points vs electronic systems, just didn't know.Thanks again!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Convert to a running engine first

I got a chuckle out of that.

I'm a long time points ignition owner, know how to install and adjust them. Still, I had a no start a few weeks ago and had to ask for advice here, a few good suggestions and I was running again. Points are easy to diagnose and once you've done it, easy to set up and adjust.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic