Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1994 Hydrodyne stringer job

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1994 Hydrodyne stringer job
    Posted: September-19-2018 at 12:03pm
So i think this winter i have to replace the stringers in my 94 hydrodyne grandsport. i have a garage to do it in with the ability to use a lift the stringers are soft, if you tap them, i also drilled into them, and it was mush. it took a few seconds to drill through the fiberglass, then i pretty much fell though the wood. i want to start a thread to get me going, and because i will have a bunch of questions over the winter.

i am nervous to take on such a big project but confident you guys will get me through this. one big challenge is that it is open bow. so i think im going to have to take off the top deck. i have done a bit of research here on the process but i will still have some questions.

one question i have is i have found that the hull is apparently super strong.   the hull is baltek so i guess i can drive a loader over it and it wont break, hopefully this means i wont have to worry too much about supporting the hull other than the trailer with the top deck off. (i still will be adding supports to the 4 corners) what do you guys think this baltek means? are the stringers also baltek? also the engine cradle is through bolted, should i though bolt it as well? or lag it like most of you have done?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 1:09pm
I tried to find Andy's (Okie Boarder's) original thread on how he had to split his Supra to do his stringer job but couldnt find it. I did find this reference to it though that has a couple pictures. Not sure how different the Supra with inside walls throughout is different than your open bow, but if he could get this split, I'm sure you can get yours. Good luck with it. Keep us posted.

Andy's split
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 2:33pm
Pull out the rub rail elastomer while the sun is still on it

after that, when ready get drilling! first the rail, then the rivets underneath

If working outside, a plastic masonry tub by your feet is good to keep the shavings in control and not make a 100 yr hazard for bare feet
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 3:06pm
Not sure how Hydrodyne construction is but the rubrail looks similar to American Skier. Under rubrail elastomer is about 100 screws holding the rubrail to the deck as well as the deck to the hull.
Follow Gottaski recommendation if Hydrodyne used rivets as he states instead of screws.

Once all rivets or screws are out the deck is probably a shoebox fit over the edge of the hull. May need to run a utility knife under the seam if there is a sealant used to seal it. Once that's done the deck just lifts off pretty easy. Just make sure to disconnect all wiring, steering cables, throttle/shift cables, gas tank, vent hose, speakers, etc. before you can remove the deck. You should be able to set it on a few sawhorses. I had mine sitting that way in my garage for months without an issue.

Removing the deck is definitely the right way to do it in my opinion. Thats how I did mine. Remove one stringer at a time and replace it before moving to the next one. The hull will be pretty flimsy after you remove the deck. If you remove all stringers you definitely have to do some bracing beforehand.

Throughbolting the cradle is how American Skier does it too. Its much better than lag bolting IMHO. Do it the same way.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 6:08pm
Yes, lets hope there are screws!

Beware every meat head friend that visits your shop will want to walk over and lift up the deck before asking for authorization, to see how heavy it is

So if you have it supported under the bow and they lift the stern, they try to rip the bow off the deck as you hear the glass cracking then then slam it down and say whoops

ask me how I know...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2018 at 9:56am
Thanks guys! hopefully they are screws!

does anyone know anything about the baltek? are the stringers baltek? or just the hull?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2018 at 10:21am
Cameron,
Sorry I can't directly answer if the stringers have a Balsa core but I have a suggestion. You said you drilled into a stringer and it was soft inside. and this could mean rot or Balsa. Drill again but use a hole saw to just remove the glass. Then you will be able to get a good look at the core. Drill in a few spots to check for water too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 12:13pm
So after a few very busy months I am tearing into it. I have the engine ready to be pulled today or tomorrow with a come-along hung from a tree, then the gas tank and the top deck. looks like it will be pretty straight forward if i remember to disassemble the lift ring and bow eye assembly.

My question is what measurements exactly, should I be taking before I pull the engine cradle? distance from transom?
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 12:10pm
So i cant believe this happened but long story short, a broke come-along, resulted in my engine falling from about 3 feet to the ground. It landed pretty square on the oil pan which i think cushioned most of the fall, then it rolled over onto its port side. we some how got it back up and onto the engine stand.

I couldn't believe it. what should i look for? i think the oil pan is still okay, if i can take it off and bang it back into shape, because the only oil we lost even after it sitting all night was a little bit out the dipstick hole.

I want to replace the port exhaust manifold anyway,

zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 2:02pm
Wow. Glad no one got hurt. Pull the oil pan. I'd replace the oil pump since you'll already have it open and the landing impact may have cracked the oil pump pickup. I'd also just replace the oil pan - they're not too expensive and you don't want it leaking if it's knocked out of square.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

I'd also just replace the oil pan - they're not too expensive .

Cameron,
I don't see any mention as to what engine you have and I'm not that familiar with what Hydrodyne used so be aware that some oil pans are hard to find and get.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 6:02pm
Sorry to hear of the mishap.

Was it a Harbor freight come-along? I have one of those, maybe I should replace it before i get hurt.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 6:24pm
Its a PCM 351 pro boss
the prices for a new oil pan on skidim seem steep? is there a better place to find a new one?

No it was not harbor freight.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 6:30pm
i also dont see any oil pumps on skidim?
would it just be a standard 351 oil pump?
and i would probably want standard volume?
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 6:39pm
I pulled the cap and replaced the stringers on a 84 Supra Comp. Let me know if you need advice on separating the hull. mike hunter 678-227-8833
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

i also dont see any oil pumps on skidim?
would it just be a standard 351 oil pump?
and i would probably want standard volume?

Its a PCM 351 pro boss
the prices for a new oil pan on skidim seem steep? is there a better place to find a new one?

No it was not harbor freight.

Depending on how much clearance you have under the engine you might be able to use a pan from a Ford truck .

i think your engine is mounted at an angle with a PCM 1 to 1 ratio transmission and you'd probably have clearance.

Only one way to find out   

A standard 351 oil pump is just fine especially since a high volume pump won't allow a standard PCM pan to bolt to the block because of the extra depth of the pump housing. as compared to the standard pump. That's a Melling high volume pump that won't fit maybe some other brand would but it's not needed.

The standard truck pan would have the same problem with the oil pump depth.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 8:36am
Here's a link to an oil pan discussion. The aftermarket pan is a Spectra FP-7B

link
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 10:30am
Jody at Florida Inboards in Panama City will likely have a used oil pan. He got hit hard in the summer hurricanes. It first looked as if he was going to be out of business, but now it seems he has moved to a new location. His last place was leveled. Look him up on facebook.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 11:11am
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill have a few months to figure it all out.

Back to the stringers.. for now, after taking out the engine it is very clear that the stringers are full of rot,

hopefully be pulling the cap this weekend,

what measurements should i be taking before pulling the engine cradle?

Thanks again!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 12:21pm

what measurements should i be taking before pulling the engine cradle?

Cameron,
The mounting height of the cradle and the fore to aft placement are the critical dimensions. The best reference point for the fore to aft is the log.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 2:49pm
Since it's on an angle, it might be worth it to make a wood jig that you can drop back in to give confidence during the rebuild.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 3:59pm
When lifting things, its important to do it safely and with the proper equipment....or whatever.....

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 4:30pm
And always follow how sling angles affect lifting capacities.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2019 at 1:12am
Wisconsin Lawn Art.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2019 at 8:32am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

When lifting things, its important to do it safely and with the proper equipment....or whatever.....

And the rest of the picture story is in the link

link
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 3:24pm
this weekend i split the boat in two... pretty crazy. it was about ten degrees out and snowing like crazy as i worked outside for about 4 hours. but i got both halves in the garage at the end of the day.

After moving the gas tank i relized just how bad the stringers are and i am glad i decided to do them now instead of waiting another year.

should there be any fear of the top half deforming over the next few months or will it fit right back on the way it came off?

is there any benifit to trying to level the boat on the trailer or is it just as easy to run a string across?

Next step is to start tearing into the floor and stringers. curcluar saw with the blade depth as shallow as possible? leave an inch or so of floor around the edges?
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 10:58am
Anyone have any advise on this before i cut into the floor tomorrow?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 11:22pm
Somebody with the knowledge help the guy out! Tomorrow is not very far away. I wish I could but have no experience in this department.   
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2019 at 12:55am
I recommend a sawzall and leave about an inch or a little less on the edge.The circular saw creates a lot of dust. Pay attention to the contours of the hull, but even so the blade should bend and won’t cut through the hull. I am not sure how that floor is constructed, but you might start by cutting along the inside of the primary to get a feel for how it will go. That will help on the outside edge as you can tell if something is giving resistance and is not the way cutting wood under the fiberglass felt.

I didn’t split my boat, so I can’t say how much it will flex and go back.
'92 Sport Nautique
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2019 at 10:31am
got the floor cut up last weekend. this pic shows just how bad the stringers are... hydrodyne made it easy with no foam under the floor!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic