NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phyton GURUs???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phyton GURUs???
    Posted: September-19-2018 at 7:35pm
I'm putting a rebuilt (mostly GM parts) 502 into my 99 super air in the fall. Leading up to that I need to get my ducks in a row since spare time isn't something I have a ton of.

New Motor will be in Long Block Form from Oil Pan to Valve Covers. (no exhuast or intake gaskets included).

Old motor is still in the boat and complete. It was running (poorly) until it poked a rod through the side.

Removal/Re-install... Anybody have any tips for getting this giant sucker out of there. I'm sure it can be done once it's striped down and free from the trans/v-drive but it would be nice to put it back in as complete as possible so I'm re-attaching more things in the well lit garage on a stand as opposed to upside down in the back of the boat.. I've done 3x direct drive motors now but this will be the first v-drive.

My Shopping List:
-Intake and Exhaust Gaskets (I'm assuming I shouldn't re-use the latter.)
-Plugs
-Fuel Filter: Is the FCC the same between the Python and the Gt-40? I've actually got a filter and o-ring new in the package from a previous boat.
- Oil and Filter: I'm going to talk with my motor builder but: anything you guys would recomend? Time before break-in oil change?
- Trans Fluid: Figured I would change it while I'm in there.

Anything else I should service or swap on the motor itself while it's out?

In the boat itself I plan to:
-Service or Replace the throttle and steering cable
-Clean the Bildge
-Remove the Hard Ballast Tanks and get the plumbing ready for bags.
-Service the Rudder, Prop Shaft Seals, ETC.
-It's got a few gallons of fuel in it that I will probably pump out.

Anything else in the hull/bildge I should attend to while I'm at it.

MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 10:59pm
- Impeller
- rubber hoses at least hard to reach ones - they are 20 yo
- inspect battery cables and other hard to get to wiring for corrosion.
- exhaust hoses/connectors - probably pretty short but easy to change when engine out if
   needed
- I might consider steering cable replacement. It’s gotta be a challenge to replace with       
   engine in place
- condition of blower / bilge pump.   Not sure how hard to get to.

I run Shell Rotella 15w-40 in my Python. Like a lot of them, mine likes it’s oil. This seemed to help consumption some..

Don’t know about FCC it looks similar in size to GT40.

Never been able to find much info on external parts of Python. Concerns me a bit given what I read about the ecm’s failing on GT40’s from that time frame.

Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 1:59am
The impeller is on my list just forgot to post.

Cooling and exhaust hoses are a great idea... I did all of them and fuel lines on my pro air and I think I’ve still got some of all of the above.... Just didn’t really think about it because my pro air was such a mess it had to have all of them.

Battery cables and bilge/blower are good to.

Glad to hear the rotella, I run it in my duramax and a few other things.

Take it with a grain of salt but from some preliminary research the 502 is very similar to a mercruiser 502. Somebody on PN had info that the ECM was used in various applications and could actually be tuned as well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 2:25am
FCC Is different,it should have an internal regulator and a higher capacity pump. You can make a internal regulator FCC work on anything with some drilling,threading and plugging but you can't take an external one and make it an internal regulator one. That said,the filters are the same for all versions of it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 11:27am
Bueno, glad I can use the filter I've got.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 12:16pm
Trey, I have a Python service parts list on my flash drive I believe. I will try and find it.

I think the only service parts that were really different from a standard BBC were the front drive belts and the plug wires (purple instead of standard red/black).

Otherwise pretty standard.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 1:45pm
Thanks Zach that would be rad if you've still got it.

Glad you've moved on to greener pastures but wish you were still around for the motor laundry list and some seadeck once it's a runner.

hope all is good.
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 5:47pm
Zach, if you find that Python parts list file, I would appreciate having a copy.

Thanks
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:20pm
Is this one ok? or do you still want Zach to look
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Lol thanks.

But Zach can still look.    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:26pm
Looks to be 6ci short.

New long block the same configuration as the original? It’d have to be for the stock tune to carry over. Curious how you spec’d the heads and cam.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looks to be 6ci short.

New long block the same configuration as the original? It’d have to be for the stock tune to carry over. Curious how you spec’d the heads and cam.

Yes to same configuration. I'll dig around in my email for the specs but he had them and I verified (the cam anyway) based on someone else that had rebuilt one on PN.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 9:17pm
I theoretically have the original parts list used for the original python 502 build.

It’s just a word document I think direct from Mark Snider.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 11:35am
That would be cool.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2018 at 10:31am

Show off
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Show off

Someone save that to the archives? In case I ever inherit a Python?
Js
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2018 at 12:19pm
The Everglades are apparently full of them.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 9:02pm
Looks like the Water Circulating Pump is fairly common.

I believe I need a marine version and not auto. From limited research something about a stainless back plate.

Any brand/ vender better than another?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 10:20pm
Probably a short pump, so the less common of the 2 typical auto types. Not sure if all marinizers used the same pump that Pcm did.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 11:11pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Probably a short pump, so the less common of the 2 typical auto types. Not sure if all marinizers used the same pump that Pcm did.

Appears most did... Only a few part numbers in my search most of which fit 454-502 from several different marinizers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 3:36pm

This help?

Yep thank you, same part number I keep coming up with and appears most of them are in the same neighborhood in regards to pricing.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:45pm
Zach you ever find the OG parts list?

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:53pm
I know where my flash drive is I just keep forgetting to grab it and open it up. I will try and remember tonight.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:07pm
If it’s the same list you sent me a while back it’s just the Pcm rebranded peripherals... plugs, filters, etc. No engine internals or anything like that.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:19pm
Right, just the HO external parts+python wires and some gaskets maybe? I can't remember now.
Brit_hunsicker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 10:32pm
So what’s the status on this project man? I’ll be in Grapevine February 10-12 for a work conference. Be willling to lend a hand if you need some help??
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 1:09am
Motor is out, cleaning the bilge and replacing hoses, ballast, fuel lines, etc...

Would love help but it will probably be tucked away in the barn at the lake until the end of feb.... Gathering parts and work is going to be nuts for a while.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 1:11am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Right, just the HO external parts+python wires and some gaskets maybe? I can't remember now.

Externals are really what I’m after anyway. I’ve found a few things I cannot wanted to replace but most things aren’t listed for a python or 8.2..
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 10:23am
Tim might have the file handy. I forgot to grab my flash drive this morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic