Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overheating

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overheating
    Posted: September-21-2018 at 1:56pm
Hi there! My 1974 Skier is overheating.I changed the impeller but problem still persists. Any ideas what to do next? Thanks, Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 3:38pm
Was the impeller shredded? If so pieces can block passages. Are you on a hose, in the lake? Does it happen at idle or only at speed? How long has it been overheating?
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 4:53pm
Lisa,
How are you determining the overheat? By the gauge or are there other signs of the overheat? I ask because we have had members think their engines are running hot and it turned out to be a gauge or sender problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 5:39pm
Hi, I launched the boat in the lake yesterday. It was idling. Noticed the gauge was reading hot, I turned off the boat and pulled the engine cover. The engine smelled and there was a wisp of smoke. Thanks, Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 5:42pm
Oh, also, the impeller was pretty shredded.
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 6:12pm
Lisa,
Just as Brent mentioned, chucks of the old impeller can restrict flow. I'd first look at the thermostat housing and surrounding hoses. See if you find anything and report back.

BTW, the rubber impeller is water lubricated so don't run the engine out of the water without the garden hose hooked up. I've even seen boaters blow their impeller by starting their boat at the ramp out of the water. It's the "lets see if it starts before we put it in the water" syndrome!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 7:23pm
Thanks I will look around for chunks and let you know.
Thanks! Lisa
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 8:36pm
Once you have a chance to check for impeller debris, I'd suggest running the boat on the trailer with a hose, you are able to see water flow out the pipes, or not, as a starting point to diagnosing the problem. Search "Timmy Tee" as the best way to feed water to the engine, if you don't find it just say so and we can find the thread and send a link.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 9:26pm
Lisa,
David's suggestion is a good one since you can do some diagnosing on the trailer BUT, make sure you also take his suggestion with utilizing the Timmy Tee method of supplying water. The danger with using a direct garden hose connection is the water pressure from the hose will mask cooling system problems. The Timmy Tee being an open system allows the RWP to suck what it needs without adding any water pressure. Also be aware of the Perko Flush Pro as it too pressurizes the system masking system problem. Besides, it's a plastic piece of junk anyway!!

Here's a thread with some info on the Timmy Tee.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 11:34pm
Okay, I will look that up and try it on Sunday. I will report back. Thanks, Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2018 at 8:14pm
Hi..so stupid question...where does the Timmy Tee go on a mustang 302 engine (1974)
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2018 at 11:23pm
Between the thru hull and the trans cooler.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2018 at 7:32am
Lisa,
Any updates to tell us?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2018 at 5:29pm
Not good news I'm afraid. So far I have replaced impeller, changed thermostat, replaced a couple of hoses and checked for chunks. Now she won't start...just goes zzzzzt zzzzt. Thanks Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2018 at 5:51pm
sounds like the battery is low on charge right now

Water pump housing could be oriented 180 off upon impeller replacement, its happened to many

Confirming water exits with just a few cranks would be good assurance before proceeding.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2018 at 9:43pm
Lisa,
Maybe it's time to get in touch with the "Calvary".

Calling in the calvary:
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Sent LisaO a message and talked to NautiqueHunter this morning. Between the two of us we should figure this one out and find the issue

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2018 at 10:32pm
Shouldn't admit this but I did the 180 degree backwards when installing the water pump housing before . That problem really perplexed me for a while .
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2018 at 10:49pm
Hi! Thanks! I jumped the boat and she started. Didn't see too much water. I pulled the battery out and brought it back from the lake. I am going to get a new battery tomorrow.
Thanks! Lisa
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2018 at 10:41am
Good advice so far-I've been there with this problem-I traced back the hose from the raw water pump that runs under the engine to the trans cooler-look for dry cracks which allows air to be sucked in-next make sure trans cooler is clear-take off the intake hose at the top of the trans cooler and blow thru it to make sure it's clear to your water intake on the boat.When your sure all is clear, focus on the Raw water pump orientation previously mentioned, make sure your small o-ring is seated in the pump housing -recheck your worm gear clamps-this should get water flowing to your engine-good luck.

PS I too was a victim of the orientation of the raw water pump mounting!!
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by LisaO LisaO wrote:

I pulled the battery out and brought it back from the lake. I am going to get a new battery tomorrow.

I suggest charging it up then taking it to Advance or Oreillys first to see if it's bad unless you know it's 5 years or older. Had to replace the 72's battery this past spring as it did the same thing. Went to charge it and saw that it was over 6 years old. Yep, it was time. Got a replacement at Wally World.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 10:16pm
Hi! So my battery was shot and I just put the new one in. I dropped boat in the lake and she cranked right up. Brought her out and did couple of cranks no water coming out of the flaps. It got dark on me tho...so I will have to do the other steps tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your posts. I will try again in the morning. Thanks, Lisa
Thanks! Lisa
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 11:44pm
Lisa, if I'm following what you did it sounds like you ran it in the water, then put it on the trailer, started it up and no water out the exhaust. If so, once you are out of the water and not providing water to the raw water pump you would not get any flowing out the exhaust, there is no water going in so no water flowing out. Also, running the boat out of water without a water source to the raw water pump will ruin the impeller in a very short period of time. You really have to feed it with a hose to know if you have proper water flow.

If I misunderstood your post I'll apologize in advance!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 12:12am
Hmm, I thought an earlier post said to just turn key a couple of times to see if water came out exhaust. I didn't actually run the boat with no water source. Hope I didn't mess anything up
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 7:52am
Lisa,
Can you post a picture of the RWP (raw water pump) so we can see if it was installed backwards after you R&R'd the impeller. It sounds more and more that that's the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 2:46pm
Thanks! Lisa
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 2:48pm
If the picture actually comes through..the top hose isn't seated properly cause I just wanted to get you a pic as quickly as possible. I was taking it apart again and didn't want to have to do it twice.
Thanks! Lisa
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 3:22pm
Last time I posted a pic it took quite a while to post. Someone said that it had to be approved?? Does anyone have a pic of their properly installed RWP please?
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If you have a RH engine make sure you can see that screw on the side.

If you screw this up you will overheat your engine in a hurry.

No, approval isn't needed for posting pictures. You must be doing something wrong?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LisaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 4:19pm
Thank you! How do I know if my engine is RH or LH? My belt spins counter clockwise.
Thanks! Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 4:54pm
Looking at the front of the engine, if the sheaves are running counterclockwise, you have a RH engine.

I thought we went through the RH rotation back when you had the firing order issue!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic