Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical failure
    Posted: September-03-2006 at 9:59am
I need some quick advice from some of you more experienced owners.
My 78 Ski Nautique suddenly stopped yesterday when all of elecrical cut off. I was running at high cruising speed (35- 40) and the engine just shut off, along with all of my electrical devices. I had mistakenly left the blower on, but do not know if that is significant.
Anyway, I checked all connections, battery, and everything. Temp had been at a steady 160, oil pressure was fine. After sitting and trying the blower and starter about 3 or four times, It just all came back on and started right up and runs fine now, but I did not "fix" anything. I am afraid that it may happen again at a worse time and not "correct itself". It has a commander 351w with 40 hours since rebuild, if that is helpful info.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2006 at 5:37pm
Yikes! There have been many threads here recently dealing with electrical problems. Perhaps you've already searched them. A couple have been related to key switch issues, one to the safety lanyard, a couple starter relay issues. Maybe one can give you some ideas. Have you checked wiring to look for any burning or bad connections?

love your signature. I even quoted it to my wife last week. One of the best.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2006 at 9:51pm
    In order for everything to die, it isolates the problem to the main battery cables, or feeds (ground and hot) to the dash. Check battery connections, and main battery hot and ground connections, as well as the main feeds in the engine harness connector to the dash. Also check main feeds at the dash. It isnt a ign key issue as the blower went dead. Not sure if yours has a large circuit breaker at the engine, but if it does, tap it with a hammer (dont break it).
    If no visible signs, run the blower and lights with the engine off and wiggle all connections and see if you can make it die or get some arching. Be careful not make sparks around the battery if thats the problem area and wear gla$$es!!!!    Good luck!!

Jeff...
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:16am
Thanks to both of you.
I could not not replicate the problem yesterday, when I wiggled every connection. When it happened, I wiggled every connection that I could find. Perhaps that did it. No circuit breaker on the engine. I hate not knowing exactly what the problem is, though. Oh well. As my dad told me, "welcome to boat ownership."
Dude, I cannot remember where I first heard that saying. How true it is, though!

1985 Ski

1984 SW
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 3:21am
I had that problem last summer I think. Turned out the connection where the Negative battery cable connects to the clamp was loose. I tightened the bolts and no more problems.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 12:34am
Your connection at the main ignition fuse could be loose. It's an inline fuse under the dash.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 7:00pm
Thanks, all. I have still not been able to make it happen again. Perhaps, the bit of wiggling that I did fixed it. I guess that I can't complain about a problem NOT occuring.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Poster112 Poster112 wrote:

I guess that I can't complain about a problem NOT occuring.

Not until it rears it's ugly head in the middle of the lake late at night with no one around!
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 1:37pm
That's right. That's why I posted this in the first place. With my luck, that is when it will happen again.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 9:44am
here are the area's to check, wires going to the ignition switch, wiring harness plug behind the dash and at the rear of the engine block, both ends of the battery cables.

I would also get a new coil and have that handy for when it happens again, you'll have a coil to install and fix the problem.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 9:02pm
    79, he is loosing ALL power to the dash since his blower dies. If a coil were bad, the engine would quit, but everything else wouldnt quit.....Right.....

Jeff...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 10:12am
Originally posted by JEFF KOSTIS JEFF KOSTIS wrote:

79, he is loosing ALL power to the dash since his blower dies. If a coil were bad, the engine would quit, but everything else wouldnt quit.....Right.....

Jeff...

let me but it this way, when my new coil went bad weeks into it being installed the engine would not turn over and power was dead everywhere. Only thing I could figure out is the way the wiring harness is tied into the coil curcuit. You wouldn't think it would make a difference but it does, I know from first hand expirence
WackyWillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WackyWillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 1:04pm
Hahaha   
I don't doubt your experience one bit!
JJ's seein' it right.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 1:05pm
So you have wires from the coil going to the distributor and wires leaving the coil going somewhere else? Never seen that.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

So you have wires from the coil going to the distributor and wires leaving the coil going somewhere else? Never seen that.

if you don't have four wires going to your coil then they are spliced somewhere else and it has been altered from the way it left the factory. Will that is if you have an electroinc dist, a point dist has three wires.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 3:15pm
Mine has two wires, pos and neg going to the coil when it had points and now with electronic. I don't know what the original setup was, I know the voltage regulator etc. at the back over the tranny is not original. What would be a purpose of wiring it so that a dead coil would break the circuit?
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 4:31pm
I would suggust that you review the wiring diagram in the reference section pcm manuals and you will see that the pos to the coil is directly connected to the ign switch and that the neg feeds the dash thru the tach and if your's does not have wirings going from the dist to the coil then they are splited somewhere else otherwise.

it will not fire the coil without a signal from the dist. Sounds like your wiring is pretty hacked together otherwise you would have wires directly from the dist to the coil. The wiring diagram is quite clear showing the connections as I discribe.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 4:55pm
Mine is not "pretty hacked together". PCM had nothing to do with Correct Craft in 1966 because they didn't exsist. Mine is just as you described pos to the coil from ignition switch, and a ground wire and a neg wire going bacin to the tach. I don't understand "it will not fire the coil without a signal from the dist". If you hook a ciruit tester (screw driver w/light inside) to the neg side of the coil and ground the alligator clip, crank the engine the light will blink, which is the distributor breaking fire. I do have wires directly from the coil to the distributor, that's what I said, I didn't refer about wires going to the coil and back to the tach in the other post.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 5:01pm
I don't know how yours is hacked together or by who but it has to have a wire connected from the neg side of the coil to the dist end of story otherwise it doesn't fire. Just because you don't see another wire at the coil doesn't mean that it's not spliced somewhere else making the connection.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 5:07pm

maybe this will help but I doubt it.

notice where the ground is for the ign switch, that's why you loose all power to everything when the coil shorts.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 5:16pm
79 you have a lot of good and knowledgable info to share with others in this group,but sometimes you come across in a condacinding mood ,this is not real good a far as a teacher/student dialog is concerned,some of our boats,early 60's are a little different than yours,but are wired and work about the same,share your experience not your attitude. All of us dont have a 10 boat like you, but with your help we can try.............boat dr
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 5:35pm
79, your reading comprehension is about as good as your spelling, oh you call it grammar. There's nothing hacked on my boat. I would call your wal-mart special sony explode hacked.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 5:38pm
well you can either listen or do what you want and hope you fix the problem, I'm not here to teach, I'm here to tell you how it is and should be regarding topics that I know about.

There's two guys on here that always come up with off the wall bullsh*t when it comes to electrical issues and 90% of the time they run the guy in circles with cla$$room BS instead of fixing the problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 5:48pm
Tim it's the same old bullsh*t with you,

you asked how can the coil kill the power to everything and if you look at the wiring diagram it's pretty clear where the ground for the dash and ign switch come from. If yours only has two wires that's fine I don't care that's not the way it came from the factory and you even state that the wiring at the regulator and circuit breaker are wacked.

The way yours is doesn't help this guy figure out why he had a complete lose of electricall power and I explained how he could have a complete lose of power when everything elese looks fine with the wire connections and there are no loose wires or oxidized connections so what else could have caused his problem that fixed it's self ?????? the coil can jack a$$.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 6:12pm
Many years ago my coil died, it still cranked. I put an Accel coil on it. With the coil unhooked, it will crank. I never said it only has two wires. It has a hot wire, from the ignition, and a ground wire. Then there's a pos and neg leads going to the distributor. There's another wire on the coil going back to the tach, not the whole electrical system, which is fine because you don't care.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Mine has two wires, pos and neg going to the coil when it had points and now with electronic. I don't know what the original setup was, I know the voltage regulator etc. at the back over the tranny is not original. What would be a purpose of wiring it so that a dead coil would break the circuit?

I guess your memory is shorter than somthing else
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 6:50pm
You're so gay, you must have d*cks in your mouth or on your mind all the time.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 7:12pm
No funny picture this time, ah what a same.

Same old sh*t wrong again timmy, It just came to me you must teach the short bus cla$$, that's why nobody understands or cares about what you have to say.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 8:14pm
Here's a funny picture of your fat a$$.

"Get in my belly Correct Craft and battery knowledge"
Tim D
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 8:38pm
Holy crap! LOL I'm holding you both responsible for me spraying coffee all over my laptop from laughing! I haven't had time to run around in circles, yet trying to fix it. I'll get to it this weekend. Until then, I'll keep reading.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic