Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermostat & Housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Preston01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat & Housing
    Posted: September-28-2018 at 5:55pm
Hey Y'all,
I am brand new to the Fish Nautique world, I just bought a 86 23". I noticed the engine was running cool (120). I took the thermostat housing off to find there was not thermostat. It is a square housing, i cannot find anything like it online. i need new gaskets and a thermostat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Preston
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2018 at 8:28pm
Might just have to make that top cover gasket yourself. As to the thermostat, measure that opening across that recessed lip and someone here can measure theirs and see if the opening is a standard size If it is a standard size a Pleasurecraft Marine one will most likely fit. If it's a raw water system, ie the water your in is used as the cooling water,you will want a 140 degree thermostat. If it is a closed system,having an heat exchanger and using regular antifreeze then those use a 170 degree one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Preston01 Preston01 wrote:

Hey Y'all,
I am brand new to the Fish Nautique world, I just bought a 86 23". I noticed the engine was running cool (120). I took the thermostat housing off to find there was not thermostat. It is a square housing, i cannot find anything like it online. i need new gaskets and a thermostat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Preston

That's a picture or 3 of a 351 Commander thermostat housing and cover.

Here's a picture from the Ski Dim website to compare to

Not too many Commander parts floating around any more.

You could do a Google search for "351 Commander thermostat" and see what comes up

Maybe somebody with a 351 Commander will chime in here with some more info
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2018 at 9:08pm
Here's a picture of a 351 PCM thermostat in a PCM housing.

The thermostat is 2 1/8 inches in diameter and sticks up 3/4 of an inch above the flange.

This will probably work in your housing, but it's up to you to measure and be sure.

Like Gary said, you'll probably end up making the gasket where the top cap bolts on and the gasket that mates the housing to the intake manifold will be a standard piece available at most any auto parts store or you could make that one too.

Preston01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 10:54am
Thank you for the help. The lower piece of the housing where it bolts on to the intake manifold, the part where the thermostat will sit is square. Is that a issue? or will a regular thermostat fit right in?
Also any suggestions on a soak or cleaner to clean it up?

Hard to find information and parts for that old thermostat. Ha
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a picture of a 351 PCM thermostat in a PCM housing.

The thermostat is 2 1/8 inches in diameter and sticks up 3/4 of an inch above the flange.

This will probably work in your housing, but it's up to you to measure and be sure.

Take some measurements as Ken mentioned. The housing is square but the hole that the T stat fits into is round.

If you can't find a stat to fit, then I'd look at ether machining the housing hole if it's too small or making an adapter plate if the hole is too big to match a "standard" stat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 12:12pm
I don't think he needs to go thru all that Pete, does he? Doesn't the thermostat sit in the housing just like the PCM one? More like this-

Not where Ford puts it. To clean it up I'd throw it in my blast cabinet,you may try a wire wheel if you have one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 12:26pm
Preston

All you really have to do is take the housing to your favorite auto parts store and ask if you can see if a thermostat for an 84 f150 with a 351w will fit.

Pretty much guarantee it will. It's 2 1/8 inches

You don't really want to buy it though since it's most likely too hot of a thermostat.

You could then find one with Gary's 140 or 143 degree rating.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I don't think he needs to go thru all that Pete, does he? Doesn't the thermostat sit in the housing just like the PCM one? More like this-

Yes it does sit in the housing like the PCM, but as Ken mentioned, if the diameter is off then an adapter would be needed.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Take some measurements as Ken mentioned. The housing is square but the hole that the T stat fits into is round.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 2:25pm
Your thermo housing was made by OSCO marine there part number was F-55 Should very be able to find one .
woodyelc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Your thermo housing was made by OSCO marine there part number was F-55 Should very be able to find one .

Woody,
I think what Preston really needs is the T stat rather than the actual housing but, using the "F-55" part number, I was able to link to a T stat. Looks like it's pretty common. Thanks.

Here's the T stat

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Woody,
I think what Preston really needs is the T stat rather than the actual housing but, using the "F-55" part number, I was able to link to a T stat. Looks like it's pretty common. Thanks.

Here's the T stat

That's cause it's the same thermostat as a PCM and a whole bunch of others

He can also find a part number for the cap to housing gasket (F-55G) but finding one in stock at a reasonable price might be the hard part
Preston01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 10:04pm
Thank you for all the help. i was able to clean up the housing and get the rust and grime off of it for the most part. found a thermostat and got it put in place.
Ran into another issue, when i was taking off the thermostat housing from the intake manifold one of the bolts sheared off. Long story short i had to get a new manifold and got it mounted.
Everything is mounted back together like it was, the issue now is when i start the engine it will run for maybe 30 seconds or less and shut off. Then it is hard to crank back and then it will run for a second then cut off.
I gave it some throttle and it ran for 30 seconds and cut off.

Not sure what the issue is or what to do. Any help would be great.
Thank you.
Preston
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 10:26pm
As a starting point, I'd figure it has something to do with the new intake manifold installation like probably a vacuum leak

With a big vacuum leak it will run better at higher RPM and not want to idle which sounds like what you're describing.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 10:59pm
You were able to find a cast iron manifold for a 351?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Preston01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 11:09pm
Thanks Keno, it could be a a gasket not sealed correctly?

Gary, I got it from summit racing parts.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 2:07am
So your sure it's iron and not aluminum? I'm worried assuming your going in the Gulf......
Like Ken says you may have a leak,aftermarket manifolds can have issues with carb to manifold sealing.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 7:46am
Preston,
How about posting some pictures of your Fish? I know we'd love to see it. Tell us more. Have you had it for some time?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Preston01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 11:03am
Here are some pictures of my Fish.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:48pm
Sharp looking!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sharp looking!

Plus 1!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 6:25pm
Sharp looking and short running.

Did you reuse any gaskets?
Preston01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 10:17pm
Thank you. And no not now, i have completely replaced all gaskets.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 1:51pm
The Summit website lists only aluminum intakes for 351w, so I think that's what you have.
If it ran ok before the manifold change, and doesn't now, it's probably the manifold change.
The sealing can be tricky, esp. at the fore and aft ends. Also, the torque spec is a bit different than an iron manifold. It may be the carb base gasket.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic